Rifle for Cape Buffalo

Warren Page swore by the 375 weatherby. Personally I like the 416 rigby. I am now putting together one. Remington enfield, exhibition california english walnut classic stock, box bedded in solid with 2 crossbolts, Lilja 7 weight cut at 25 inches. Barrel lug at the end of the shank. NECG barrel band front sight. 1 to 6 leupold scope. 350 triple shock at 2900. Kill anything that needs killing. A real spanker. No need to worry about solids. If you do your part one shot and done.

Warren had pretty good tastes in cartridges.....except it should have been an AI! 😉 memtb
You can buy 375 weatherby ammo and brass. Try that with the AI for no gain over it. Or not enough gain to argue about. Those folks look at your ammo over there to make sure it matches the stamp on the barrel. I built a 9.3 sta. A hammer. 2900 with a 286 with imr 4350 or norma URP. I think I will neck down PPU brass and stamp 375 H&H on the barrel. Those people in Johannesburg at the airport aren,t smart enough to notice. A 20 up front greases the wheels too lol.

Last edited:
And, just like the Weatherby.....the H&H can be fired in the Weatherby if need be! Certainly no gain in performance, virtually equal....other than costs! Of course....you don't have to hand load for the Weatherby! However, with the AI, and of utmost importance.....you don't have that "name" head-stamped on the case! 🤣 memtb

Last edited:
I have a 375 weatherby built on a gentry left hand action...wonderful gun, I have taken plains game with it but my buff didn't happen with it on that trip. It wears a 1.5x5 Leupold--I love the compactness of that scope--but need more magnification. The weatherby is the best of the lot..will do 98% of what my ultra will do...you can shoot it in a HH chamber, and has headstamped brass for those stickler countries--

I have a virtually new, ok, almost eight or so years old but at most 20 rounds fired, Styer 9.3x62 Mannlicher that I'll probably never use on Alaskan grizzlies. PM me if interested. The rifle is not presently scoped, however, I do have Talley rings. Also have some factory "fresh" ammo, Federal I believe. Id have to check my stock.

And, just like the Weatherby.....the H&H can be fired in the Weatherby if need be! Certainly no gain in performance, virtually equal....other than costs! Of course....you don't have to hand load for the Weatherby! However, and of utmost importance.....you don't have that "name" head-stamped on the case! 🤣 memtb
If you can afford to go to africa and hunt cape buffalo I would not sweat the cost of the ammo. The name on the ammo? I guess Elgin Gates and Herb Klein were idiots

Wow David, we are sensitive! I hope that your bullet jackets aren't as thin!

Actually Elgin and Herb were pretty sharp guys! 😉 I've read a few books also! 😁 memtb

I respect the hunters of the 50,s and 60,s a lot. They hunted in a time that will never be seen again. I remember JOC writing an article. He was to africa in 1967. AFRICA IS GOING TO HELL!!! He would roll in his grave if he saw it now. So yes I have read a lot too. It seems you do not care much for the Weatherby brand. I do not really care for their rifles but the cartridges are good in my mind. What is the 300 PRC? A recycled 300 weatherby. And by the way if you tighten up the reamer tolerance on a weatherby they shoot just as good as the new whiz bangs that they bring out as the new and best. The 257 weatherby in the factory rifles is not known as a good shooter. I speced a reamer with 2 thousandths neck clearance with a 1 1/2 degree lead. With a full power load with a 117 sierra gameking it makes a hole. But everybody has their idea of what they like. No harm no foul. And by the way. I do not use emojies to make who you are talking to seem like a dum as. Nor am I typewriter warrior.

Last edited:
If you were to go to Africa to hunt Cape buffalo,

Would you buy an off the shelf rifle or would you build one? Caliber? Action? wood or synthetic stock? Optic?
I have shot 3 of them .1 with ruger no 1 458 lott. 1 with Winchester 375 H&H and one with 500 nitro.. next will be with my Cz 550 mag. The 550 mag has taken a buff in Australia with one shot and one in Argentina with one shot kills.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.