Caliber Of Choice

The_Whitetail_kid

Hello! I'm looking into getting another long range rifle so I need to start comparing some calibers. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm 14 so recoil is definitely a consideration. Some of the calibers I'm looking into are 6.5 PRC, 270 Weatherby, 28 Nosler, etc. any suggestions or opinions on what to look into?

In my opinion you really can't beat the good ol 308 for hunting and just for hitting steal and even with ammo shortages you can still find factory 308 ammo even Walmart has few different brands in stock.as far as recoil gos my 8 year old shoots both my 308s with 150 grain and below weight bullets with no problem one has a brake and one doesn't and he says there's not alot of difference to him.and he has shot some of my 175 grain smk loads and he says it does kick harder but doesn't hurt out of the one with a brake. Now like Rick Richard said the new 7mm prc looks like it's going to be a good cartridge and I'm really interested in it or another 7mm cartridge for my next rifle so may want to hold off for it to become available that's just my two cents

It looks like from the cartridges your looking into you would like to stay between 6.5 and 7mm? You are a bit concerned with recoil which is understandable. As being in Texas the largest game you will be hunting short of exotic game reserves is whitetail and hogs. If your family takes you out of state for larger game that would have a bearing on your choice.

Somethings to ask yourself and share to better help you with your decision:

What is your plan for this new rifle specifically? What game?

Do you reload? Currently the 2 cartridges you have rifles have huge support in factory ammo. So handload or factory?

Do you plan to do a good amount of target practice with this new rifle?

Load development.if you handload....Are you planning to find a single good load and just hunt with it?

Are you planning to buy a factory rifle such as a Remington 700, Tikka T3x, Savage, Ruger etc?

What do your current rifles weight ready to hunt?

The volume of shooting you plan can and should be a consideration as barrel life can be used up very quickly with a good amount of shooting volume shooting groups and or banging steel. Example the 28 Nosler loaded with a 190-195 and high energy powder is a 1k barrel life at best usually under.

The 7 prc has many excited because it's new its prc etc...... but it's new so stocked loaded ammo maybe scarce compared to your current rifle chamberings. If you are looking for something soon I would look to a more mature cartridge that has good support especially if your using factory ammo you need to get locally. See what ammo your locally brick and motars carry that you maybe interested in.

If you are looking to add versus replacing what you currently have tell us more about your 6.5CM and 7RM rifles. Are they built for LR or more traditional hunting setups? Barrel twist length scope etc?

What scopes are you running and what is planned for this new rifle?

If this is for LRH what what distances have you been shooting at and your goals? Depending on your area of Texas it could be 500 yds out to miles you could have open to shoot from.

Recoil for even some of the big 338s can be tamed down with a brake to well below your 7RM to even the 6.5 CM unbraked. Still the brakes blast can bother people and its best to protect that good young hearing you have. Double up on that hearing protection when practicing.

I started reloading myself at your age back in the mid late 1980s. Was gifted a used Dillion 550 and Rock Chucker @ 14yo. 45acp 9mm 5.56 30-30 308 243. My uncle got me started and mentored me around 12 yo and have been handloading ever since.

6.5 and 7mm bullet selection is very good for long range projectiles. 30 cal is gettingbpretty stiff recoil to get the high bc bullets. The two you have both have proven track records. The prc and nosler mention have more horsepower at the expense of greater recoil and more cost in both cases. If you're wanting a different caliber, 30 magnum of some sort or a fast 33 or some sort would certainly get the job done. Just lots more recoil, muzzle blast and cost.

If recoil is an issue I wouldn't look at the 28 nosier nor the 270 weather by. As other mentioned, what is the intended purpose of this rifle. Hunting whitetail that 6.5 creedmoor ought to be enough to get the job done beautifully, just make sure shot placement is good.

6.5prc or 6.5rpm are both worthy if you are looking for a faster 6.5 for deeper penetration. I have many 6.5's and they are a great fit in the plus or minus 3k fps range hunting rifle. If you choose more the fire breathing 6.5-300 and 26 nosler are also another fun gun, but recoil and cost of ammo will ne noticeable. 6.5's are cool,

270 Weatherby is another find choice with more velocity than above for 130-140 class bullets. Depending on twist you can slide in some heavier 150's and possibly 160's (maybe on the higher end - but i shoot 150's in some of mine) again a fine choice for hunting round. As stated above - it's not meant to be a fun range gun. The recoil is obvious, but then again in a LW rifle so are many. 270wby maybe one of the most versatile rounds for NA game, right next to many 7mm's the range of bullets they offer to shoot make strong arguments for just about anything under big bears.

Just my opinion, lot of options if you wish and it's in the budget don't limit yourself is my motto :)

Find you some 150 grain scirocco's for that 7mm remmy and shoot whitetail with it, you'll like it! lol

cheers;

300 RUM.

If you are shooting a 7RM, the recoil on the RUM with a good brake will be noticeable, but not a show stopper.

As mentioned, there is a cost for everything. Long range rifles need powder and big bullets. Components are not cheap or as of late, can be challenging to find at times. Not required to shoot long range, but definitely makes it easier the further you push it.

If just wanting a new gun, go for it, WE ALL KNOW THAT ONE.

Depending on the twist rate of your 7mag, that it another option. It is capable of long range. Extend the throat and load long heavy bullets. 180/190 class bullets at 2900+ = no slouch.

I did what Ryan did with mine and have been pleased.

Last edited:
Will you reload?

Will this be a factory or custom rifle?

What game will you hunt with it?

What is long range to you? What is your longest shot on an animal?

Hello! I'm looking into getting another long range rifle so I need to start comparing some calibers. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm 14 so recoil is definitely a consideration. Some of the calibers I'm looking into are 6.5 PRC, 270 Weatherby, 28 Nosler, etc. any suggestions or opinions on what to look into?
Just know that there is a difference in caliber and chambering. For instance, in your example above, I have arranged them in caliber and chamberings:

.26 caliber
- 6.5 Creedmoor
- 6.5 PRC

The 6.5 PRC has significantly more case capacity than the 6.5 CM.

.27 Caliber
- .270 Weatherby

.28 Caliber
- 7MM RM
- 28 Nosler

The 28 N has a case capacity advantage over the 7MM RM.

I understand that muzzle brake is not for everybody, but it mitigates recoil effectively, and there are plenty to choose from. An effective muzzle brake has two purposes, reduction in felt recoil and reduction in muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized but allows the end-user to spot the target on impact, which is priceless.