Rifle for Cape Buffalo

I love to hunt Buffalo... I have killed the most with..I know, I'm lucky to be alive--push feed 375 ultra custom, built off a R700 by Bill Wiseman. I hunted them with Double rifles...man--grand sport but sure limits your range...if I bought one off the shelf and I was right handed-- I'd buy a Kimber Talkeena in 375 HH if I could find one. I have no connection to any of these firearms...

These are substantial and tame recoil-dead reliable.

Slick looking rig:

Priced right for the work done:

Cool caliber--outstanding wood

I guess I'm saying there are usually a lot of good options out there. I love custom guns--but some time you kind find a gem for a good price..

The breakdown... a 375 or 416...I like the HH for ease but the 375 weatherby for performance and usability -the ruger is also very good..416--any typefor a dedicated buff, elephant rig. I have a 1x6 on my 375 but my favorite scope of all time was a 1.7x10 Swarovski as I used that gun on a lot of other critters. Illuminated is not a bad option if you might use for cats--and sometimes buff are shot in low light and it is nice to see on black hide. Personally I like wood in Africa...but its to your taste...

Enjoy your Buffalo hunt--if I could afford it I'd do it every year...

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 450
Last edited:
I have a CZ 550 in 375 hh. It has been Alaskanized. Cerakoted in Sniper gray and a synthetic stock added also. Smith tuned up the trigger and feed. removeable mounts and 2 different scopes to go on it. Shoots great and only about 2k into the gun...

I have a Ruger Model 77 RSM MK II 458 Lott Magna Ported with Leupold VariX III 1.5x5.0 scope that I had planned on taking to Africa; but due to health conditions I will not be able to utilize. It has about 30 rounds through it and is for sale.
I hate to hear that, but what a sweet rifle! I love my .458 lott , its my choice for cape buff. I bought my .458 lott ,from a old man, who killed alot of buffalo. He was almost killed by one in the 80's and said it showed him the short comings of anything smaller than a .416. I miss talking to the old man, he had some stories.

I no longer have them, but the old Win70 in 375H&H and an Mauser converted to 45-70 using heavy loads also work (approaches 458W in ft/lbs). Used old 1.5-4x optics.
Factory rifles in 375 and larger work fine, but make sure it is reliable, practice with it in snap shooting and working the action fast, and I would use a low power optic.

I am heading to Africa on my first Buffalo Hunt in just over two months. I bought a Gunwerks GLR in 375 Ruger from a gentleman in Long Island who had purchased it for a hunt in SA and could not go. He sold it to me the for a very reasonable price and the rifle had never been fired by the original owner. I am shooting the 270 grain Barnes TSX, as that is what Gunwerks supplied with the gun. I talked to my PH in SA and he said he likes that particular round for Buffalo so thats what I am using. It shoots the 270 TSX at about 2750 FPS. The rifle also shoots the 300 Grain TSX remarkably well at all common sense buffalo distances. It is topped with a Nightforce 2.5-10 x 42 NXS with an illuminated reticle. I have been shooting it now for the last three or four months and its shoots crazy good. One inch groups at two hundred yards off the bench. Obvioulsy the groups are slightly larger off the sticks but all shots well within the kill zone of the buffalo out to 100. I will report back here when I get back in mid May with the results. We are also taking a 416 Ruger, shooting 300 Grain TSX bullets, that we purchased as a gift for a guide friend of ours in South Africa. I cannot remember what scope we ended up putting on it but it shoots fantastic as well at all practical ranges for buffalo hunting. Aboslutely cannot wait to get there and match wits with some Black Death.

Just had a friend set one up with the CZ in 416RBY with a Trij scope. He hasn't went yet.
And my other buddy is planning on using his Brown bear gun It's a customized control round feed Winchester in 375RUM with a 2.5-10 NF on it.

I have a Ruger Model 77 RSM MK II 458 Lott Magna Ported with Leupold VariX III 1.5x5.0 scope that I had planned on taking to Africa; but due to health conditions I will not be able to utilize. It has about 30 rounds through it and is for sale.
I used an RSM in 458 Lott for my 1 buffalo in Zim. Topped it with a Swaro Z6i 1-6x, and was happy to have the illumination. Swapped the factory AR500 recoil pad for a LimbSaver. Used that one rifle on everything that trip, shooting TSXs. Worked awesome!

I'm pretty sure the factory stock was originally carved from a railroad tie, but man will this thing shoot.

I've guided several buff hunts in Africa.
If you plan on hunting also some plains game go for the 375HH with a variable power scope from 1 or 1.5 up to 4 or 10x.
Easy to find ammo in case you need it.
For buff a first shot with Swift A Frame 300gr and the rest solids.
Open sights, premium red dot or a variable power scope already mentioned.
If you are confortable shooting bigger calibers go for it but there is not a real need.
The stopers should be the sticks carried by the PH's.
And ofcourse if you can aford go for a double but most of the cases they wont see too much action.

Its about being realistic on whats "reliable" when it comes to off the shelf. AND how much you wanna spend. Nothing wrong with a double but most guys really are not functional shooting them, your cost for one thats wurth its salt is near abouts 15k plus.
An off the shelf Win 70 in 375 or 458 is nice but will require a bit of smith tuning to really get it right to be smooth and reliable...I'd put a good low power optic, re: 1-4X with good eye relief on it or a red dot! Another great choice is a big bore CZ, send it to AHR and do a level 1 overhaul. Have them put your optic's mount of choice on it also. Overall you will be into the game for about 5000$
You can get a Ruger if that suits you but good luck finding ammo in Africa if something goes wrong...a 375 or 458 can be found throughout Africa. My 2 cents, i've hunted the dark continent 7-8 times amongst other places...
AHR is only doing full blown customs now, no up grades, sorry but that is what they told me a couple months ago

Nothing wrong with an off the shelf rifle as long as it's well tested before the hunt. I used an Interterms Whitworth Express Rifle(Mauser action) in 375H&H for my first trip back in the 80's. It had a German detachable mounttidsys equivalent of a Warne) with a Leupold 4X scope. This rifle was used on multiple trips and proved to be quite accurate, reliable, and sufficient for undisturbed Buffalo with some distance. For close shooting I prefer my larger bore double(500-450) or Winchester pre-64 African(458WM), both with good, open express sights. Same general requirements for Lion.

I have two model 70 CRF in 375H&H (one classic, one made around 2013 in the US). Took them to MGArms in Spring and had muzzle brake installed while preserving the iron sights. Have Leupold QD rings and 1.5-5 scopes. Shooting 300 grain solids. It is what the PH recommended for minimum. Some places have a minimum caliber, and it is 375. Check where you are going hinting for requirements. Make sure the gun is fitted to you and practice shooting off hand and off sticks. Practice follow up shots. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.