Cape Buffalo Hunting in SA with the 375 Ruger

Allen Kitts

I am booked on a Cape Buffalo hunt next year in the Limpopo Region of South Africa. I will be taking a 375 Ruger and was just wondering if anyone on here had any first hand experience with the 375 Ruger in Africa on any of the big five or on big bears maybe in Alaska or in Russia.
Probably going to shoot the 270 Grain TSX and maybe a 300 Grain Solid. I may switch to the 300 Grain TSX to get it closer to weight with the 300 grain Solid. The rifle I will be using is a Gunwerks LR1000 and the scope is a 2.5-10 x 42 Nightforce NXS knob was developed with the 270 grain TSX at 2794fps. Thanks for your info.

I killed 2 buffalo last year in Zambia with my .375 Ruger using 300 grain Swift A-frames. Had a couple of recovered bullets. Beautiful mushrooms although not as big of diameter as I thought I'd get. Your rig will get it done. The Barnes bullets are well liked in Africa. Put the first one where it needs to go and all will be well. My first bull was text book on the shoulder and he didn't go 20 yds. The 2nd was a young bull for a local chiefs party. I double lunged him but missed the shoulder. He charged and I had to hit him a 2nd time to put him down. They can really move when they want to. Good luck
Bruce

Took my first buff near Limpopo with a 375H&H. Your shots will be under 100 yards and the Barnes should work fine. Ask you PH or outfitter what they prefer in bullets. Mine said, "I carry solids, you shoot softs".

I shot mine at 125 yards. Stalked for two hours to get in position. Squirrelly winds and a dozen or so cows with calves made getting closer impossible.
Used .375 H&H with 300 grain Hornady softpoint and 300 grain woodleigh FMJ handloads. Both loads shot within an inch of each other at 100 yards.
Pick a bullet and get plenty of practice. Shoot offhand and with shooting sticks.

good luck

jerry

I shot one of my buffalo with a 470 double at 20 yards the other with a 375 ultra at 80 yards..no issues...will not have any issues with a 375 ruger if you stick it in the right spot with a good bullet ...TSX bullets will work well--I like swifts, woodleigh, and Cutting edge cup points..do not usr the DGX bullets...the are soft and break apart...I love hunting Buffalo

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 356
With a good bullet , the 375 Ruger is as capable as the 375 H&H ......... your PH (guide) will get you as close as possible ..... Do not go behind the sholder , go on the sholder , IE break the sholder or femur (but use a good bullett - preferably 300gr ......shoot it on the bottom 1/4 line . when watching buff hunts on youtube you will notice good shots , when the buff lifts the leg on the side facing the shot , this is what you want. go watch this on youtube ... Blaser R8 South Africa - you will notice the buffs reaction to the shot ..... that is what you want ...

For less than a box of ammo you should buy "The Perfect Shot II" by Kevin Robertson. Best book I have ever read on proper shot placement on African game. Great pictures and text. Dr. Robertson is a vet in RSA and gives really good reasons for all of his advise on shot placement.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1571574301/?tag=lrhmag19-20

My favourite load for the 375 Ruger is the 270 grain Barns TSX at 2650 FPS, with Winchester mag primers and H4831 powder. Sighted 3" high at 100 gives you zero at 235 and point and shoot to 300. Makes the perfect all round cartridge for everything from Gazelle to Buff. In the Ruger guide gun with the stainless finish, laminated stock and 20" barrel you would be hard pressed to find a better handling gun. We have tried that load in a half dozen Ruger Guide and African models and they will all put 3 in the same hole regular as heck. Best of all, they come in Left Hand.

There is nothing that combo won't take down. Great penetration and good expansion, sort of the best of both worlds.

My rifle arrived yesterday with 100 rounds of 270 Grain TSX ammo listed at 2794fps on the box from Gunwerks. The load was built to the rifle and the elevation knob on the Nightforce scope was etched for those ballistics. I will take it to the range this weekend to see how it shoots. Will keep you all posted. To say I am excited would be a huge understatement.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.