Caliber of choice?

MudRunner once you test those rounds you could let me know how they do please? I agree with the larger cartridges being too much for learning purposes as I do not want a heavy rifle and I would like to sit and shoot as much as my little heart desires. So I think I am down to the .243 (I have always liked the idea of it and its versatility) the 6.5 creedmoor (It wins over the 260 for factory availability and I don't think I will notice the 50 fps difference) the 7mm-08 (I have never shot this round, but i have never heard anything bad about it and it just seems like an awesome all around round) and the 308 (this is what I grew up hunting with and every time I buy a new gun I start out thinking just get a 308 and then talk myself into something different and end up still wanting the 308 for one reason or another). You guys have been very helpful! I haven't missed anything have I?

I know the 280 doesn't have bad recoil at all, I just think I want to stick with a SA with this build. But Don't worry 280 lovers, I will be getting a 280 and I want it to be my primary hunting rifle.

Jud96, Sorry for the confusion I never intended this to be my main hunting rifle. I want a great round and rifle for long range shooting, I mentioned the potential as a backup hunting rifle to keep the smaller more "varmint" type calibers away as I don't want those for this, and to keep away from ideas of heavy bench rest only rifles as I don't want a heavy rifle and cant take and walk out through the hills with. I live in a small town in Colorado and my buddies and I like to play "shooting golf" we call it where we hike around and see how many shots it takes us to hit rocks and other things at different ranges.

If that is your desired purpose the .243 will suit your perfectly. It is one of my favorite rounds, and I believe it's the best cartridge to start out with and a rifle chambered in it is the perfect practice tool and it's excellent for smaller game. Get a 1:8 twist barrel, shoot 87gr V-MAXs for varmints and shots under 500 yards, then load up the high BC 105-107s for deer and anything past 500. There are many good loads and powders that work in the .243, and components are cheap and available everywhere.

Since I already have a 280 AI that does all I need, if I were to get another rifle for playing at the range with and I can take out hunting it would be a 6.5 creedmoor. I'd like a smaller caliber, but not too small that is not useful to me.

What does your scope situation look like? Do you own any scopes that have matching reticle and turrets? Picking a scope with the correct features will be more important than picking the correct cartridge.

Yes, I'm Quoting myself. But only because I just really get the feeling like it will help.

Please take a few minutes and watch this video on scopes, even though your question has nothing to do with scopes. I just don't want you to buy one of the common scopes in the big box store thinking it will serve your purpose. Only posting to help. :)

[ame]https://youtu.be/TRpBxLbxhAo[/ame]

engineer, my scope situation is I want to put a Vortex viper pst with the ffp in the 6-24x I believe is what the power was. I have also looked at a nightforce but I don't remember the model off the top of my head. I don't have time to watch that video right now but I will watch it tonight. Any recommendations?

engineer, my scope situation is I want to put a Vortex viper pst with the ffp in the 6-24x I believe is what the power was. I have also looked at a nightforce but I don't remember the model off the top of my head. I don't have time to watch that video right now but I will watch it tonight. Any recommendations?

Vortex are great optics. I have a bunch of them. However, FFP is not always what it's cracked up to be on the interwebz. I prefer SFP scopes, myself. Be sure you are 100% that's what you want before you jump into a $1000 scope and end-up hating the end result, and taking a big hit trying to sell it as used.

I prefer to buy the HS-T scopes over the PST scopes. Mainly because I prefer SFP, and also because illuminated reticle is highly overrated, and virtually never used by anyone who has it...So, what's the point in paying for it. Tactical is not always practical...Especially when it comes to hunting.

Vortex are great optics. I have a bunch of them. However, FFP is not always what it's cracked up to be on the interwebz. I prefer SFP scopes, myself. Be sure you are 100% that's what you want before you jump into a $1000 scope and end-up hating the end result, and taking a big hit trying to sell it as used.

I prefer to buy the HS-T scopes over the PST scopes. Mainly because I prefer SFP, and also because illuminated reticle is highly overrated, and virtually never used by anyone who has it...So, what's the point in paying for it. Tactical is not always practical...Especially when it comes to hunting.

What he said! The HS-T I have is just as clear as any other, and is half the price of a FFP PST.

You'll get a lot of differing opinions on FFP vs SFP; and Milliradian (Mils) vs MOA. Not everyone will agree on those things. What I think everyone will agree on is that the Reticle needs to match the Turrets. So many scopes are sold with MOA turrets and Mil reticle. I'm still not sure why.

Before you go to buy a scope, you'll need to decide if you want to use Mils or MOA. And whatever you decide, will probably be the system you stick with going forward.

Clear glass is important, but not as important as accurate turret tracking. But in the price range of the examples you posted, most scopes should have accurate turret tracking.

I personally am a fan of Milliradian scopes in second focal plane. But like I said, those 2 things aren't that big of a deal. You'll for sure want a scope that has matching reticle and turrets and has turrets that track accurately.

Hope that makes sense. There are a ton of REALLY knowledgeable people on this forum.

So I have never heard anyone say they prefer SFP over FFP. Me being in my mid twenties is probably why. So why do you guys prefer SFP? I can understand not wanting the illumination and I really don't want it.

So I have never heard anyone say they prefer SFP over FFP. Me being in my mid twenties is probably why. So why do you guys prefer SFP? I can understand not wanting the illumination and I really don't want it.

I don't use hold over so having hash marks that are the same value from 4x to 16x is not something I need. I usually dial for windage as well, but if I hold off I know that on 16x one hash mark is 2 MOA and on 8x they are 4 MOA. I also prefer the reticle to stay the same size so it is as fine and crisp at all power levels and doesn't grow in size as I turn the zoom up. This is just my personal opinion, I feel this is what is easiest and works best for me. The guys that prefer FFP like the ability to use the same hold off and hold over whether they are on 4x or 16x or whatever power level their scope is. I have always shot SFP scopes, so this is just my preference.

I don't use hold over so having hash marks that are the same value from 4x to 16x is not something I need. I usually dial for windage as well, but if I hold off I know that on 16x one hash mark is 2 MOA and on 8x they are 4 MOA. I also prefer the reticle to stay the same size so it is as fine and crisp at all power levels and doesn't grow in size as I turn the zoom up. This is just my personal opinion, I feel this is what is easiest and works best for me. The guys that prefer FFP like the ability to use the same hold off and hold over whether they are on 4x or 16x or whatever power level their scope is. I have always shot SFP scopes, so this is just my preference.

+1 i feel the same way

What he said! The HS-T I have is just as clear as any other, and is half the price of a FFP PST.

Could you please lead me to where I may purchase one of those 1/2 the cost HS-T SFP 6-24 scopes, I want one for that price....seeing how most places are getting $900.00-$950.00 for the PST 6-24 FFP. I figure at $450.00 it is an excellent bargain....

Don Dunlap

The scope world just opened up a little for me. The video had some interesting takes on scopes, I really hadn't considered getting a fixed power scope. I have always hunted and used SFP scopes, but I guess I just assumed that the FFP was the better way to always go and that SFP was just a cheaper way that still worked. But It makes sense, most of the time with my scopes I just leave them on max power anyway since they are not high powered scopes so why spend the money when I will most likely never change it anyway? All I know for sure is that I want something with good clarity. I really like Vortex for that and Leupold as well. My brother recently bought a Primary Arms scope, I haven't had a chance to look through it yet but he says it's nice and he loves it.

Could you please lead me to where I may purchase one of those 1/2 the cost HS-T SFP 6-24 scopes, I want one for that price....seeing how most places are getting $900.00-$950.00 for the PST 6-24 FFP. I figure at $450.00 it is an excellent bargain....

Don Dunlap

A 4-16x50 PST FFP is $900 and a 4-16x44 HST is $560. My math was a little off but $440 extra is not worth it for me. If you are patient you can buy an HST from cabelas for $400 like I did lol

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts