Recommendation for Moderate-Long Range AR-15 Scope

RLW17

Hello, I'm new to posting here, though I've been a long-time reader of these forums.

I'm having a Flat-top AR (.556, 22in fluted ss barrel, magpul stock, psg1 grip, etc) built for coyotes, ground hogs, and some casual long range shooting (hunting 500yds or less, but I may try and shoot some iron out to 650-ish yds).

I wanted to know if anyone here more experienced in the realm of optics could give me some scope recommendations. I would ideally like:

- Mil-dot or MRAD - personal preference
- First focal plane reticle
- Adjustable rather than fixed magnification
- Large enough to use in lower light - coyotes
- Possibly illuminated for the same reason - though not a requirement
- Price under $750 ideally - from research I have done that may be a stretch...

I have looked at SWFA SS MRAD 3-15x42mm, but have only purchased two scopes in the past so I wanted to get some more experienced opinions on that particular scope - or suggestions of others you guys have used. I have done a bit of reading on them lately but wanted some real-world opinions.

Thanks for any help you can give me guys!

I'd ditch your FFP reticle requirement, pick up a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 in 3-9x40 with the illuminated TMR for $400, and the rest of your budget will almost get you a decent rangefinder.

The only benefit I'm aware of for a FFP reticle is being able to range with the reticle on any power. Even in 110 degree heat 9x won't be too high to use with mirage so you shouldn't ever need to dial back the magnification in order to range. I also don't imagine ranging with the reticle works well with very small targets. Humans sure, deer and game down to the size of coyotes, but I don't see anyone identifying if a groundhog is at 450 yards or 500 yards by measuring him with their reticle.

Those scopes have great glass, Mil/Mil BDC turrets to dial in the exact range once you use your rangefinder (even come calibrated for a .223 55 gr round), and you can use the hash marks in the reticle for wind holds or quick follow up shots if you are off or need to hold over. Illuminated reticle visible day or night as well. Hard to beat for those uses IMO.

I'd ditch your FFP reticle requirement, pick up a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 in 3-9x40 with the illuminated TMR for $400, and the rest of your budget will almost get you a decent rangefinder.

The only benefit I'm aware of for a FFP reticle is being able to range with the reticle on any power. Even in 110 degree heat 9x won't be too high to use with mirage so you shouldn't ever need to dial back the magnification in order to range. I also don't imagine ranging with the reticle works well with very small targets. Humans sure, deer and game down to the size of coyotes, but I don't see anyone identifying if a groundhog is at 450 yards or 500 yards by measuring him with their reticle.

Those scopes have great glass, Mil/Mil BDC turrets to dial in the exact range once you use your rangefinder (even come calibrated for a .223 55 gr round), and you can use the hash marks in the reticle for wind holds or quick follow up shots if you are off or need to hold over. Illuminated reticle visible day or night as well. Hard to beat for those uses IMO.

Thank you very much for the suggestion Gator! That kind of insight is just what I was looking for.

I have had many high end and low end scopes for my go to coyote/prairie dog AR15 .223 and I have settled on a VX-R Leupold 4.5-14. It does is all for me.

The MK AR optic is a good choice. but for a long range rig, I would put the 6-18 version on it.

My current "long range" AR15 wears a 6.5-20 vortex viper and I have no complaints.

I have had many high end and low end scopes for my go to coyote/prairie dog AR15 .223 and I have settled on a VX-R Leupold 4.5-14. It does is all for me.

The MK AR optic is a good choice. but for a long range rig, I would put the 6-18 version on it.

My current "long range" AR15 wears a 6.5-20 vortex viper and I have no complaints.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've actually been looking at both of those options as well. The only scopes I have are a few 3x9's on some hunting rifles and a cheap 4-16x42 on a .243 model 70 (scope that was on it when i bought it) - so I don't have a lot of experience with higher-end scopes - but i'm learning more every day!

I appreciate all of the input, this has helped me narrow down my choices a lot.

The Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 will work well too. Although it's not FFP, it is available with MRAD turrets with matching reticle. For around $550 it's hard to beat. I have one on my .308 bolt gun that I'm impressed with every time I take it out. Especially for the price I paid for it.

The Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 will work well too. Although it's not FFP, it is available with MRAD turrets with matching reticle. For around $550 it's hard to beat. I have one on my .308 bolt gun that I'm impressed with every time I take it out. Especially for the price I paid for it.

I have the midway special run Vortex Viper 5-15 mil/mil and it was like $399 on sale year or so ago and would highly recommend it for your AR. Wish I'd of ordered two. As I have it on my Abolt 270wsm and it fits perfect and would like another on my AR as well.

Gene

I also have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on my AR. Make sure you get a quick release mount or rings as it's very nice to be able to remove your scope while cleaning your rifle.

My main target ar has a Nikon p-223. 3-12 workes perfect for what you want and has lasted me many years. Unfortunately I believe Nikon is no longer in the market.
So with your requirements for distance and use I would say look at the vortex 2-10. That is what a few of mine are sporting and it's my favorite mag range for my hunting ar's.
Don't fall into the more magnification is better trap. It has a purpose but not necessarily for your range or a .223.
As for lighted retical I prefer not to have them.
Have a few but I've noticed in low light it can wash out the intended target or make much harder to see. But that will be dependent on your eyes really.