Long range mule deer rifle

If you are going light for cal with the 30s and 7mm you need to drop down to the 130s for the 6.5-06.

These examples were the suggestion of a previous poster. So in order to stay within the discussion, I found my data from my testing with those bullets.

But, if you think this will make a significant difference, here is my data for the 130 class VLD. Same format as above:

Vel= 1811... ft/lbs= 946... Drop= 187.8"... Drift= 51.3"

I routinely test and hunt with the 130 class bullets instead of the 140s. Most of my competition loads use a 130 class bullet.

Been on many mulie hunts and I've never shot one over 250 yards and most are closer because I'm a believe in hunt and stalk. I'm not a believer in shooting at distance unless absolutely necessary.

I consider a 800-1000 yard shot on a mulie borderline unethical or just lazy because you don't want to practice ethical hunting where you have to get close.

Whatever floats you boat I guess.

But then I also bow hunt and then you have to get REALLY close.

With me, hunting is about the stalk as much as the kill. Obviously not the same with you.

Been on many mulie hunts and I've never shot one over 250 yards and most are closer because I'm a believe in hunt and stalk. I'm not a believer in shooting at distance unless absolutely necessary.

I consider a 800-1000 yard shot on a mulie borderline unethical or just lazy because you don't want to practice ethical hunting where you have to get close.

With me, hunting is about the stalk as much as the kill. Obviously not the same with you.
It's just as easy to just go on by instead of you not agreeing on how some of us choose to hunt and being critical, last time I looked this forum is LONG RANGE HUNTING, so my question is why are you even a member.

.280 ai. You can buy the brass off the shelf or you can buy loaded ammo. The ammo is hard to find and not many choices. If you reload the possibilities are endless.

Attachments

• 91007DA9-E733-4041-A6CE-578BE80F430A.jpeg
    91007DA9-E733-4041-A6CE-578BE80F430A.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 231
The two cartridges I'd recommend are the 6.5-284 and the 270WSM. My preference personally, (I have both) would be the 270WSM. In the 270WSM I shoot 145 grain Hammers and love them. It was easy to work up a load and find the perfect node. I shoot them touching the lands. Just as important as your choice in cartridge when shooting these distances is your choice in a scope. You need to accurately dial in yardage as well as windrift. Mount a Nightforce 3.5-15 with zero stop, or better yet a NXS 5.5-22 and you can accurately range your shots out to 1,000 yards. If you're going with Ackley Improved, AI, my choice would be the 7mm Mauser AI. Great selection of brass and you can always purchase standard 7x57 ammo and fireform it just be shooting with it.Always been a fan of the Mauser and have three different Mausers at home.

Both Nosler and Barnes make great 168 grain long distance bullets in 284.

Last edited:
These examples were the suggestion of a previous poster. So in order to stay within the discussion, I found my data from my testing with those bullets.

But, if you think this will make a significant difference, here is my data for the 130 class VLD. Same format as above:

Vel= 1811... ft/lbs= 946... Drop= 187.8"... Drift= 51.3"

I routinely test and hunt with the 130 class bullets instead of the 140s. Most of my competition loads use a 130 class bullet.
Guess I should read the thread. I also use 130s in my 6.5s for the most part.

Have your gunsmith open the bolt face and rechamber to something like .308 Norma Mag, .30-338, 300 RSAUM, and 30-284 Win (however it runs pretty close to the .06 in performance but very accurate,) then you don't bother with the bolt face'..., I could go on but I've always liked these four, as a fifth I'd look hard at the 7.5x55mm Swede pretty much a .30-284 Win when you bring out the calipers, and keep the barrel if it's in good shape.
You can also open up the bolt face and chamber for a 338 Norma mag. It will fit in in a standard length action, but have ballistics close to a 338 Lapua. The case is shorter with a longer neck which allows seating longer bullets further out for better accuracy

It's just as easy to just go on by instead of you not agreeing on how some of us choose to hunt and being critical, last time I looked this forum is LONG RANGE HUNTING, so my question is why are you even a member.

My personal maximum range is 500 yards, and this is because I don't practice shooting at ranges beyond that. There's a multitude of guys who do, though, and maybe one day ( hopefully soon ) I'll be among of them. If they are proficient to shoot big game at several hundred yards, I think that it's just fine & dandy to do so.

I used to think that 300 yards was a sensible maximum range, and for me it was - due to my shooting proficiency being limited to that distance. Well, that has changed, and will probably continue to change. I think that the person who should judge how far is too far is the guy who is behind the gun. Only he knows the outer limits of his own proficiency, and it may not be the same today as it was last deer season - or next.

Looking to either buy or build a long range mule deer rifle. I have an older r700 30-06 and am thinking about rebarrelling it to something. Not quite sure yet so I need some help. What are your thoughts on a rifle cartridge that can reach out and kill a deer at 800-1000 yards?

Yeah I've thought about the SAUM but would have to get a different action/bolt face. Maybe a 6.5-284 or a 280 Ackley Improved.

You can also open up the bolt face and chamber for a 338 Norma mag. It will fit in in a standard length action, but have ballistics close to a 338 Lapua. The case is shorter with a longer neck which allows seating longer bullets further out for better accuracy

I wondered how long it would take to get someone to suggest a Lapua Mag size case? Only 9 pages from a .30-06 size case to the .338 Norma Mag!;)

Over the past twenty years or so a new community of hunters have emerged; they derive their pleasure in hunting by seeing how far they can effectively shoot their quarry. In short they view the challenge in terms of distance. Old school hunters view shooting an animal at 1,000 yards as unethical, there is no sport in long range hunting. Us older hunters believe that an essential element to hunting is the stalk, being able to get as close as possible without your quarry knowing. Two very different types of hunters. I think there's room for both types of hunters in our sport. Part of it is recognising both points of view. It takes a great deal of skill to build a rifle and master one that's capable of efficiently killing at 1,000 yards, and do it consistently. It also takes a great deal of skill to hunt your quarry, to be able to stalk your quarry and get within fifty feet without the animal knowing. The key is respecting the different types of hunter and accept that both forms of hunting have merit.
I don't have the skill set to still hunt and get within 20-30 yards without the animal seeing me. Something bow hunters perfect. I also lack the skill to consistently hit a target at 1,000 yards. 300-400 yards is my limit. We have enough anti hunters attacking us without hunters splintering into different groups. Respect for each type of hunting is needed. Animals are not targets, they're living creatures that deserve humane hunting. Just as a bow hunter needs to perfect his shooting skills to consistently hit their prey consistently at 20-30 yards, long range hunters need to perfect their shooting skills to ensure they can kill effectively at 800-1000 yards before going afield. The hunting community grows smaller every year, we need to encourage people to engage in our sport. The last thing we need is infighting.

The two cartridges I'd recommend are the 6.5-284 and the 270WSM. My preference personally, (I have both) would be the 270WSM. In the 270WSM I shoot 145 grain Hammers and love them. It was easy to work up a load and find the perfect node. I shoot them touching the lands. Just as important as your choice in cartridge when shooting these distances is your choice in a scope. You need to accurately dial in yardage as well as windrift. Mount a Nightforce 3.5-15 with zero stop, or better yet a NXS 5.5-22 and you can accurately range your shots out to 1,000 yards. If you're going with Ackley Improved, AI, my choice would be the 7mm Mauser AI. Great selection of brass and you can always purchase standard 7x57 ammo and fireform it just be shooting with it.Always been a fan of the Mauser and have three different Mausers at home.

Both Nosler and Barnes make great 168 grain long distance bullets in 284.

The 300 norma is a great choice I have one I built on a sportsman 78 30-06 it's a sub 1/2 minute gun with 230 Berger's I am in the middle of building a 7-300 norma imp for a customer now it's on a stainless steel 700 that was a 7mag we are looking forward to shooting soon

The 300 norma is a great choice I have one I built on a sportsman 78 30-06 it's a sub 1/2 minute gun with 230 Berger's I am in the middle of building a 7-300 norma imp for a customer now it's on a stainless steel 700 that was a 7mag we are looking forward to shooting soon