Best 6.5 CM Hunting Bullet for Moderate Long Range Distances

MoreSalsa

For my 6.5 creedmoor, I plan to use some monolithic bullet loads as my go-to for medium big game (deer, antelope, hogs). My one concern is that it looks like below 2,000 fps, you start to run into expansion problems, and with my 24'' barrel, I'm guessing most loads will hit that threshold before 400 yards. So, I'm thinking about trying to decide on a (lead) option for longer ranges when I'm not in a lead-free-only area. I'd like it to be something with good weight retention, and definitely not anything prone to fragmentation (I like my meat without lead [CLARIFICATION: I know this is possible with any lead bullet, but I'm saying that it would be good to have a bullet that is less likely to do a lot of spreading of lead throughout the meat]).
High BC would also be preferable since this is longer ranges. [CLARIFICATION - BC might not really be a factor at the ranges I'm talking about ... if so, a small factor. So maybe this shouldn't even be a consideration.]

I have been able to get a few boxes of Barnes Vor-Tx LR, so maybe that drops the threshold down a few hundred fps. But from what I've seen, I'd still be reluctant to trust those bullets out much farther than 400 yards.

I won't be taking any super long shots, so this question is really about the 300-something to 500-something yard range. At that point, the bullet is running out of energy anyway.

I'm not currently handloading, so I want the bullet in a factory load.

I know that there are a lot of bullets that will do the job (ELDX, partitions to name a few), but not sure what the best options are for what I describe as of 2022.

Last edited:
You are playing on the edge of performance with the 6.5CM at those ranges. It's to the point of asking about your hunting altitude because that can make a couple hundred fps difference. T

he 127gr LRX is what I'm working with in terms of monos right now. I haven't found a tack driving load with those yet like I have with Bergers,. But at 1K altitude leaving at a conservative 2900fps gets you 2066fs at 500. At 5K altitude, it's still going 2247.

I have killed hogs and deer inside 200 yards with a 277 130gr TSX and TTSX and they are devastating at those impact speeds (2600-2750fps). But between loss of energy and velocity I consider even the 270 to be limited to 500 yards. I stepped up to a 7RM for beyond 500. Even that only gets me 150 yards past a 270.

For the led-allowed states, there are a lot of high BC choices that will get you to the distances you want, but still have penetration and expansion. Lots of threads here on that. Bergers, ELDXs, etc.

But I'm not sure you're going to get there with monos at that distance and have the performance you're looking for. They just don't have the high BCs, and they need to be going fast to perform. Barnes says 1800+ but I'd up that to 2000-2200 just cuz. That's why you might some around here refer to it as the 6.5 Needmore. Not me- to me it is a fun round and it is what it is. A little more umph than a 243.

Thanks Shootin4fun. This is what I'm interested in: "For the led-allowed states, there are a lot of high BC choices that will get you to the distances you want, but still have penetration and expansion. Lots of threads here on that. Bergers, ELDXs, etc."

I think once I know what the best (as of 2022) lead bullets are for high BC + low velocity expansion (with good weight retention), I can then go out and do more research. Just looking for those recommendations. I've read a lot of threads that sort of overlap with what I'm asking for, but a lot of the info is dated and not quite on point so thought I'd ask.

For my 6.5 creedmoor, I plan to use some monolithic bullet loads as my go-to for medium big game (deer, antelope, hogs). My one concern is that it looks like below 2,000 fps, you start to run into expansion problems, and with my 24'' barrel, I'm guessing most loads will hit that threshold before 400 yards. So, I'm thinking about trying to decide on a (lead) option for longer ranges when I'm not in a lead-free-only area. I'd like it to be something with good weight retention, and definitely not anything prone to fragmentation (I like my meat without lead). High BC would also be preferable since this is longer ranges.

I have been able to get a few boxes of Barnes Vor-Tx LR, so maybe that drops the threshold down a few hundred fps. But from what I've seen, I'd still be reluctant to trust those bullets out much farther than 400 yards.

I won't be taking any super long shots, so this question is really about the 300-something to 500-something yard range. At that point, the bullet is running out of energy anyway.

Look at Nosler 6.5 Creedmoor 142gr AccuBond Long Range Trophy Grade Ammunition if you can find it should meet your criteria, and the other option is the hornady Precision hunter 6.5 creedmoor 143gr eld. My first preference is the Nosler for the factory ammo, hornady more available. My two 6.5 Creedmoors are 22 inch AR10 and HMR 24 inch, both rifles shot this ammo well with good results. Have to start reloading this caliber.

Well I have run many Bullets through my 6.5 creed 22" barrel.
I've ended with the 124gr hammers and 123gr hammers.
I've taken game out to 600 with it.
Depending o. The load I'm running at the time I hit minimum expansion at 640 yards minimum.
I've taken lots of deer, pigs, sika, a scimitar oryx, and several audad. Longest audad was 468 yards.
Have tagged a few pigs past 600.
No issues so far. Keep in mind hammers min FPS is to shed the pedals.
Lower speeds seems to mushroom like a Barnes.
My new load with the 123gr will extend the distance.

143 grain Hornady ELD-X. Expands well and will get you out farther with more accuracy due to the weight.
This is the best option I found for factory ammo. It performs better k but not nearly as well as the hammers.
These I still load for steel and as backup if needed. Also trying the 130gr a tips for steel this summer.

Food for thought,
I was for years shooting the 143,and 147 because I was chasing bc.
Well after them not performing on game as one would hope. I started looking.
I decided to try hammers.
Well low and behold if I took the lowest FPS the bullet is stated to open. Ram my 147gr load and the 124 hammer in my applied app.
They came within 60 yards in max distance.
So chasing bc for hunting is not always what you need. In fact if I had to place money on which would perform better at min FPS it would be hammer.

For my 6.5 creedmoor, I plan to use some monolithic bullet loads as my go-to for medium big game (deer, antelope, hogs). My one concern is that it looks like below 2,000 fps, you start to run into expansion problems, and with my 24'' barrel, I'm guessing most loads will hit that threshold before 400 yards. So, I'm thinking about trying to decide on a (lead) option for longer ranges when I'm not in a lead-free-only area. I'd like it to be something with good weight retention, and definitely not anything prone to fragmentation (I like my meat without lead). High BC would also be preferable since this is longer ranges.

I know that there are a lot of bullets that will do the job (ELDX, partitions to name a few), but not sure what the best options are for what I describe as of 2022.
You should be fine with what you have as long as you stay within its limitations (i.e., 400Y 2092 FPS/1048 FT-LBS) and a well-placed shot.

Here's another factory lead-free ammo if you can get them, https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6.5-creedmoor-120-gr.-cx-superformance#!/ and https://www.nosler.com/6-5-creedmoor-120gr-expansion-tip-ammunition.html

Here's a list of monolithic bullets for your future loading consideration >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lead-free-bullet-compilation.290864/

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well I have run many Bullets through my 6.5 creed 22" barrel.
I've ended with the 124gr hammers and 123gr hammers.
I've taken game out to 600 with it.
Depending o. The load I'm running at the time I hit minimum expansion at 640 yards minimum.
I've taken lots of deer, pigs, sika, a scimitar oryx, and several audad. Longest audad was 468 yards.
Have tagged a few pigs past 600.
No issues so far. Keep in mind hammers min FPS is to shed the pedals.
Lower speeds seems to mushroom like a Barnes.
My new load with the 123gr will extend the distance.

Hammers come in factory ammo? Stated requirement by the OP!

Last edited:
I'm currently trying bullets other than the eldx. I feel the creed is to slow for them to perform properly past a couple hundred yards. I've seen plenty of issues with not not opening at all past 300 or so yards.

Nosler Accubond or Accubond LR. Mono's need higher velocities to open up reliably and properly so a tipped mono like the TTSX or Peregrine VLR4 get my votes.

I'm currently trying bullets other than the eldx. I feel the creed is to slow for them to perform properly past a couple hundred yards. I've seen plenty of issues with not not opening at all past 300 or so yards.
Real world testing on game shows that not to be accurate. In fact, they perform better beyond 250yds consistently as enough energy has bled off to keep them from shelling out inside or blowing up shallow.

They have the crimped in "ring" that is supposed to reduce or prevent bullet separation at high velocity on impact but it is nowhere near as reliable as bonding the core to the jacket as with the Accubond and Accubond LR