Caliber Of Choice

Hello! I'm looking into getting another long range rifle so I need to start comparing some calibers. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm 14 so recoil is definitely a consideration. Some of the calibers I'm looking into are 6.5 PRC, 270 Weatherby, 28 Nosler, etc. any suggestions or opinions on what to look into?
Get a RCBS Rock Chucker Reloading Press ( and Forster Dies ) THEN,.. Handload some, 168 gr H-VLD's or, 175 gr. Elite Hunter Bergers for, "Long Range",.. in YOUR 7 MM Rem Mag. and buy, a Burris 4 X 20 X, Veracity Scope and learn to, "DIAL" for, those, longer, Ranges.
Lots of, Steel PRACTICE at, Various Ranges and using, Field Positions, will make you, a better, L R Hunter ( get OFF, the Range and into, the Field )
The Scope, Rings, Dies and Press, will cost you about what, a New Rifle / Scope combo would.
You WON'T gain that much with, a New Rifle over your Existing Rifle unless, you Go MUCH, Bigger, in Cal / Heavier & longer Barrel then,..
you'll want to buy, a Mule to, carry, it !

Last edited:
What I think I am gonna do is sell my current 6.5 and upgrade to a different rifle more suited for long range . Would y'all go with another 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284(if so how is the accuracy on these) or 6.5 prc. Thanks
I have, 2 "Matching" Tikka's, a .270 WSM for Elk ( 140 Bergers at 3,185 FPS ) and a 6.5 Creed ( 143 ELD-X's ) for Deer and LOTS of, Steel Practice
( the 6.5 Creed IS, Cheaper to shoot and much Easier on your shoulder and GREAT Barrel Life ) Make yourself, a closely "Matching" Rifle ( Scopes, Trig Pull, Stocks, etc. ) like, your 7 MM Rem Mag and have FUN Practicing with, the 6.5 Creed. IF you just HAVE TO buy, a New Rifle the 6.5 PRC IS, Nice, BUT, it hasn't got, a "Thing" over, the 7 MM Rem. Mag for, LR and Elk IF, the "Right" Bullet / load is, used !
Later, when you "Burn Out" your 7 Rem Barrel then, Re-Barrel to the New 7 PRC as by then, GOOD Brass and Dies will be, available.

Last edited:
.257 Wby Mag, or .240 Wby Mag both would serve you well, either would work in accurate rifles that you shoot well. Good luck Cheers

What I think I am gonna do is sell my current 6.5 and upgrade to a different rifle more suited for long range . Would y'all go with another 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284(if so how is the accuracy on these) or 6.5 prc. Thanks
As @Fiftydriver asked what is your idea of long range shooting both for the target shooting you have stated you plan to do a lot of as well as the longer ranges you want to take game at? That man's focus is long range hunting. Take a look at his site Allen Precision Shooting look at the photos descriptions stories do a search under his name on here and read about the various cartridges he has created and reports from those using his rifles. I would strongly recommend you pay attention to his advice.

If you plan lots of target shooting are you OK with having to rebarrel every 1000-1500 rds? Or will you want/need a cartridge that will go 2500 or more? Honestly barrels are cheap when you compare it to the cost of the ammo even with handloading and reusing the brass. Depending on vol and rate of fire you can go thru a barrel or more per yr depending on the cartridge or have it last for a few yrs. Hunting even lots of hunting (outside varmint) is a blip on the map compared to target shooting in terms of barrel & components usage.

Just remember a dual purpose gun will likely be a compromise as you have to take barrel life into consideration for target shooting far more than for hunting. A 6.5x284 is a **** good round and use to be THE cartridge for 1k Comp shooting but it's barrel life is in the 1000-1300 range depending on your powder choice and target shooting rate of fire. That 6.5 CM could double it or more. But again you have the other part of the equation of how far out is your goal for hunting? For that matter target shooting as well.

Consider also a good quality scope you take care of will last a lifetime so investing there is wise.

Another question is what exactly is your budget for this?

Whitetail Kid - a big hail out from the Great White North...! Take a bow to your fellow Texan - Russell Thornberry with his long experience in the game fields of the North American continent. When he lived and hunted up here in the Province of Alberta, Canada he entertained us pilgrims with tales of his outstanding successes with the 25-06 Remington. One of Russell's favorite loadings for this great cartridge was the 115 grain Nosler Partition in front of slow burning powders and he slew some big critters at long range with often exceptional pass-throughs along the way. Light recoiling, laser like trajectory and with a distinctive bark to its firing, it was a favorite of his and many of us plains and Rocky Mountain hunters too. Put this game slayer in a lightweight rifle with a minimum 24" barrel - preferably 25 or 26" if it's custom built and you'll be saying like Mr. Thornberry "Praise Be To The 25-06..!"

And I/We say "Amen", to that as well. Good Luck WT Kd.