Caliber of choice?

A 4-16x50 PST FFP is $900 and a 4-16x44 HST is $560. My math was a little off but $440 extra is not worth it for me. If you are patient you can buy an HST from cabelas for $400 like I did lol

Sorry, but I'm not trying to be a turd here, but your math is still off. That should be $340.00 difference. Now for $400.00 that is a steal. I'm not trying to argue for I have shot my Leupold sfp premier reticle Marine Corps (mil-moa) Mil-Dot in competition, and done well. I adapt very easily in the field using mil-Mil, MOA-MOA, mil-MOA. I had a very good teacher. I would like to buy an HS-T 6-24.

Don Dunlap

Sorry, but I'm not trying to be a turd here, but your math is still off. That should be $340.00 difference. Now for $400.00 that is a steal. I'm not trying to argue for I have shot my Leupold sfp premier reticle Marine Corps (mil-moa) Mil-Dot in competition, and done well. I adapt very easily in the field using mil-Mil, MOA-MOA, mil-MOA. I had a very good teacher. I would like to buy an HS-T 6-24.

Don Dunlap

My bad just saw that. But still I don't have an unlimited budget so anyway I can save a buck by not buying something I don't need is good for me. You can shoot whatever you want, I'm just saying the HS-T is the best deal for me.

So I have never heard anyone say they prefer SFP over FFP. Me being in my mid twenties is probably why. So why do you guys prefer SFP? I can understand not wanting the illumination and I really don't want it.

I was really surprised the first time I used a FFP scope (It was a Vortex). The reticle got so thick at higher powers I felt like I was at a disadvantage trying to be accurate with it. More recently I have been informed of FFP varmint scopes where the reticle stays thin, but almost disappears at the lower power settings because it is so thin. I have not used one of those myself, but I am interested in trying someday.

Honestly you don't even need a ranging reticle if you don't plan to hold over for elevation or windage. Many "target" scopes designed to shoot very far distances only have the simple plain cross hairs. This is not what I prefer, only pointing it out.

The scope world just opened up a little for me. The video had some interesting takes on scopes, I really hadn't considered getting a fixed power scope. I have always hunted and used SFP scopes, but I guess I just assumed that the FFP was the better way to always go and that SFP was just a cheaper way that still worked. But It makes sense, most of the time with my scopes I just leave them on max power anyway since they are not high powered scopes so why spend the money when I will most likely never change it anyway? All I know for sure is that I want something with good clarity. I really like Vortex for that and Leupold as well. My brother recently bought a Primary Arms scope, I haven't had a chance to look through it yet but he says it's nice and he loves it.

I know your original question was not about scopes. But I'm glad you took the time to watch the video and I'm glad you found it beneficial.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.