Reasonable Long Range Hunting Distances(edited)

I have read my fair share of opinions regarding reasonable shots in game. My long shots are 300-400 yards max in fields. In the trees, the shots are more like 30-100 yards at best. My question is this:
With the availability of modern cartridges and optics as well as ballistic calculators etc, what would a maximum reasonable shot be for a hunter with today's equipment? This is an idealist proposition, so imagine the planets aligning for the shot and the shooters ability being a better than average (like all of us on this forum;)).
Please cite cartridge and maximum reasonable range in your opinion.
Let's not include game shredding projectiles, 338L or the like. This little exercise is for hunting.
Ex. 28 Nosler 600 yards because...
Remember, This one is all about your opinions regarding your ideal cartridge.
Again, this is all opinion!

What say you?!

For me it is all about retained energy down range - I personally like to see 1000 ft lbs of energy at impact on an elk and 800 ish on a deer. I choose a cartridge that will have that energy at the longest distance I feel comfortable talking a shot.

it's not all about retained energy, its also about bullet construction, minimum opening velocity, weather, altitude, physical ability, rifle and ammo ability--sooo many variables r -- I still like post #7 the best

Last edited:
Guys, the point of this thread is to see how, in your opinion, advancements in the industry regarding cartridges etc have effected reasonable hunting distances. This thread is about equipment.
Nothing more.

This really depends on a lot of things. My main rifle is a .300 blk that I can take to max 300 yards if everything is perfect. When I know I may have a different shot I have a creed that I would max out at 600. After that I run a win mag out to 1000. After that it's lapua or .375 time.
Meat waste is not an issue with my big ones as I use monos and the distance has slowed the round enough. Again I have never shot anything over 700. But that because I have to know that I have practiced and know I'll make it.
I based my cartridge choice based on the lowest operating speed of the bullet. And reference that against energy do make sure it's where I want it.
So usually I start by finding my max distance with said round and then practicing to that distance. Unfortunately I don't have a place to shoot 1000 plus around me so that's very limited and I always enjoy trying to get closer.

I think the equipment really helps. I've seen guys come to my range that can shoot fine at 100 but can't figure out a 300 yard shot. Now with the Burris eliminator and or a range finder and custom turrets I have guys able to easily hit 400 yard shots. Same guy just needed a easy system to use. Now they feel good at say 400 then they feel really good at 200 which they used to pass on the shot.
My dad is perfect example. Shoots good groups at 100. But always Kentucky holdover for shots making it more of a guess or no shot. Now with his Burris he easy holds good groups at 400 for deer hunting. So it's definitely extending ranges.

I think the equipment really helps. I've seen guys come to my range that can shoot fine at 100 but can't figure out a 300 yard shot. Now with the Burris eliminator and or a range finder and custom turrets I have guys able to easily hit 400 yard shots. Same guy just needed a easy system to use. Now they feel good at say 400 then they feel really good at 200 which they used to pass on the shot.
My dad is perfect example. Shoots good groups at 100. But always Kentucky holdover for shots making it more of a guess or no shot. Now with his Burris he easy holds good groups at 400 for deer hunting. So it's definitely extending ranges.
Thanks for this

equipment technology advancement is beyond the hunting regs in some states-- CO likes people to use Kentucky windage for "fair and ethical hunting" (as a direct quote from one of their CPW "higher ups")

I don't understand why some states are hesitant to adopt new technology when it would help people make better, more humane kill shots--isnt that the whole point of hunting is to manage the animal population with quick, clean kills? guess they are just afraid of change

IMO....
Bullet construction, sectional density and it's ability to perform at it's velocity at impact have a far greater factor than from what caliber/cartridge it comes from.

So my answer would be... 5% over what the bullet manufacturer recommends the minimum velocity for performance to be, then consider what cartridge will give you that velocity at a given distance, as far as talking strictly equipment goes.
The zone in which you personally feel comfortable with taking that shot?...only you can answer that.

For me, it all depends on the target: paper, something I will be eating, or coyotes, gophers, etc. Then there's the tough part: practice at distance. 50+ rounds per month at ranges from 200 to 800 yards. That gives me confidence in the gun, the load and my ability.
We see the 10 rounds per year guys come out just before hunting season to zero at the range. Regardless of caliber, their effective range is about 100 yards.

Since I was first exposed to pistols and rifles the equipment has come a long way . We now have scopes that are gas filled and don't fog , reticals that are amazing ( some way to busy for me ) range finders that work well , barrels are made to tighter standards actions that are as well , stocks that don't warp or crack . The amount of knowledge available is fantastic about how to shoot correctly how to get your gun set up right how to reload your ammo . If a person wants to learn how to they can . We have had so much advancements in bullet design in the last 20 or so years all the shooting industry has advanced at an unfathomable pace and sites like this one help us to learn from others experiences . If a person studies and puts in the time an ethical shot made on an animal can be made at what used to be a shot that would not have been considered by the average shooter . Today long range shooting isn't the mystery it was in the past .

Are you saying the 338 lapua doesn't count? The reason I got one was to extend my ethical range. In my opinion if we're considering everything going perfectly and the shooter being above average then the only limiting factor is horsepower. Which is why I like the lapua
Certainly why I bought the new .338...
not to say my 300 Weatherby won't go reach out to touch something...but saying the 338 isn't for hunting....WOW

Equipment sets the precedence in what I consider max effective range. The bullet being used, the cartridge pushing it to velocity (for external and terminal performance), the rifle's accuracy with a given load. Then the conditions of that particular moment (environmental, my stability-both physical and mental)...along with all the little things thrown in.
As for equipment I tend to go bigger, for the simple fact that you get more performance at longer ranges. It's easier to get a .338 pill to have a BC of over .8, and easier still for a .375! My .375 is pushing a 375 grain bullet with a BC of .8 G1 to a velocity of 3150...and that isn't the best performing load it will do, just shoots great and has really good terminal performance. The other day (using an AB Kestrel) I was shooting a .300 WinMag at 1225 meters in a shifty 12 mph wind, with decent accuracy. I grabbed my .375 and Sig KILO2400ABS and center punch that same target cold bore with half the wind, then made three head shots in a row. That .300 was pushing the subsonic threshold, the .375 still had another 600+ to hit that velocity.
I am at basically sea level here and when I go to my elk hunting spot I am around the 9k mark, that extends the max effective range of my equipment to about 2,000 yards. I had a cow elk in my scope at 1600 with about as good of conditions as you could ask for, however I watched her stand there for several minutes soaking up the sun, until she slowly fed off. Could I have made that shot? I believe so, however it just didn't feel right. I later got one at under 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.