30-06 question

Velocity always drops, but BC is the gift that keeps on giving.

Yes if you push some of the lighter bullets you may save a couple moa at 1000 yards. But the heavy 200+gr with BC's over .600 will come out ahead in drift, and terminal energy, and also terminal velocity in many cases.

I'm shooting the 208 Amax at 2720 fps from a 22.5" bbl. Also shoot some of the 155gr Scenar at 3050 fps. The 155 is a tad flatter at 1K, but with more drift, and less energy.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you on the bullet weight. I shoot my factory 1/10" twist 30/06 to 1000 somewhat frequently. And at 1000 I have 6.2 more MOA drop from a 180 grain than I do from a 150. The 180's didn't group quite as well at 100. About .785 (best) of an inch while the 150's were only about .425. (Best) I wouldn't call that a significant difference.

The weight threshold of performance for a 30-06 supposedly lies at 167.5 grains. More than that, and you are supposed to start seeing it drop faster.

If I ever run across this equation and article again, I will post it here. That information is what I based my previous comment on.

Shooters make lots of assumptions and generalizations about increasing grain weights and how that alters the kinetic energy of your load. Ke=1/2M*V^2

Mass is much less a factor than velocity. 1/2 is really just a constant applied to the whole equation, but if you look at the equation, you see that as mass goes up and velocity goes down, there will be a tipping point... That is graphable and for some reason lies at 167.5 grains for 30-06. which I am sure was exhaustingly long winded.
Drift and retained energy is a very important factor in a long range bullet.In my opinion I don't see a 150 doing very well at 1000. In that aspect..

Velocity always drops, but BC is the gift that keeps on giving.

Yes if you push some of the lighter bullets you may save a couple moa at 1000 yards. But the heavy 200+gr with BC's over .600 will come out ahead in drift, and terminal energy, and also terminal velocity in many cases.

I'm shooting the 208 Amax at 2720 fps from a 22.5" bbl. Also shoot some of the 155gr Scenar at 3050 fps. The 155 is a tad flatter at 1K, but with more drift, and less energy.
I agree. I had posted my last post before I read this...

After all the discussion about 150 to 215 grain bullets. Ans Given COWBOY does not reload. which factory load has the least drop and windage at 600 ? 1000?

I would see if HSM has some 185 berger factory load or hornady superformance 178gr. Gunwerks loads bergers for the 06 but it expensive. Up to 600, fed gold medal match 168 smk should do the trick.

that is what i suggest match ammo loaded with a 168 grain for up to 600; and 175 grain or more for the longer than 600 . Cowboy , i do Not use match kings for hunting. i do use bergers. in a search i found some other brands loading match ammo. sellier, fed , hsm....

After all the discussion about 150 to 215 grain bullets. Ans Given COWBOY does not reload. which factory load has the least drop and windage at 600 ? 1000?

Very true.

Either take up reloading, or look into a chambering that is commercially supported for LR. I'd look at 308 Win, 6.5 Creed, 300 WinMag, or 338 Lapua.

COWBOY- ableammo has fed gm match 168 grain and hsm loaded with 168,185, 210 bergers. i very little experience with factory ammo. that is what i would try in the CDL. i would use a higher power scope to test the ammo. while i like a 6.5-20 and use it out here to hunt and sometimes an 8.5-25., a 4.5x14 is a good compromise. i would clean the barrel and make sure the trigger adjusted ( see remington crisp).

Welcome COWBOYBUCK!

Try not to get lost in all the banter your post generated :D. To answer your question, the 30-06 is an excellent caliber for LR hunting, target shooting, and having fun. I have a Savage 110 in 30-06 that has a 1:10 twist and will shoot anything from 150 grain to 240 grain bullets with no stabilization or external ballistic issues. I was military trained on precision rifle shooting and can tell you from personal experience that the 30-06 is the most versatile and forgiving round for LR shooting that I know of.

The reasons the military switched from 30-06 to 308 have A LOT less to do with ballistic capabilities and more to do with other reasons that most civilians aren't acquainted with. There is nothing wrong with the 30-06 round and it is not outdated just because the military doesn't use it as a standard round anymore.

My advice for you, as you enter the waters of LR hunting and shooting is to take small bites and understand each topic as fully as possible. There's a lot to learn. I have a Masters degree and can tell you that there is enough basic information to learn about LR shooting to fill an entire Ph.D. program! So take it at a doable pace and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Doing a lot of your own research will be a HUGE help to you as you start out. For beginning reference, look up anything and everything you can find by German Salazar. He's considered the foremost expert regarding the 30-06 caliber and really knows his stuff. Also, although they are more difficult reads, you can find great information about general LR ballistics and precision shooting by reading the Army Sniper training manual (FM 23-10) and Bryan Litz's book found here:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/united_states_army_fm_23-10 - 17_august_1994.pdf

AND HERE:

Book / Applied Ballistics Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting | LaRue Tactical

Good Luck! Glad to have you on board!

I shot with/against German with a 6.5-284 ( a very good long range round). i shot some good scores. Never better than German. it has been a few years, i saw him shoot 6mmbr and .308 occasionally, i believe. during one year it was almost all 30-06. besides being a great rifleman, his rifles and ammo were superior. excellent source for information on the 30-06.

I shot with/against German with a 6.5-284 ( a very good long range round). i shot some good scores. Never better than German. it has been a few years, i saw him shoot 6mmbr and .308 occasionally, i believe. during one year it was almost all 30-06. besides being a great rifleman, his rifles and ammo were superior. excellent source for information on the 30-06.

That is very cool! What I wouldn't give to sit and talk with German for a couple hours and pick his brain for ideas. He's the 30-06 guru for sure. But like you mentioned, he's also proficient and accurate with a number of calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.