Rifle for deer/coyotes moderate range

Good feedback so far. I appreciate the responses. I am a bit surprised there was no votes at all for 25-06, I thought it had a cult like following. Lots of 6.5mm options seem to get the most support. Remington's higher end offerings look appealing, I have always liked browning/Winchester personally. Have heard a lot of feedback on Remington and tikka, a little savage and ruger. I don't care for savage, ruger has a history of QC issues though I have heard good things on their current m77 offerings.

As far as caliber goes, I think a good 6mm or 6.5mm is perfect. The 6.5 is a little better on kenetic energy side for hunting but both are fantastic for the long range target and most/all have minimal recoil for the kids! 6.5 creedmoor and 260. Rem are vertually identical in ballistics so either would be great. 6.5 creed has better options on factory ammo. 260. Rem has way better brass if you reload. I went 260. Rem and couldn't be happier and would highly recommended it to anyone.

As far as rifle goes. I too worked at a gun store for a long time while going through college and looking for a job in my trade. I was able to text, shoot, and purchased a ton of firearms. Reps would have demo days where we could go full hands on and test every rifle offered from certain company's. Tikka, Remington, savage, Winchester and Ruger all make fantastic rifles. Myself, I don't like rugers or savages as much but more of a subconscious reason. Both rifles, operate and shoot great. Remington and Winchester would be my top choices as I find tikka too light for larger caliber/magnum rifles. I'm a die hard Remington 700 fan. They don't shoot any better then the rest. Some of there finish work is sloppy. But they work and I've had great luck and will keep using them. Winchester in my personal opinion makes a hell of a hunting rifle out of the box, and there CRF action is perfect! Savages out of the box make some of the best shooting rifles (hard to say that coming from a die hard Remington guy) and there factory triggers aren't bad either. Tikka actions are smooth as glass and run same barrels as sako which I believe they guarantee 3 shoots under 1 moa out of the box.

You can't go wrong any way you look at it. Good luck with your choice

The .25-06 is a great cartridge, I love my AI version. But the .260 Rem will produce equal or better ballistics with a heavier projectile, with slightly less recoil.

Good feedback so far. I appreciate the responses. I am a bit surprised there was no votes at all for 25-06, I thought it had a cult like following. Lots of 6.5mm options seem to get the most support. Remington's higher end offerings look appealing, I have always liked browning/Winchester personally. Have heard a lot of feedback on Remington and tikka, a little savage and ruger. I don't care for savage, ruger has a history of QC issues though I have heard good things on their current m77 offerings.
The tang safety M77's were largely crap. The M77MKII and modern M77 Hawkeye's are a whole nuther world.

Winchester had some issues initially following the move from New Haven but the modern FN/Winchester offerings are excellent, at least those I've handled and those friends have bought.

Personally out of all of them I prefer the Winchester Mod 70 pre and post 64 controlled round feed actions to everything else on the market but the Hawkeye's are a close second.

Remington has had so many QC issues over the last couple of decades I'm a bit gunshy of them in spite of owning quite a few.

The best thing about the Remington's is that there is so much aftermarket support.

If the Remington's didn't have so many problems there wouldn't be so much aftermarket support.

For some reason Remington just can't seem to figure out how to make/assemble bolts or come up with a good factory extractor or trigger.

The .25-06 is a great cartridge, I love my AI version. But the .260 Rem will produce equal or better ballistics with a heavier projectile, with slightly less recoil.
One of my all time favorite rifles was a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06 but you're right and there's a better selection of 6.5mm bullets as well as tons of factor ammo available for the 6.5CM, 260 Rem, and 6.5x55.

I checked into factory ammo prices on the various 6.5 variants. The creedmoor seems by far the most economical factory round. I have heard they are easier to reload the longer higher BC bullets in as well. I do not currently reload though I am not opposed to it at all. If the Creed and the 260 are ballistic twins why go 260 just out of curiosity?

I checked into factory ammo prices on the various 6.5 variants. The creedmoor seems by far the most economical factory round. I have heard they are easier to reload the longer higher BC bullets in as well. I do not currently reload though I am not opposed to it at all. If the Creed and the 260 are ballistic twins why go 260 just out of curiosity?

Despite internet conjecture, the standard .260 Rem still beats the Creepmoor in ballistics.

FYC, ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA?t=23[/ame]

It boils down to personal choice and application ...

6.5 Creedmoor - .260 Done Right?

You have the ultimate decision to make, along with the consequences associated with that decision.

Cheers!

Despite internet conjecture, the standard .260 Rem still beats the Creepmoor in ballistics.

How do you figure that? There are pretty close to the same. Unless your talking the maybe 50fps that you might gain. In all honesty, both are great rounds. The Creed does have a better case design for those heavy 140 grain pills. But they both produce the same velocity.

To the OP, if your thinking of a 6.5 mm round, why not get the one that has much better factoy options? Especially with lapua brass right around the corner, there is noreason not to get the Creed over the 260. Hornady match ammo is lights out if you dont reload or in a pinch. For a factory rifle, I'd suggest a Savage or a Browning. Ive had fantastic luck with both.

How do you figure that? There are pretty close to the same. Unless your talking the maybe 50fps that you might gain. In all honesty, both are great rounds. The Creed does have a better case design for those heavy 140 grain pills. But they both produce the same velocity.

To the OP, if your thinking of a 6.5 mm round, why not get the one that has much better factoy options? Especially with lapua brass right around the corner, there is noreason not to get the Creed over the 260. Hornady match ammo is lights out if you dont reload or in a pinch. For a factory rifle, I'd suggest a Savage or a Browning. Ive had fantastic luck with both.

I didn't say by how much... 50 FPS faster is still winning. :D

Lapua also makes .260 Rem brass.

You're right, they're both good rounds.

Don't fall into that must be a Remington model 700 bull crap, I own a ton of them and dollar for dollar they don't shoot any better than any off the shelf savage, ruger, or any other as you think low end bolt rifle. Why spend $1200.00 for nothing, metal work is not better, fit and finish are not worth $800.00 more than the low end rifles. Check out the new T/C Compass, for $299.00 you'll never beat it...adjustable trigger, clip, flat black junk stock that you'd care less if you scratched it, comes in 7mm/08, and lots of others including 7& 300 mags... It will kill any big game animal just as good as a rifle costing 4 times as much, you'll get over that who's looking, I'm shooting a el cheappo deluxe, that will end when you fire your first five shot group, save your money!
I just checked out the TC Compass.
I'm a big TC fan, and I'm going to grab one in 7-08 as soon as I can...

I don't know much about the budget line rifles but I have seen a couple mentions of the TC, may consider it for a truck gun. What makes it better than ruger American/Mossberg patriot/ win xpr etc etc

I don't know much about the budget line rifles but I have seen a couple mentions of the TC, may consider it for a truck gun. What makes it better than ruger American/Mossberg patriot/ win xpr etc etc
Probably not much better, with the exception of the 5r Rifling and the threaded muzzle.
The Ruger American Predator is threaded, I really like mine in 6.5 Creedmoor.
But if the Compass shoots anything like my TC Venture then it's a winner.
I think TC is trying to fit better in the budget rifle market. The Venture was supposed to do that but other companies have come out with cheaper really great shooting rifles..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.