Caliber of choice?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am looking for a cartridge not a caliber. Didn't realize people took that as serious as the clip and magazine issue. I currently hunt with a .308 marlin express and a 30 TC, with a .243 win as my "back up" for those two and for coyotes as I primarily use a .22-250 for that. The debate I am at is if I want to keep the 243 the cartridge it is or go to something else that is better. I did not state that earlier because when I tell that to people they just say stick with the 243, it will do fine. I know it will do "fine" but when I get this gun done I want it to be perfect. I like the 243 round, but if any other 6mm or any 6.5, 7mm, .30 cal, or even something in the .270 range would be "better" I want your opinions. Many of you have gone through what I am going through, have made mistakes and have gotten it right. I want to know which calibers and cartridges have worked best, or might be overrated or underrated. Thank you all for your help and advice to a rookie.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am looking for a cartridge not a caliber. Didn't realize people took that as serious as the clip and magazine issue. I currently hunt with a .308 marlin express and a 30 TC, with a .243 win as my "back up" for those two and for coyotes as I primarily use a .22-250 for that. The debate I am at is if I want to keep the 243 the cartridge it is or go to something else that is better. I did not state that earlier because when I tell that to people they just say stick with the 243, it will do fine. I know it will do "fine" but when I get this gun done I want it to be perfect. I like the 243 round, but if any other 6mm or any 6.5, 7mm, .30 cal, or even something in the .270 range would be "better" I want your opinions. Many of you have gone through what I am going through, have made mistakes and have gotten it right. I want to know which calibers and cartridges have worked best, or might be overrated or underrated. Thank you all for your help and advice to a rookie.
Actually, when put in context, the whole caliber and cartridge thing is petty..
It's very easy to determine what some one is talking about when the word is used in a question. So I wouldn't worry about it. I knew what you were talking about when you asked the question.... It's kinda like brake vs break or Creedmoor vs Creedmore or their vs there who cares? Put in the context of the question and forget about it..It's not a big deal... I'm not going to get upset when someone uses the wrong words... Heck, I use the wrong words often... So what, I don't care what anyone thinks about it...
Rant over!!! Carry on...

Ps. I think a 30 caliber cartridge of some sort is ideal... Hehehe
I really think the 300 Win Mag is a very universal cartridge. It can be loaded with light to heavy bullets and with light and heavy charges to accommodate anything and anyone shooting it...

bme27 I just wanted to be sure I understand your last post correctly:) Are you planning on using the action off of or rebuilding the 243? Because if that's the case you will need to stick with something that fits in a short action. If not please dismiss my post and carry on:) If that is the case and it were mine I would look into changing to a mag bolt face and go with a fast twist 270WSM or 300WSM.

In the 60s I asked Elmer Keith this very question. His answer: "If you can't afford a 333 OKH then a 35 Whelen". I think there are better choices now.

If the cartridge is short action then I will build it off the 243, but if I decide to go long action I will pick something else up like a Tikka most likely. What about a 6.5X55? or does the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 do everything it can in a short action?

I shoot 6mm Competition Match, this cartridge will launch a 115 DTAC out of a 28" barrel at 3150-3250 fps using H1000. The barrel life is up there. I am having my 4th barrel chambered right now. The barrel I just took off has just over 5100 rounds down it. The very last ten shot group at 215 yards measured 1.049"while fire forming brass for my new barrel. gun) Fire Forming is a small price to pay for this type of return.

I would say that the first decision is if you want to go with a commercially established or a specialty cartridge. By this I mean one that is in widespread use where ammunition is made by multiple manufactures (e.g. 300WM, 7RM, etc) or one that is single sourced / wildcat (e.g. 26, 28 , 30 Nosler, 7STW, etc). This is a personal choice based on a lot of things (e.g. availability, price, hand loading, load information, ballistics, etc.). In a commercially established cartridge it's hard to beat the 7 rem mag, or the 300 win mag. Very capable ballistics with many choices of ammo availability even in remote areas. In the specialty cartridges, it's hard to beat the new Noslers. They bring state of the art technology for using the latest powders and bullets with mechanical dimensions that work in many standard long actions.

What works for me is a light weight 7RM with 24" barrel as my "grab and go" rifle, and a 28 Nosler with 26" braked barrel as my high tech do anything rifle.

If the cartridge is short action then I will build it off the 243, but if I decide to go long action I will pick something else up like a Tikka most likely. What about a 6.5X55? or does the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 do everything it can in a short action?

There's something very nostalgic about the 6.5x55; it has been around longer than our venerable .30-06. Both have proven the test of time and still going strong.

I have a Carl Gustav carbine (18") barrel Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 that I started both my sons with.

Good luck!

morning, the 6.5x55 .264 and the 7x57 .284 r both excellent cartridges.

both have very mild recoil. plenty of bullet weights. very good choice.gun)

The 300 win mag is hard to beat as a versatile caliber with some legs on it. I use a slightly different take on that though as I use the 30-338. Another 308 Norma.

Since I'm located and hunting on the "Old Continent" my cartridge for all occasions would be the nice and powerful 7x64 Brenneke. About the same performance as the American .280 AI. High velocity, very good accuracy, relatively low recoil and lots of components and readily loaded ammo everywhere. Choose a .280 AI and you are done for good IMHO.
If you are not shooting further out than say 500 yards while hunting 7x57 Mauser and 6,5x55 could be fine alternatives as well.

Since I'm located and hunting on the "Old Continent" my cartridge for all occasions would be the nice and powerful 7x64 Brenneke. About the same performance as the American .280 AI. High velocity, very good accuracy, relatively low recoil and lots of components and readily loaded ammo everywhere. Choose a .280 AI and you are done for good IMHO.
If you are not shooting further out than say 500 yards while hunting 7x57 Mauser and 6,5x55 could be fine alternatives as well.

I shoot the 280 AI also. Great round and my personal favorite.

Years ago I would have said 7mm Rm or a 7mmSTW.

But now If I could have only one rifle that would/could do everything Out to and past 1000 yards
It would be a 300 RUM.

It can be loaded down to 30/06 velocities with a 150 grain bullet for 3100 ft/sec to 3550 ft/sec
and a 200 grain bullet from 2670ft/sec to 3025 ft/sec.

With all of its versatility it will do just about everything at 100 to 1000+yards on any North American game or target.

There are many different and capable cartridges that could do most things needed but the 300 RUM
would be my choice now days. The only other cartridge would that I would consider would start with a 338 xxx

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.