Rookiest of rookies to rifles...(30-06 question/s)

Ok for context I've been shooting for only 11-12ish years but mostly all handgun and shotty...

One day I found a screamin insane deal on some rifle ammo at an estate sale which lead me to buy a Howa 1500 (I think that's the model number) 30-06...

And then fast forward like 8 years and I've still never taken it out to shoot...hahahha

So I have never broken it in, I have a good amount of ammo for it. I have match grade and normal win whitebox...

Should I break it in with whatever or....?
What all should I do for break in IE shoot, clean, oil etc for 20 rounds? I've read all kinds of stuff...

Anyone else use the 30-06 and is it still a viable choice for hunting these days? Seems like everyone on GunplanetEarth uses 6.5 creedmore or killmaster9000 rounds hahaha
Breaking is a debatable subject. But I do. 5 shots, then clean x 5. 10 shots, then clean x 5. That should do it for most. Any old ammo will do the job. The 30.06 will take any game in North America. And it is usually available and won't break the bank. Good luck.

Answers to your questions Silvershade:
1. 30-06: still one of the best all-around cartridges on the planet. I have nearly all the new-fangled rigs to come out in the last ten years, you know, just because...but I still have a wonderful, beautiful Sauer 90 Lux (circa 1988) in 30-06 and a new custom rifle in '06 that just got this week that shot .259" group with 165 gr Sierra factory ammo first trip to the range with no break in nor other voodoo. BTW, if you get into reloading, I use 165 Sierra Tipped Game King bullet or Nosler Accubond, 57 grs. IMR 4350, CCI BR-2 primer and LaPua brass. I get 2800+ in three different rifles and while they don't all perform the same, they are all MOA(ish) or less shooters. I've prolly shot 1000 rounds of everything in test loads and keep coming back to that load. Pretty much any brand 4350 will work you just have to adjust the charge and RL-17is very similar in performance--maybe a tad faster in some rigs...I've gotten a 50-70 fps faster with that but in select rifles.

2. Rifle Break-in: Yeah, I do it because I'm gonna burn some rounds to get zeroed, meet the rifle and get settled in and because it's fun and it channels my inner Sheldon Cooper.

I use the method suggested by Fierce Firearms since I have three of them and its pretty straight forward:

a. shoot one round and clean the bore...do this for the first five (5) rounds.
b. shoot five rounds and clean the bore...do this for the three sets of five following the single shots--(3-5 round groups after singles) in total. i.e. It should take a box of twenty (20) cartridges to complete this regimen-five singles and three five shot groups.
c. Clean the bore, run a dry patch, an oil patch and one more dry patch. Store it. Shoot one fouler round before hunting or subsequent range work.

You might also shake a chicken leg over the barrel after completing each phase while burning some rose and patchouli incense--no I'm just kidding about the last part...or am I?

That said, I recently purchased a Browing X-Bolt White Gold Medallion rifle off the shelf in 6.5 PRC. Leopold VX6HD 3-18X50 CD scope, Warne rings. I didn't really have a lot of time on the range and wanted to take it hunting on my son's ranch that afternoon. Took 4 shots to zero the rifle--2 @ 25yds and 2 @ 100. Then shot a five shot group using Hornady Factory "Superfromance"143 ELD-X ammo that was right on 1 MOA or a bit more...meh. Went hunting with 9 shots down the pipe intending to return to the bench in a few days to "do all the stuff". 10th round out of the rifle was a DRT one shot kill (125 yds) on a big old management 8pt whitetail (big, old deer, rack in decline). I went back to range two days later with a stack of various factory ammo to cheat and narrow down bullet type for a reloading starting point...I'm lazy like that:). The first group I shot was Nosler Trophy ammo with 142 gr Nosler ABLR and it turned in a five shot bug hole about .375". I stopped there and did not perform a "break-in" nor work up a load since that one was turning in 2800 FPS...I called that good enough with the .660 G-1 BC. Sent the data into Leopold for custom turrets. So, two arguments, two sides of the spectrum from the same guy:)! I must confess--I do like the break-in ritual...more shooting=more fun.

All good advice. The venerable 3006 is a fine caliber that has taken game animals for decades. One caveat on cleaning. IMO, avoid using bronze brushes, brass cleaning jags, and rods. They do give false positive reactions that appear to be core fouling. I have converted all of my cleaning rods and jags to stainless steel and prefer using nylon brushes. I would avoid SS brushes as they can be detrimental to barrels.
Oh wow thanks I will take that into account

I personally like the old tried and true cartridges. 270, 30-06, 308. The 30-06 was and still is one of the best there has ever been. It will perform well in numerous roles. For some reason most of the 06s I've had dealings with shoot very well with little fuss. My son and I still shoot his original 03-A3 quite a bit. If you reload and don't need a full bore load you can cut back to starting loads or slightly reduced loads which are very comfortable to shoot. I shoot H or IMR 4895 for those at 44grains with a 150 grain bullet and it's a creampuff to shoot. Kills the heck out of deer and hogs too.

Last edited:
Ok for context I've been shooting for only 11-12ish years but mostly all handgun and shotty...

One day I found a screamin insane deal on some rifle ammo at an estate sale which lead me to buy a Howa 1500 (I think that's the model number) 30-06...

And then fast forward like 8 years and I've still never taken it out to shoot...hahahha

So I have never broken it in, I have a good amount of ammo for it. I have match grade and normal win whitebox...

What all should I do for break in IE shoot, clean, oil etc for 20 rounds? I've read all kinds of stuff...

Anyone else use the 30-06 and is it still a viable choice for hunting these days? Seems like everyone on GunplanetEarth uses 6.5 creedmore or killmaster9000 rounds hahaha
3906 will do the job. I'm a 25-06 guy. You had me there at first, about the Creedmore it's 5:30 in th am here. Going fishing today.

Good luck with your 06!!! It's Great all-around cartridge. With today's bullet choices, it better than ever!!! Although I mostly hunt deer with my Light Rifle in270 Win. I will be using one of my 06 Rifles for deer in Penn this season. Shooting the 165 Grn Horn. SST at about 2700/ 2725 fps. Go Hunt and have fun!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3726Inter Arms markX  30-06 Jewled Bolt and Exctractor.jpg
    IMG_3726Inter Arms markX 30-06 Jewled Bolt and Exctractor.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 32
Good luck with your 06!!! It's Great all-around cartridge. With today's bullet choices, it better than ever!!! Although I mostly hunt deer with my Light Rifle in270 Win. I will be using one of my 06 Rifles for deer in Penn this season. Shooting the 165 Grn Horn. SST at about 2700/ 2725 fps. Go Hunt and have fun!!!
Dig that polished bolt 😀

I have a hard time wrapping my head around how any of the break in / cleaning intervals could possibly matter very much.

IMO if you're not close to a 1 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards by the end of your first box of ammo, there is something else (besides the bores cleanliness) that needs to be addressed.

I bet you will be on as long as your scope is mounted properly. If I were you I would shoot a lot of that cheap ammo, then clean her good. If you can't get the premium ammo to shoot after that try another bullet.

Agreed. Of the 30 or so weapons that I've bought new over the years I've never once "broken-in" one of them. I DO however clean the bores thoroughly after shooting them, just I do on every rifle or shotgun. Pistols not so much.
I think just shooting one knocks down burrs, smooths & polishes most rough edges or tools marks in a new barrel.
It does seem to me that carbines take much longer to settle-in than other rifles. Just MY Opinions. Whatever your's is - I respect it.👍

I'm curious as to your reasoning of why you clean the bore on your "smooth bore" like you do your rifle but not your handguns? Shotguns are by no means an "accuracy" firearm & I'd say need the least amount of bore attention. Not trying to start an argument, just curious as I said.

Why not just shoot any bullet that you would shoot in your rifle keeping with cleaning and maintenance as with any rifle? I cannot see how any specific bullet is supposed to train your barrel to do what the manufacturer intended which is to shoot any bullet that is safely loaded within SAAMI specs. Same with the deer or other game animal. Proper selection of bullet and bullet weight selected for intended game will wreak havoc on the animal. I get that Barnes makes a premium bullet, but any bullet with proven performance will do what it is supposed to if you do your part: shot placement, consider distance and factors like cross winds which do not push your bullet but carries your bullet traveling at several hundreds of feet per second a little leftward or rightward, similar to an airplane is somewhat effected by crosswinds. Simply seeing your rifle as a tool, like a socket set, there are different qualities for sure, and it will get better broken in over time, just as a Snap-on ratchet, or a Craftsman breaks in, gets better over time. Are of differing quality but do not come with recommendations to only use on certain types of nuts and bolts until so many usages have occurred. Sorry to go on so, but to me there is no mystery as to the type of bullets needed to be used the dayurst 100, 200 or more shots just as there are no special kinds of nuts or bolts that need to be tackled in loosening or tightening with that new ratchet one buys. You probably already can tell I would suggest Hoppe's gun cleaner over some state of the art conglomeration of a cleaner for: cleaning your rifle barrel, bore and action…same with gun oils used sparingly and judiciously. Did not mean to get on my soapbox, but just sayin' feed the Howa correct caliper bullets and if target shooting, the paper won't know the difference; if hunting use size specific to game tested on targets in sighting in s as bd you should find success with proper bullet placement. Bionic Badger

The 30-06 has been tried and true for over 100 years and is still very relevant, as far as break in there are many different methods just shoot a few 3 to 5 clean shoot 3 to 5 more clean and do this 3 to 5 times and carry-on as normal.

For barrel protection. Certainly nothing to do with accuracy. Not all of my barrels are chrome-lined & some may sit for a year or more between outings. Burned carbon attracts moisture so......

Barrel break in is kind of a misnomer. Your breaking in the throat. Even on a lapped custom rifle the throat will have some machining marks since it's not lapped. I let the rifle tell me what to do. I shoot and clean for a few rounds. Usually it settles in and the copper fouling stops quick. In some bad factory barrels the tool marks in the barrel are so bad it will always show copper fouling so trying to remove every last bit of it can be a losing effort and a waste of time. If it shoots good don't sweat it.