New Savage 110 mis-firing

I've got several Timney triggers and like them very much. A brutally simple system compared to many.
The Timney trigger designed to replace the Savage Accu-Trigger should be used with caution. Unlike the Accu-Trigger which has the "safety blade" which, as many have noted, it serves as a safety block to avoid the release of the sear at low trigger weights. The Timney is the identical design, but without the safety blade/sear block. If the hammer drops at too low a weight setting with fast bolt cycling, the rifle will fire without the safety blade to block the sear. Ask me how I know! When using the Timney replacement, as stated in their instructions, the weight should not be set below 1.5# and the rifle should be thoroughly tested with rigorous cycling before use! Surely a matter of preference, but I like the Accu-Trigger when set up properly. The hunting/standard design functions very well at a low setting of around 2.5#. THE ISSUE WITH SETTING TOO LOW TRIGGER A WEIGHT IS THAT THE SPRING IS TOO SHORT AND THE SEAR IS NOT SECURELY HELD. I replaced the Savage spring with the Timney spring(only) which is longer and it works perfectly at 1.5#, while taking advantage of the safety block in the Savage AccuTrigger. I pretty sure that this spring is the same one used in the target Accu-trigger, and available as an aftermarket replacement.

You might also check firing pin protrusion, it is adjustable on Savage bolts.

Yep and that is a fun rabbit hole too. The Savage bolt is function improvable. There are better extractors, firing pins, springs, and polish the heck out of all friction surfaces.

I was able to greatly reduce bolt lift and still get 100% ignition and firm extraction. The bolt body should be a tad thicker. Regardless I have retired the original to a spare bolt I built for the kit. The std bolt face has a Savage 'Jeweled' body now and the Magnum has a PTG fluted and bolt head. Both were an improvement over the original. But I still polished the heck out them.

The Timney trigger designed to replace the Savage Accu-Trigger should be used with caution. Unlike the Accu-Trigger which has the "safety blade" which, as many have noted, it serves as a safety block to avoid the release of the sear at low trigger weights. The Timney is the identical design, but without the safety blade/sear block. If the hammer drops at too low a weight setting with fast bolt cycling, the rifle will fire without the safety blade to block the sear. Ask me how I know! When using the Timney replacement, as stated in their instructions, the weight should not be set below 1.5# and the rifle should be thoroughly tested with rigorous cycling before use! Surely a matter of preference, but I like the Accu-Trigger when set up properly. The hunting/standard design functions very well at a low setting of around 2.5#. THE ISSUE WITH SETTING TOO LOW TRIGGER A WEIGHT IS THAT THE SPRING IS TOO SHORT AND THE SEAR IS NOT SECURELY HELD. I replaced the Savage spring with the Timney spring(only) which is longer and it works perfectly at 1.5#, while taking advantage of the safety block in the Savage AccuTrigger. I pretty sure that this spring is the same one used in the target Accu-trigger, and available as an aftermarket replacement.
I've been long convinced that whether you are altering a factory trigger or replacing it you need to be very rigorous in testing it dry before ever even loading the first round and handled with great caution until you are completely sure it is safe.

Adjusting triggers has gotten a whole lot of folks hurt and a few killed.

My brother nearly blew his own head off jacking with a 700bdl trigger back in the seventies.

He unwittingly set it way too low and didn't loctite or glue it in place so it worked loose. One day he's bored sitting in a blind with the butt on the floor flipping the safety off and on and it went off right next to his head.

Needless to say he hasn't touched a trigger adjustment since.

There are just so many ways that could have ended tragically they are too numerous to count but apparently God had another plan for his life.

Recent Posts