Reasonable Long Range Hunting Distances(edited)

Holycity73

I have read my fair share of opinions regarding reasonable shots in game. My long shots are 300-400 yards max in fields. In the trees, the shots are more like 30-100 yards at best. My question is this:
With the availability of modern cartridges and optics as well as ballistic calculators etc, what would a maximum reasonable shot be for a hunter with today's equipment? This is an idealist proposition, so imagine the planets aligning for the shot and the shooters ability being a better than average (like all of us on this forum;)).
Please cite cartridge and maximum reasonable range in your opinion.
Let's not include game shredding projectiles, 338L or the like. This little exercise is for hunting.
Ex. 28 Nosler 600 yards because...
Remember, This one is all about your opinions regarding your ideal cartridge.
Again, this is all opinion!

What say you?!

Last edited:
I'd be happy with a 5R in 300 WM, and myself personally, I haven't shot the far piece enough to go over 500-600. When you get out much further, you're waiting for the bullet to get there. There is plenty of time for the animal to take one step forward, and catch a bullet in the hiney.

I guess if I had a .338-378, I might go a little farther.

Are you saying the 338 lapua doesn't count? The reason I got one was to extend my ethical range. In my opinion if we're considering everything going perfectly and the shooter being above average then the only limiting factor is horsepower. Which is why I like the lapua
I'm more speaking of meat damage etc. Those cartridges tend to do more damage for the sake of just shooting an animal long range. Again, just my opinion. I also wouldn't attempt an animal past 500 personally.
Thanks for Replying!

Think of the lapua like a 338 win mag with a 200yd head start. It's not doing anymore damage generally speaking at 600yds than a 338 win would do at say 400yds. Same concept with the 300 rum over the win mag or the 300 win mag over the 308. Where I would place max distance with a 308 at 500-600yds roughly I'd go 700-800 with a win and possibly close to 1k with the RUM if running the proper bullet that was designed for the task. Now that is of course considering that you've done your due dilligence in practice, range time, and load development. Not just out there flinging lead and hoping.

The ethical distance will vary dramatically with the cartridge, the rifle, the consistency of the loads and whose on the trigger. That distance will also depend on the conditions, just because a shooter can bang steel off a bench, doesn't mean he can make a cold bore shot @783 yds in a 30 mph wind. Ethics are within each man to shoot or not.

Think of the lapua like a 338 win mag with a 200yd head start. It's not doing anymore damage generally speaking at 600yds than a 338 win would do at say 400yds. Same concept with the 300 rum over the win mag or the 300 win mag over the 308. Where I would place max distance with a 308 at 500-600yds roughly I'd go 700-800 with a win and possibly close to 1k with the RUM if running the proper bullet that was designed for the task. Now that is of course considering that you've done your due dilligence in practice, range time, and load development. Not just out there flinging lead and hoping.
Great reasoning. I see your point.

If you are wondering if you will hit it, its too far.

If you're sure you'll kill it, its in range.

Wind and experience are the main factors.

I think this is about as good a response as is possible.
Not much of a discussion though. So everything lining up, like wind, familiar animal, familiar terrain, calm me, ability to see impact, ability to observe said animal after shot, etc... I would go green light at 1,000 on a big game animal.

Ethical for me at my experience or someone better than I am is going to be drastically different. Obviously conditions like environment and equipment play a role but and then experience with the equipment may affect what is ethical.

Just a heads up, discussions specifically on long range hunting ethics aren't allowed. They can far too quickly dive into argumentative and disruptive conversation.

Maybe read this old thread as to why Len has this rule.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lens-living-room.14689/#post-94153

Yep! It's rule #1.

LRH rules.JPG

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a minute since I read the rules. I edited the title to reasonable since it's about the opinions on cartridge and real world capabilities of.
Hope this clarifies.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts