Caliber of choice?

bme27

Hello everyone,

I am new here to LHR, but I have enjoyed the forum and the discussions as a guest. My question to you guys as I am getting ready to do a build is if you could have just one caliber what would it be?gun)

The one I have, of course. :D

I like the 7mm, however many of those cartridges are somewhat overbore. Point being barrel life can become an issue if you intend to shoot a lot. I chose a 280 Ackley, which should't be too hard on the barrel.

The 6.5 and 338's are also pretty interesting as far as high BC bullets goes.

It really depends on what your main purpose is. Where i live, most of my shots are 600 or less so I have no use for big rounds like a 300 min mag. My personal choice would be a 6.5 just because of what i shoot at for game and my range. A 7mm would be my second choice, 7mm Rm to be specific.

Welcome.

This is a tough question with too many correct answers. Here is mine.

30-06. Will handle anything on the North American continent. and capable of running the largest range of bullets from light varmint to heavy long range target. Easy to load for. Efficient use of powder.

The standard for which all others are compared.

Steve

After re-reading what I had originally posted I should specify a little more. So I do reload so calibers that are not always readily available I can consider. The build will be my "long range" gun, out to 1000 yards for now. Something that can work on deer and elk as that is what I primarily hunt. I am more looking for advice on specific calibers, I am looking at 6.5 creedmoor, 260, 243, 280, 6.5X55 swede, 6.5X47, and the 26, 28, and 30 nosler. Any other options would be much appreciated, I know thats a broad relm of choices.

After re-reading what I had originally posted I should specify a little more. So I do reload so calibers that are not always readily available I can consider. The build will be my "long range" gun, out to 1000 yards for now. Something that can work on deer and elk as that is what I primarily hunt. I am more looking for advice on specific calibers, I am looking at 6.5 creedmoor, 260, 243, 280, 6.5X55 swede, 6.5X47, and the 26, 28, and 30 nosler. Any other options would be much appreciated, I know thats a broad relm of choices.

If you looking to take deer and elk out to 1000 yards then you'll need something bigger. The Creedmoor and 260 are capable of taking deer out to 600-800 yards. The 280 is a sweetheart of a round I think its one of the most underrated rounds out there for long range hunting and shooting. Any of the Nosler rounds are definitely capable of your desired purpose.

Oh I wont be shooting an animal, except maybe a coyote at 1000 yards. I can get a little closer than that even with my poor hunting skills haha

I have done it with lesser, but if you want to shoot elk beyond 500y I would recommend something that starts with a 3 and will run 180g plus bullets over 3000 fps.

Again lots of opinions that are correct.

Steve

First off we must not use caliber/cartridge incorrectly...the biggest mistake I find on this site... Caliber is just bullet diameter and can be massive in numbers for any diameter..how many .30 something's do you think there are?? Cartridge is what we should be using almost all the time, maybe it's too long to type? Anyway to the questions, for a rookie, more than likely an off the shelf user a good old bolt action 30/06 would be fine to start with, while learning about all the little things, proper form, trigger use, reading wind and watching mirage, reloading techniques, visiting this site as much as possible, not being afraid to ask even dumb questions, everyone on this site has had the same beginning and have no limits on the knowledge found here..once you get your feet wet and muddy and ruin a lot of paper and steel then while saving your hard earned cash you can step it up in the equipment department...also visit a 1000 yard match, 600 match, any of the groundhog matches in the east and if you in PA the Ridgeway VBR will really sttir your blood.

What rifles are you now hunting elk/deer with? It's pretty big jump from 6.5 CM to 30 Nosler.

Hello everyone,

I am new here to LHR, but I have enjoyed the forum and the discussions as a guest. My question to you guys as I am getting ready to do a build is if you could have just one caliber what would it be?gun)

In .308 cal I'd go with the .300 Win Mag, load it with the 215 Berger and you're golden. The .300 Win Mag is my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1000 yards.

For real world success/results, check out >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Shoot a 7mm RM, 300 WSM, and 300 RUM. If had to pick one these days, for the distances and game I shoot it would be a 300 WSM. The 300 WM is the classic and does have some advantages with heavy bullets, but a 300 WSM can be very accurate and easy to load for, with a bit less recoil than a 300 WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.