RUM based longrange caliber choice.

Depending on how long of barrel you want to use, 338RUM or 338Edge. Everyone says the 338RUM and Edge are essentially equivalent, however 100fps is there for the taking, why not do it? The 338RUM die's are easier to find.

Unless you plan on loosing your ammo in some far away place and are going to buy ammo and shoot short range instead (since your drop chart will not work with factory ammo); there is no down side to the Edge.

AJ

How is brass life between the 338 Edge and the 338 RUM?

Thanks

375 tejas 375 rum imp My gunsmith estimates 350 smk 3000 fps with standard 24" barrel , my barrel is 30 3\4 " 1-10" twist. he thinks I will get 100-200 more with the longer barrel but will see. I bought some 350 sierra match kings from ([email protected]) , they were about $1 each and they have 1 million or so they say. they said they have a solid 350 with a bc of around 1.01 .

Jmden, I assure you no offense taken. I was just showing what a 340 wby would do.

Rebarreling on a rem 700 action, which this gentleman has, all the big 338 choices are very similar. I had a 1000 yard range 20 steps from my shop for years. When the ultramag case came out allowing that much power on a standard action it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. You didn't have to come up with a wby mk 5 action to put you into the big time saving big dollars. Basically a 338-300 ultramag loaded light saving brass is the same as a 340 wby loaded hot with 1-3 shot brass. I had numerous 338-300 ultramags out of my shop before the 300 ultramags were on the shelf. Well over a hundred by the turn of the century. Same with the 338 Lapua when it came out and I was communicating with guys all over the country trying to come up with the perfect improved Lapua to compete with the 416 and 378 cases in a more efficient round.

All I am saying is that there is no majic round. Typically they are going to perform in a specific range and they are all pretty close. This comes from thousands of rounds with all of the various 338's side by side on my range. On average all the various ultramag designs are going to shoot a 300 matchking from 2750-2875 fps. All the Lapua designs are going to shoot 2825-to near 3000 fps. The full length 416 imp and 378 case can go over 3100 fps and some of the 416's I clocked near 3200 fps with a 32" barrel. As with any rifle some may shoot outside the norm and be faster or slower but on average this is where they are going to be from all of them side by side on my range.

A quote in there that if you want a long range hammer and don't mind the expense of a custom then go big. I agree completely but in that case go up about 300 fps from the ultramag stuff to a 338-416 imp or something off the 378 case. The 338-300 is a great and accurate round and the best you can do off a standard mag bolt face with little expense. But if a guy is paying for a custom then go big. Why limit yourself to the slower ultramag case. In the wind here out west that extra 300 fps is critical. All can be made to shoot very accurately.

From all the data on all the 338's shot side by side this is what I would do on building a rifle. If I wanted an inexpensive rebarrel job to shoot long range I would do a 338-300 ultramag if I had a wby mk5 action or a long Sako. A 338 ultramag if I had a standard rem 700 action. If I were doing a custom and spending some money then I would do an improved 338 Lapua or the 338-416 Imp. This is assuming a light hunting rifle. In a heavy rifle I would do something off the Chey-Tac case like the Allen version and go up another 200-300 fps.

Dave I also came to the same conclusion on the 7mm ultramag. I still have two on 31" barrels I shoot the heaviest bullets with limited use. The 300 is not nearly as hard on barrels. But I agree the 338 is the way to go there for barrel life.

I didn't mean to write a book but I looked at all the good input from everyone on here and thought I would put in here the data I got because probably not many guys out there have had the opportunity to shoot all the big 338's side by side.

Last edited:
How is brass life between the 338 Edge and the 338 RUM?

Thanks

I don't think there is any difference in brass life between the two. I shot my Edge 12 times with the same brass and it was still holding the primer (not super tight though). I refuse to use the same brass more than 6-8 times though, as it just doesn't seem right with the loadings I use (2770fps with 300SMK).

AJ

As far as the "best" big 338, or any other bullet diameter, the grass is always greener on the other side no matter which side youre on. Each has different yet unique characteristics. One has to sort through these differences and decide which one is "best" for his ideals.

As far as getting a 338/300 RUM not feeding smoothly in a 700 LA is hog slop. It takes a shorter thoat if you dont have Wyatt box mag and a few less grains of powder and a FEW fps. With the 300 grain BC's you can sacrifice a few FPS. If you get the Wyatts magazine you can throat it a bit longer and seat the bullets to nearly 3.8" long and still have reliable and smooth feeding

"As far as getting a 338/300 RUM not feeding smoothly in a 700 LA is hog slop. It takes a shorter thoat if you dont have Wyatt box mag and a few less grains of powder and a FEW fps. With the 300 grain BC's you can sacrifice a few FPS. If you get the Wyatts magazine you can throat it a bit longer and seat the bullets to nearly 3.8" long and still have reliable and smooth feeding"

Michael,
This is what I was trying to say. I agree 100%. If you go with the .338-.300 then you'll lose a little powder capacity with the 300 SMK in order to have a functional mag. unless of course you get an after market magizine like the Wyatt's or Seekin's. Sorry if my "hog slop" was incorrect, but I meant the same thing. Thanks and God bless.
JM

I agree also a 700 long action can be made to feed the 338-300 just fine. Who knows how many I have done. My comment was that if you do the 338-300 in the 700 expect this extra cost and effort. You can't just screw the barrel in and have it work like the Mk5 wby or a long Sako. No mods required there.

This gentleman said he has a 700 ultramag action so he should be just fine with the 338-300 or the straight 338 ultra. The only problem is with the long 300 matchkings he would probably need to take michaels suggestion there for it to feed better.

Based upon what bullets are actually available now, if recoil is a big issue the 7mm shooting 180's is probably the best bet. If killing power and ultimate long range performance is more important, the 338 EDGE is king.

When Berger starts making heavier 30 cals the 300 RUM will be much more attractive compromise and when Wildcat gets up and running again it could easily turn out to be the best overall performer in many ways. Not that it's a bad choice now, just that much of its potential is wasted with currently available bullets.

How heavy is this rifle going to be?
Is it going to have a muzzle brake?
How recoil sensitive are you?
How much killing power do you need/want?
How long do you want the barrel to last?

It's all about choosing the compromise between the above that suits you best.

How heavy is this rifle going to be?
Is it going to have a muzzle brake?
How recoil sensitive are you?
How much killing power do you need/want?
How long do you want the barrel to last?

It's all about choosing the compromise between the above that suits you best.

Well I have already have another 300rum with a 27"lilja barrel with no brake that I shoot out to 1000yards (I put pics in the pictures forum), so I want to make something a little different that can reach out a little further. My current rig is plenty accurate, but I would like to pack a little more payload. The edge sounds pretty good, but the 375 is pretty tempting, and the edge really isn't much bigger than my current 300. It would be nice if someone came out with a really high BC 30 cal bullet. I will likely go with the edge as high bc .338 bullets are more common.

I would like to stay under 16-17 pounds, scope (5.5-22 nxs) and rail/rings included. I was thinking of going with a lilja 30' barrel but I haven't decided on tha contour yet, and possibly a custom brake from a local CNC shop (working on my own design). I am going to use the factory HS stock and skim bed it, and go with an extended mag well. I will likely not hunt much with it, more of a conversation piece and a 1 mile rock buster.

I would sure like to see a 350gr shoot out of 375rum at 3000fps I have a 375 and i cant even get close to that. What all is your gun smith doing to that case to get a extra 200fps that is a big improvement. I would sure like to see your results when you get some.

When the 300 ultramag came out I necked it to 7mm, 8mm, 338, 358 and 375 all before the 300's were on the shelf. I can tell you and your gunsmith there is no way you can get 3000 fps out of a 350 grain bullet. I couldn't get that out of a 300 grain with a 28" barrel. About 2900 fps with a 300 grain was my tops with any kind of brass life. I have two 378 wby's and between 3000-3100 fps is all they will do with a 300. The 378 wby is a whole lot more gun than an ultramag.

my rem sendaro is currently being rebarreled in 375 tejas (375 rum improved). they say 200 fps over standard loads. i wanted a little more hammer power beyond 1200 yds than the 338.
Just wondering what bullets are you using in that 375 tejas out beyond 1200 yards?

I have some 350 gn smks that I will try first, if I dont like them maybe rmb 370 gn but they are so expensive. I will be useing possably a 300 gn accubond for as long of a shot as possable. I have had good luck with hornadys in my 338 rum.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.