long range mule deer

huntnm2001

I'm just finishing up my build of a 300 rum on a savage action and now I'm excited to do another build already. The rum will be used for elk and oryx so I'm thinking about a medium caliber for deer and maybe antelope if I can ever get a tag. I already have a 270 wsm in a tikka but its not really suitable for long range. I've been thinking about something in the 6- 6.5 mm range and I almost bought a .257 weatherby the other day ha ha. So what would you build? My gunsmith suggested a 6.5-06 because he has the reamers for it. Anyway opinions wanted. Availability of factory ammo isn't a big concern because I reload.

I'm in the Same boat, last year in Idaho I brought just one rifle my 338-06 which was perfect for elk, when it was time to focus on mule deer I noticed that I didn't have the range for some of those huge canyons. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm mag here which I thought about just rebarreling with a longer barrel than the stock rem barrel. However I've read some great things on the 6.5-06 as well as 260 rem.

i guess I like th 7RM myself. Flat shooting, plenty of power, but not overwhelming. I don't know a lot about the ability to customize, but that 270WSM you have would be a great muley caliber for long range. Just my two cents I guess. A ton of good calibers out there

Nothing wrong with the 270 WSM, or .257 Weatherby in good rifles. Nothing wrong with a 6.5-06, although I usually ask "Isn't that what we used to call a 270" just to keep the conversation revved up.

If your serious about long range deer and antelope, nothing wrong with a .300 RUM either.

I have somewhat done the same with a 300WM for larger game and ELR shooting, and a 6.5 for medium game to 1000 yards, coyotes farther. They make a nice combo. The 6.5-06 or 6.5x 284 are good cartridges in this caliber with the latter being a cartridge you might consider. I'm partial to the 6.5x284, preferring the case design, and benchrest level accuracy I just happen to have experienced out of my rifles at LR.

I am waiting on my 6.5MM-06 back from Heart hopefully this month! I chose this round for whitetails for the following reasons:

Bullet selection (you don't get this with the .25 or .270 IMO)
Lapua brass is available in 30-06. or you can buy 6.5mm-o6 brass and don't have to resize (this knocked some others out, not the .284)
Feeds well (vs. the .284) because of the case design.
Case Capacity (its just a little bit bigger than the .284)
Don't have to mill the bolt face if you use a rem700 you might have bought in 06 or 270 or 280 or...
long range shooters win more often with 6.5mm and 30 cal bullets rather than other rounds at long range... nothing scientific here, though it votes better for the 6.5-284
Range of bullet weights (95ish to 160ish)
none of these are game changers, they don't all point to just one round.

I'm SURE :rolleyes:I haven't angered anybody who likes other rounds for other or even the same reasons so I would say that these are simply my personal preferences. again, this is how I came to the conclusion.

Good bullet is 6.5 and .284

I'd pick 6.5mm 140grain bullet or 180gr bullet for 284.

If you prefer Lapua brass then get 6.5x284. You decide if you want to use 6.5 or expand the neck to 284.
Both have low recoil and shoot very good.

I am about a hour and a half from you. I'd recommend a 6.5-284 with Berger 140 VLDs.
I took a of big mule deer last year at 626, a 370" elk this year at 473, and a 169" mule deer this year at 634.

I would say that 270wsm would suit you just fine for what your wanting. A 130 berger classic hunter with a bc of .497 launched at 3150+ is tough to beat. Your looking at spending a lot of money to build something that's not going to beat it by a whole hell of a lot ballistically speaking. The biggest upside to me for wanting the 6.5-06 is that it is a more efficient cartridge with less recoil.

Now I am a little bias but I have no qualms about recommending the 257 WTBY mag. That round is BAD deer medicine. I have been hunting deer both whitetail and mulies and I have killed lots. 257 WTBY turns the lights out on deer...... I killed a Mulie a few years ago at 590 yds stone cold dead when I pulled the trigger. My whitetail this year 40 yds dropped dead didn't even twitch.... Roy Weatherby built this round right...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.