Rifle for Cape Buffalo

TXAoudadKlr

If you were to go to Africa to hunt Cape buffalo,

Would you buy an off the shelf rifle or would you build one? Caliber? Action? wood or synthetic stock? Optic?

Double rifle, they'll make it to your dimensions. Shallow V rear, big white dot or the like up front.

I have a CZ 550 in 458 lott I just built, as reality sits I have degenerative disc disease, so life has ordered me to mind recoil or pay dearly. Bolt gun allowed me to run a brake, I also added weight, though didn't get as heavy as I wanted. I have a shallow V rear and big white dot up front, it'll take coyotes until I can get a bear license, hopefully not have to be used as defense against a bear, but it's here to do that too.

Nonetheless, if we're talking about fantasy here, I would love a double in 600 Nitro Express.

Its about being realistic on whats "reliable" when it comes to off the shelf. AND how much you wanna spend. Nothing wrong with a double but most guys really are not functional shooting them, your cost for one thats wurth its salt is near abouts 15k plus.
An off the shelf Win 70 in 375 or 458 is nice but will require a bit of smith tuning to really get it right to be smooth and reliable...I'd put a good low power optic, re: 1-4X with good eye relief on it or a red dot! Another great choice is a big bore CZ, send it to AHR and do a level 1 overhaul. Have them put your optic's mount of choice on it also. Overall you will be into the game for about 5000$
You can get a Ruger if that suits you but good luck finding ammo in Africa if something goes wrong...a 375 or 458 can be found throughout Africa. My 2 cents, i've hunted the dark continent 7-8 times amongst other places...

Bolt action .375 H&H with 300 grain solids, the jacketed lead kind, not the copper stuff that fragments. Iron sights or low power scope. I wouldn't ever use red dot on dangerous game, they're crap just got one back for the one that failed. Also, did you remember to turn it on? Got those strange batteries?

Bolt action .375 H&H with 300 grain solids, the jacketed lead kind, not the copper stuff that fragments. Iron sights or low power scope. I wouldn't ever use red dot on dangerous game, they're crap just got one back for the one that failed. Also, did you remember to turn it on? Got those strange batteries?
About 75% of the combat in Iraq and Afghanistan in the last 2 decades was fought by guys with red dot sights. They aren't all junk. If they work well enough to serve on 2 way shooting ranges, I think you can use one to shoot an angry cow..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally? I'd go double rifle in 375HH or 416 of some flavor, with nice open sights but also a rail for a Trijicon or aimpoint. I realize they can fail, but the speed that you can swing a red dot and be absolutely sure about your aim is hard to beat with even good safari sights. I'd run a copper mono and brass solids, I want everything I shoot to go all the way through.

You would be better served asking the question over on africahunting.com. The guys that talk about solids have a different opinion than most PH's in Africa. The ones I have talked to want a expanding bullet like a Swift A-frame or Northfork. My 2 buffalo died just fine with a $500 Howa in a .375 Ruger and 300 grain Swift A-frames. If its elephants then a solid for sure. .375 is the minimum in some African countries. Off the shelf can work fine. Custom if you'll hunt over there a lot is great. The CZ rifles with AHR upgrades are very popular.
Bruce

Well, I have done both. I have built myself a 416 Rigby on a CZ 550 action, have bought a VC double in 500 Nitro and modified a Win Model 70 in 375 H&H by changing out stocks and re-chambering to 375 Weatherby.
I also bought and ordered a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs from the custom shop, but really that was too nice to hunt with. Since sold.
Of all, the 375 sees the most action, the 416 is next and the 500 is a serious backup rifle which I have used in anger twice...yep both barrels on ONE hunt here in Australia on Water Buff.
The 375 Weatherby is a serious step-up from the H&H, it is a genuine 200fps+ gain with all bullet weights and hammers Buffalo with authority. It is visibly noticeable on how much harder it hits. Both it and the 416 have similar reactions, nose down on impact and most bulls never recover from the first hit. I use Woodleigh bullets in both rifles, a 300gr PP in the 375, due to it's higher velocity (2830fps), and 410gr RNSP in the 416 (2520fps).
Oh, and Wayne at AHR no longer offers his CZ modifications, with CZ dropping production, there had to be a compromise on his business. His custom work took over on that.

Cheers.

I had the same question come up several years ago. One of the guys I worked with was originally from Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), and still had connections there. We were going to be able to hunt for free, we just had to get there.

We bought CV .458 Lott's for less than $1200 at the time, and this was probably 2014. Very smooth actions and beautiful wooden stocks. Ultimately the hunt fell through, but I still have my .458. From my perspective, the recoil is substantial (worse than my .50 cals) and not much fun to shoot. I hold onto it with the dream of going over someday for a hunt.

Blaser R8 .375 H&H with Leupold 2-7 Firedot is what I have ready for when I go for Cape Buffalo.

964E0CDE-C59F-4E9D-A521-EC6C3F75B04B.jpeg

932B6BEE-2CBA-43E3-A7EE-4D0FFB886AEE.jpeg

If you were to go to Africa to hunt Cape buffalo,

Would you buy an off the shelf rifle or would you build one? Caliber? Action? wood or synthetic stock? Optic?

Built it (semi-custom) in 1989.....though it never made it to Africa.

Winchester Model 70 action, McMillan Classic synthetic stock, Douglas SS 24"match grade barrel (lightest contour available) with express sights, Leupold QD bases/rings with 2 scopes (3.5-10 & 2.5-8) zero'd and ready for service ( though would get a lower magnification for the African hunt), weighing 9 pounds 1or 2 ounces (scoped/loaded/slung), chambered in .375 AI. The AI offers higher velocities than a standard H&H......but, the worldwide popular .375 H&H can be readily fired in the AI chamber, with only a small decrease in muzzle velocity!

That was my rifle! Or....you could get a Kimber Talkeetna, and run an AI reamer in it (very inexpensive) and have your "go to" rifle ready to go!

Then sell-off everything else you have....use the money gained to hunt the world! 😉 memtb

I have a Ruger Model 77 RSM MK II 458 Lott Magna Ported with Leupold VariX III 1.5x5.0 scope that I had planned on taking to Africa; but due to health conditions I will not be able to utilize. It has about 30 rounds through it and is for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 164
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.