Runnig moose shoot?

Hi everyone,

Had a deffrent opinion on one question with a shooting buddy of mine.

We shoot out to 600yds with 308 as much we can and feel confortable to hit up to that distance on game.

The trick is that now is say that he will take shoot at à running moose at 400yds if he see one will hunting... with is 308 20inch bull barrel cause groupe wont open on 6 round like à regular hunting barrel will do....

No practice on mouving target at any range with rifle... and no pratice with shotgun at clay target to...

Told him he was crasy to risk that kind of shot at game if he dosent have try it on target first.

I wont event think at a shot like that with my 338win or my 7mm mag...

Running moose at 400yds... Is it me that is to shy?
The only shot I would ever take on a running animal is if it's already wounded and I'm trying to anchor it. I always wait to get a good shot or don't shoot at all.

Here in the UK if you took risks like this feller, you would lose your gun license for taking a risky shot, everyone tries to make the shot a clean one and not let any animal suffer but with this type of shooting at a moving /running target, The chance is the poor animal will not be killed out right and will suffer, And a great argument for the Anti bloodsport type

A .308 is not a 400yd moose gun IMO. I wouldn't use it for a sleeping moose.

Although I'm sure someone will post that they take moose at 800yds with their Creedmoor. :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents.
You beat me to it. I wouldn't carry a 308 on a moose hunt unless I knew I was getting with 100 yards of a moose at which point I'd probably carry a lever action with iron sights.

If I was going to hunt a big bull moose especially at some distance I'd be looking into some magnum cartridges.

Hi everyone,

We shoot out to 600yds with 308 as much we can and feel confortable to hit up to that distance on game.

The trick is that now is say that he will take shoot at à running moose at 400yds if he see one will hunting... with is 308 20inch bull barrel cause groupe wont open on 6 round like à regular hunting barrel will do....

No practice on mouving target at any range with rifle... and no pratice with shotgun at clay target to...

Told him he was crasy to risk that kind of shot at game if he dosent have try it on target first.

any one that would shoot a running moose at 400 yards running is a fool, wounding a meat bull to die off in the woods and end up as wolf food should never hunt again and would never hunt with me again. I have taken many moose out to 1000 yards but all standing and all were 1 round and down with in 20 feet

Bad idea at the longer distances. My two best whitetail/mule deer were the result of passing on an initial encounter that would have been a moving shot only to take them later during the hunt in a stationary position. While I have effectively taken large game while moving, range, angle, and speed were very important considerations, and hit certainty was high.

Hi everyone,

Unless your friend is Bob Lee Swagger, who can make head shots at 700 yards on a target in the back of a truck bouncing down a third world dirt road at 30 miles per hour, then NO, it's not a good idea!

I wouldn't take that shot as the probability of wounding an animal are high. A .308 is plenty for moose if done responsibly. Last year a lady I know killed a cow moose with a .308 shooting a 150 TTSX. 1 shot 200 yards dead moose.

I also know a guy who killed a big bull with a 25-06 with a nosler partition.

These are also very disciplined experienced hunters.

Hi everyone,

I have shot a lot of driven Boar, Red Deer, Fallow Deer and the like. Shots are almost always well under 100 yards. We practice a lot on running targets to 250 yards but limit shots on game to 100 max. Even with as much experience as I have on running game, and acknowlging a Moose is a much larger target, there is no chance I would try a running shot at 400 yards. I have shot a lot of moose, and if you know anything about Moose hunting, there really is no need to take that kind of shot anyhow. They never run far unless they are on a hot cow; I would work you way into position and call them out.

Aas far as the comment on the 308, lots of moose here are killed with 308, 30-06, 7x57, 303 British etc. In any given year, far more fall to non-magnum than to magnum rounds. My main hunting rifle for Alberta game is a 308 NULA and has been for 20 years. Moose are big but not all that hard to kill.

Last edited:
I shot off-hand at a running deer at 100 yards when I was young. I hit it in the jaw. If I hadn't calmed down, and sat down, and made my second shot count, he would have died a lingering death. I feel pretty confident shooting at a running animal at 50 or 60 yards. Beyond that, I don't even think about it. I have found that an ELK brand deer call will often stop a running mule deer. A cow call will often get elk to run towards you after a shot. Shooting at a running antelope at 200 yards can result in the antelope behind it being shot. Don't ask how I know.

A former friend gut shot a javelina, and we were following a good blood trail. He saw two more, and took another shot with his bow. Fortunately, he missed, and we harvested the wounded pig. He was never invited to hunt with me again.

Fortunately, the chances of him hitting a running moose at that distance are small. I double checked the math, and a 180 gr. bullet starting at 2550 from a .308 takes at least 1/2 a second to get there. A moose can run 35 mph (51 feet/sec) so that's 25 feet or so. Add to that the fact that you really don't know how fast he is running, and the variables are immense. Carlos Hathcock maybe. He claimed to have hit the fork of a moving bicycle pedaled by a Vietnamese kid moving guns .

Recent Posts