Best 6.5 CM Hunting Bullet for Moderate Long Range Distances

As far as opening Berger bullets will do a lot of damage at 1600 fps. We have done testing on ballistic gel down to 1000 fps and they generally still open down that low. Like I said above, that shot isn't for everyone. Most people don't even shoot past 500 yards and call it long range. That's fine not a problem. Things can and will go wrong at any yardage. But when people try to preach there theory is the only one and I will not be swayed is silly. Do the homework and thing's that seem impossible become achievable. If you don't want to shoot long range by all means don't. But leave us alone that do and practice every chance you get to be a better marksman.

hijack.gif

As far as opening Berger bullets will do a lot of damage at 1600 fps. We have done testing on ballistic gel down to 1000 fps and they generally still open down that low. Like I said above, that shot isn't for everyone. Most people don't even shoot past 500 yards and call it long range. That's fine not a problem. Things can and will go wrong at any yardage. But when people try to preach there theory is the only one and I will not be swayed is silly. Do the homework and thing's that seem impossible become achievable. If you don't want to shoot long range by all means don't. But leave us alone that do and practice every chance you get to be a better marksman.
I'm going to ask again, what is the manufacturer's recommended minimum velocity on impact for the Berger, ELD-X and ELD-M to give ideal terminal performance?

You certainly are not The Authority on shooting/hunting long range so climb down off the high dive, the pool is empty and you just keep crashing into the bottom.

Last edited:
Wait…. Don't a 140 Berger, and a 143 ELDX, and a 140 Partition, and a 140 Game king, and a 139 Scenar and a 140 Hot Core….. etc…. all have the same energy, at the same velocity? That may be a different impact range for each one…. but at equal velocity, "energy" of them all is equal (or VERY close to equal). That's a mathematical Fact.

But….. now we're talking about bullet terminal performance windows?

I thought "energy" killed stuff? Are you telling me, that even though the "energy" is the same…. the results could be different?

Bullet construction makes a difference?

Well color me surprised!

Y'all are talking yourselves in f'n circles…. much to the amusement of many of us.

Here's a simple thought: Good bullets, in Good places, via Good shooting.

Last edited:
Wait…. Don't a 140 Berger, and a 143 ELDX, and a 140 Partition, and a 140 Game king, and a 139 Scenar and a 140 Hot Core….. etc…. all have the same energy, at the same velocity? That may be a different impact range for each one…. but at equal velocity, "energy" of them all is equal (or VERY close to equal). That's a mathematical Fact.

But….. now we're talking about bullet terminal performance windows?

I thought "energy" killed stuff? Are you telling me, that even though the "energy" is the same…. the results could be different?

Bullet construction makes a difference?

Well color me surprised!

Y'all are talking yourselves in f'n circles…. much to the amusement of many of us.

Here's a simple thought: Good bullets, in Good places, via Good shooting.
It really isn't that difficult. If a bullet passes through the animal without any expansion very little of it's energy is transferred to the target.

If a bullet blows up on contact failing to penetrate it's energy is expended in such a way as to form only a shallow wound that may or may not eventually cause death.

If you'll read up on most bullets intended for hunting the manufacturer usually publishes ideal impact velocities to allow for proper expansion and/or fragmentation.

Between the above extremes we get into such things is "how much damage is too much".

I was raised and still believe that excess wasted meat from bullets that shell out completely producing exit wounds you can throw a baseball or even bowling ball through is well into the realm of excessive and unnecessarily wasteful.

There's a very good chance though that when a bullet passes through without expanding insufficient damage may occur to result in recovery of the animal and that's the worst kind of waste of all.

There's a happy median in there someplace that most people strive for and bullet selection plays a big part in reaching that as a goal.

It really isn't that difficult. If a bullet passes through the animal without any expansion very little of it's energy is transferred to the target.

If a bullet blows up on contact failing to penetrate it's energy is expended in such a way as to form only a shallow wound that may or may not eventually cause death.

If you'll read up on most bullets intended for hunting the manufacturer usually publishes ideal impact velocities to allow for proper expansion and/or fragmentation.

Between the above extremes we get into such things is "how much damage is too much".

I was raised and still believe that excess wasted meat from bullets that shell out completely producing exit wounds you can throw a baseball or even bowling ball through is well into the realm of excessive and unnecessarily wasteful.

There's a very good chance though that when a bullet passes through without expanding insufficient damage may occur to result in recovery of the animal and that's the worst kind of waste of all.

There's a happy median in there someplace that most people strive for and bullet selection plays a big part in reaching that as a goal.

Someone needs too shoot this thing , this 1250 yd 6.5x47 elk rifle is killing me one of us has got too have some relief.

Did you recover the bullet? If so, I'm assuming not a pass-through ... how much expansion are we talking? Or, what was the exit wound like if it did pass through?

If we are talking good expansion then honestly if the LRX shoots well in my rifle (fingers crossed) and that is their consistent performance for my application at that range, then I have no need for any other bullet. 500 yards is as long as any shot I ever plan to take on the deer, antelope, or hogs. In reality it's probably farther than any shot I'll take. It's just that I'm going to be out at the range testing different loads and I'd like to have an option for if and when I ever start shooting at those sorts of ranges, and then stock up on that ammo so I'll have it.

My only concerns are A. you are talking about an elk and I am talking about smaller game -- not sure if I'm going to get the same performance on the smaller animals and B. I just don't know if that is their consistent performance ... from what I've seen, at 500 yards when you are probably dipping below 2000 fps, minimal expansion (like the petals just barely peeling back) can be common.
I did not recover the bullet it was a pass through