Rifle for deer/coyotes moderate range

Build a semicustom on a Remington action. If you weren't so bent on the savage actions it would be less money to get the same or better results. I have a self built semi-custom savage chambered in 6-284 it is my all around rifle. I have not had a deer walk away from this round or a coyote for that matter. I use moly coated 105 jlk vld's with retumbo and lapua brass. This combination gets me 3375fps with 6-8 reloadings before the primer pockets start to open up. My rifle has a 30" shilen select match 8 twist I couldn't be happier with this combo.

For me fast and flat is the name of the game especially for coyotes because they seldom give you enough time to dial them up before they are on the move.

Chris

I checked into factory ammo prices on the various 6.5 variants. The creedmoor seems by far the most economical factory round. I have heard they are easier to reload the longer higher BC bullets in as well. I do not currently reload though I am not opposed to it at all. If the Creed and the 260 are ballistic twins why go 260 just out of curiosity?

I went 260. Rem literally because of brass. I was actually about to go 6.5x47 lapua but then a buddy talked me out and I kind of wish he didn't cause the curiosity on that round is killing me. I'm thinking, when this barrel is shot out I might try that round next. Hard to say, once you pick one of the 6.5's it's hard to switch cause you get set up for it (reloading dies, reloading experiences, brass).

Like I had mentioned earlier, you really can't go wrong either way you go. The fact you currently don't reload tells me get the 6.5 creedmoor. If you have thoughts on reloading then I'd probably choose the 260. Rem. The 6.5 creedmoor is better set up for holding those long 140's and being able to run and shoot them at mag length but that's not saying the 260. Rem can't do it either. If you look around at the boys shooting 260. Rem they pretty much all shoot 140's just takes a little extra to figure out a good load and being able to work mag length.

My current 2 loads are a 140. Hybrids pushed around 2880-2915 fps (more testing to come for velocity) .010 thou off lands. This load shoots so good I don't want to bother even trying to make it short enough for the mag. My second load is 140gr hornady a-max at 2847fps and it will run in the mag all day. Also shot a .908" 3 shot group at 615 yards with this load so it works pretty good as a back up load

Found this in MT LR shooters FB site and just sharing ... >>> Savage Arms
Good read and a really interesting rifle. I can't believe they are doing all of that for the price.

It's almost enough to make me want to try Savage again but with a safe full of other 6.5's I could never justify adding one in a new caliber and I have no use for the .308 other than in my M1A's.

Savage continues to innovate and is obviously really responding to the market and what people are wanting in LR rigs.

Doc, let me add this. I've been extremely pleased with my M77 Hawkeye in .375 Ruger. It flat out shoots great and has been flawless in reliability.

I'm a big fan of the 260 Rem which is ballistically virtually identical to the 6.5CM and since I'm planning to have neck surgery soon decided it was time to pick up a 260 bolt gun for this year's hunting. I have a very nice AR 260 but it's too long and too heavy to be practical as a "truck gun" so I did a lot of looking and reading.

What I settled on was the Ruger Hawkeye M77 FTW model. I got it in last week and I'm still waiting on a set of 30mm Rings to come in so I can scope it so I have yet to shoot it but on initial inspection I'm very pleased with it so I'd say give it a look.

Ruger® Hawkeye® FTW Hunter Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I ordered mine through Grab a Gun in The Metroplex (DFW) and they had the best prices I could find on this particular model and they were great to do business with.

Ruger Hawkeye FTW 260REM SS/CAMO 24 Online Gun Store

With the mild rapport of the 260 and the factory muzzle brake (easily replaced with another) your kids would really enjoy shooting it.

Caliber wise though with a good suppressor or muzzle brake the venerable old .264wm would not be a bad choice particularly if you could find one in a heavier platform like the Remington Sendero.

I'm also looking hard at the Remington 5R in .260 for a second but I haven't quite talked myself into it yet.

I'm very interested to know how it shoots, put hands on one and it felt good

I'm very interested to know how it shoots, put hands on one and it felt good
Well I'm sitting here with a rifle and scope but no rings as yet.

They were supposed to be here today and show to be in a truck leaving Ft Worth early yesterday morning but for some reason didn't get to the seymour PO.

I really like the fit and feel of this gun so far. It's finished with a bead blast finish which may or may not appeal to everyone.

It's tight where a new action should be tight and loose where it needs to be.

I don't usually get too worried about getting out and shooting one but I have to admit I'm not enjoying the wait this time.

I already had a couple of hundred rounds of factory ammo (bought on sale to feed the AR) and do to the extreme kindness of a dear friend I had a package loaded with a substantial number of new lapua brass as well as a couple of hundred hornady and berger bullets to load so once it's together I'll probably do way too much shooting on Monday/Tuesday.

Narrowed it down to three options: ruger hunter ftw, x bolt hell's speed, tikka t3x. Found a gun store that stocks all 3 bout an hour's drive, range right next door. Be a while before I can get out there, all these rifles have excellent reviews, but I found the least on the ruger so hoping to hear from you. Be two weeks before I can get up there and longer than that to convince my wife it's a good idea so I got time. So far on the tikka and x bolt 1/2 moa out of the box seems to be the concencous, if the ruger is a shooter too that will be a tough call.

Hello everybody...new kid here
I have hunted almost exclusively with a .25-06 for about 10 years until last year when I started experimenting with .270s. The rifle is one of your least favorites, an M77MKII VT. I enjoy about .265 MOA accuracy with Hornady 117gr BTSP Interlock under IMR 4831. Hornady Custom factory shoots about .5 MOA. I use a custom 26'" .260 for long range and have been very pleased with the results I have had compared to .308s. My shooting partner has recorded kills on whitetail in the 600 yd range with his L/R rifle. Our rifles are the same with the exception of the stocks. I have been so impressed with it that I am working on a semi custom 700 action now for this hunting season. I hope that it would fall into your weight requirements.

Build specs:
Remington 700 Receiver
PTG One piece fluted bolt with speedlock and m16 extractor
Bartlein 1:8 #3 contour
Magpul Hunter

Good luck with your choices!

Narrowed it down to three options: ruger hunter ftw, x bolt hell's speed, tikka t3x. Found a gun store that stocks all 3 bout an hour's drive, range right next door. Be a while before I can get out there, all these rifles have excellent reviews, but I found the least on the ruger so hoping to hear from you. Be two weeks before I can get up there and longer than that to convince my wife it's a good idea so I got time. So far on the tikka and x bolt 1/2 moa out of the box seems to be the concencous, if the ruger is a shooter too that will be a tough call.
Well I will have rings to mount a scope on my Ruger tomorrow and I have some ammo around already so it won't bee but a few days before I try messing up a target or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts