30-06

old fart

Hey - Gents , Well while I'm trying to decide on what caliber I really want to rebarrel and chamber this Rem 06 to ,(6.5 -06 or 6.5 Gibbs,6.5 /280 imp)- thought I'd shoot the thing awhile - 175 0r 190 Smk ? loads? stock 24" barrel -just thought I'd ask instead of just picking something out of the books. - Thanks

Old Fart, I am partial to Hornady plastic tipped bullets and would recommend the 165 or 180gr SST. I use the 165gr SST w/ moly over H4350 and CCI BR2 primer.

For match bullets, the 155gr, 168gr and 178gr AMax are all wonderfully accurate. However, the 165gr SST may be flatter shooting then these.

The Interbond is also very accurate and flatter shooting then the SST but are getting pricey.

The Matchkings you mentioned will work but the Hornady's will give you an advantage due to higher vel at similar BC. Yes, the SST's have a very high BC for their bullet weight. Substantially cheaper too.

Jerry

Jerry - just happen to have some SST's left from a 308 session and yes they shot very well , thanks - while you are here - did you ever have feed problems with the Gibbs? did you have a problems with turning the necks? thanks again

Old Fart, with the Gibbs it fed fine in the parker Hale Midland (commercial Mauser), but the P17 would not feed a similar case worth a hoot. So it would depend on the action and the feed angles. I would feel safe with a Mauser based action and a push feed action like a Rem, or Savage. Not sure about the P64-Win70 as I have never played with one. The new push feed should work also.

Unfortunately, that sharp shoulder can cause problems. gunsmiths on this board may be able to offer more light.

I did turn my necks just because I could. I cleaned up around 60% of the neck and felt good about the results. With a normal large neck chamber, turning necks may or may not have any benefits. Only one way to find out. Don't go below 12thou though.

Good luck with your '06 testing.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts