Rifle for deer/coyotes moderate range

68w

New member but been lurking. Prioir military and police I have tinkered with AR variants and calibers from 22lr to 50bmg but mostly just range work. I recently moved to a place in Kansas with close to 2k acres and have lots of coyotes and white tails around calling my name, my hunting experience is limited to squirrels and people so it is a new variety for me. I would like to get a hunting rifle, for me I wouldn't mind a Magnum, but I have three small framed daughters I would like to share the rifle with as well. Pretty skinny blonde girls should definately know their way around a rifle :)Enough intro.

Conditions for hunting deer max range probably 600 yards, most shots be 400 or closer in. Coyotes about the same, would also like something I can ring a vital size steel plate with at 1000 yards for fun. I have done a lot of reading on the 6.5 creedmoor and it seems the new flavor of the week fits the bill pretty well, also considered the 25-06 as a viable option. I don't want to go much larger due to recoil concerns with the kids. Terrain around here is decending rolling hills with good backstops, lots of long range safe shots available. I am aware that shot placement is key to humane kills and plan on doing extensive practice at varying ranges with varying loads prior to actually hunting, same goes for the kids.

Rifles I have seen that appeal tikka/sako, Remington sendero, bergara b14, several browning/Winchester offerings as well. Not a fan of ruger/savage/base model Remington. Cost for the rifle 1200 max, like to keep it under 1000 if possible. Build quality, reliability, and accuracy are important, and of course personal fit will come into play when I get to the store to put hands on them. Would like to keep it in the family for long term so no cheap plastic throw aways. Also weight wise looking for something that isn't a pain to carry around or shoot offhand, so preferably 8lb max weight before the optics.

Other rifles and caliber suggestions are welcome keeping in mind the parameters. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend a 260 Rem or a 7/08. Both are based on the 308 and use a short action (Easier for a youth to use)

Both have very little recoil if/when the lighter bullets are used and they are very capable of 1000 yard accuracy and 600 yard kills.

Ammo is easy to buy or make from 308 cases for both cartridges.

Just a recommendation based on you needs.

J E CUSTOM

Welcome to the site!

For you needs, a 6.5 CM would be a good choice. I've got 2 RPRs in 6.5 CM, and I am extremely impressed with them. I use one for target shooting and one for hunting. You wrote that you did not prefer the Ruger, but it has worked well for me thus far.

I've got a R700 Long Range in .25-06. If my memory is correct, it weighs in about 9 pounds. I've only got about 25 rounds through it so far, but I'm getting 3 shots touching at 120 yards with factory ammo.

Hope this helps!

Don't fall into that must be a Remington model 700 bull crap, I own a ton of them and dollar for dollar they don't shoot any better than any off the shelf savage, ruger, or any other as you think low end bolt rifle. Why spend $1200.00 for nothing, metal work is not better, fit and finish are not worth $800.00 more than the low end rifles. Check out the new T/C Compass, for $299.00 you'll never beat it...adjustable trigger, clip, flat black junk stock that you'd care less if you scratched it, comes in 7mm/08, and lots of others including 7& 300 mags... It will kill any big game animal just as good as a rifle costing 4 times as much, you'll get over that who's looking, I'm shooting a el cheappo deluxe, that will end when you fire your first five shot group, save your money!

Don't fall for that Savage is better bullcrap. They're just mad because they ripped-off the Remington 700 and people figured it out. :D

Sorry Frank, had to. :cool:

Seriously though, I am a huge 700 fan. I do not like Savages at all. I worked at a gun store for a while (a REAL gun store, not a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop or something like that) and that allowed me to handle and shoot just about all the brands available. Savage is one of the ones I never have and never will like. I don't like any Ruger after the M77 MKII rifles either, like the Hawkeye or Ruger American series. There's several others, but none that you listed.

I'm with JE Custom an that a .260 Remington sounds like the perfect rifle.

Here's my recommendation, if you can order one and have it sent to your local FFL dealer so you can do your paperwork...

Same rifle, 2 different buying options...

https://www.richiespng.com/product.php?item=820461

REMINGTON Gen2 Model 700 5R .260 Remington 24 Inch Threaded Fluted Barrel 5/8-24 TPI Black Cerakote Stainless Steel HS Precision Stock Sand With Black Webbing 4 Round AcuSport Exclusive - Only $1,306.99 -- Remington 85195

I'm thinking about ordering one myself. I have 2 of the 5R rifles (.308 Win & .300 WinMag) and other than a trigger swap, they are tack-drivers (Sometimes better than 1/4 MOA, but average is 1/4-1/2 minute) with handloads.

New member but been lurking. Prioir military and police I have tinkered with AR variants and calibers from 22lr to 50bmg but mostly just range work. I recently moved to a place in Kansas with close to 2k acres and have lots of coyotes and white tails around calling my name, my hunting experience is limited to squirrels and people so it is a new variety for me. I would like to get a hunting rifle, for me I wouldn't mind a Magnum, but I have three small framed daughters I would like to share the rifle with as well. Pretty skinny blonde girls should definately know their way around a rifle :)Enough intro.

Conditions for hunting deer max range probably 600 yards, most shots be 400 or closer in. Coyotes about the same, would also like something I can ring a vital size steel plate with at 1000 yards for fun. I have done a lot of reading on the 6.5 creedmoor and it seems the new flavor of the week fits the bill pretty well, also considered the 25-06 as a viable option. I don't want to go much larger due to recoil concerns with the kids. Terrain around here is decending rolling hills with good backstops, lots of long range safe shots available. I am aware that shot placement is key to humane kills and plan on doing extensive practice at varying ranges with varying loads prior to actually hunting, same goes for the kids.

Rifles I have seen that appeal tikka/sako, Remington sendero, bergara b14, several browning/Winchester offerings as well. Not a fan of ruger/savage/base model Remington. Cost for the rifle 1200 max, like to keep it under 1000 if possible. Build quality, reliability, and accuracy are important, and of course personal fit will come into play when I get to the store to put hands on them. Would like to keep it in the family for long term so no cheap plastic throw aways. Also weight wise looking for something that isn't a pain to carry around or shoot offhand, so preferably 8lb max weight before the optics.

Other rifles and caliber suggestions are welcome keeping in mind the parameters. Thanks in advance.
If 1,200.00 is your max including glass you're going to have a tough haul. Quality glass is if anything even more important than the rifle for anything beyond about 300yds.

If you like the 6.5CM you're in luck because it is available in AR platform rifles.

The Tikka and Savage target/varmint models give you the cheapest starting point.

Ruger has in the last few years really come a long way with both some of their specialty M77 Hawkeye models and the Ruger American.

We've also seen some very good reports from members here with the new Remington 783.

Don't be afraid to look at the LRH classifieds either as there are often some very good deals to be had on nice rifles there.

Welcome to the LRH family.

Doc, let me add this. I've been extremely pleased with my M77 Hawkeye in .375 Ruger. It flat out shoots great and has been flawless in reliability.

I'm a big fan of the 260 Rem which is ballistically virtually identical to the 6.5CM and since I'm planning to have neck surgery soon decided it was time to pick up a 260 bolt gun for this year's hunting. I have a very nice AR 260 but it's too long and too heavy to be practical as a "truck gun" so I did a lot of looking and reading.

What I settled on was the Ruger Hawkeye M77 FTW model. I got it in last week and I'm still waiting on a set of 30mm Rings to come in so I can scope it so I have yet to shoot it but on initial inspection I'm very pleased with it so I'd say give it a look.

Ruger® Hawkeye® FTW Hunter Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I ordered mine through Grab a Gun in The Metroplex (DFW) and they had the best prices I could find on this particular model and they were great to do business with.

Ruger Hawkeye FTW 260REM SS/CAMO 24 Online Gun Store

With the mild rapport of the 260 and the factory muzzle brake (easily replaced with another) your kids would really enjoy shooting it.

Caliber wise though with a good suppressor or muzzle brake the venerable old .264wm would not be a bad choice particularly if you could find one in a heavier platform like the Remington Sendero.

I'm also looking hard at the Remington 5R in .260 for a second but I haven't quite talked myself into it yet.

If 1,200.00 is your max including glass you're going to have a tough haul. Quality glass is if anything even more important than the rifle for anything beyond about 300yds.

If you like the 6.5CM you're in luck because it is available in AR platform rifles.

The Tikka and Savage target/varmint models give you the cheapest starting point.

Ruger has in the last few years really come a long way with both some of their specialty M77 Hawkeye models and the Ruger American.

We've also seen some very good reports from members here with the new Remington 783.

Don't be afraid to look at the LRH classifieds either as there are often some very good deals to be had on nice rifles there.

Welcome to the LRH family.

1200 is max budget for just the rifle, glass will be a separate affair

1200 is max budget for just the rifle, glass will be a separate affair

If that is the case, then definitely jump on that Rem 5R .260 Rem that I linked you to on the first page. That would be your best bet for an accurate out of the box rifle.

I've never owned a 260 , so just a quick question.
Will the Remington have a long enough magazine for the longer bullets like the 140 Bergers?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.