375 Ruger and the Sierra 300gr GK

AKBman

So a couple of weeks ago I was playing around with my 300 Win Mag and the Hornady 208 A Max bullets, impressive to say the least. Well today I did what I wanted to do, I lugged the 375 Ruger up the Mt, after putting 50 rounds through my 1911, I drove over to where I shoot long range across a canyon. Now, I am still using the same crappy rangefinder, but I was able to pick out a nice 2' X 2' rock at 521 yards. I set up rather quickly, as I was afraid the rain was going to spoil it, which it did after 2 shots. I shot video of each shot, well, one anyway, the other I must have hit the button twice. Anyhow, 2 shots 5 minutes apart from 521 yards with the 375 Ruger, a 23" SS barrel (The original Alaskan Model with Black Laminate Stock), RL 17 (the best powder I have found for this 375), and the Sierra 300gr GK, as my chrony is caput, I estimated this load to be doing between 2550 and 2600, so I used 2600 on my shooter app and aimed at the top half, wind was at 270* and about 7mph. I dialed up the range and wind, then let fly, I heard the smack from the rock, but with the spotting scope I couldn't see the splash mark on the rock, well I made no adjustments, picked the same aim point, and let fly, once again heard the awesome slap of 300 grains of copper and lead smacking the rock, but still no splash. Both times I could see the rock dust churned up by the hit, so I was puzzled. Rain moved in with a good soaking consistency, so I packed up and made the 15 minute drive to the other side of the canyon to further investigate my shooting. Well, I discovered the bullets hit with 2" of each other, 10-12" above my aim point into a rock ledge right behind my target, I figure it must have been the downhill angle, as I don't think the load is pushing more than 2600fps. Elevation was the same, just one impact was approx 2" away on the horizontal. Once again, a heck of a lot of fun, given how long it has been since I tried shooting anything over 300 yards. While it is worlds slower, the intensity of the report from impact with the 375 is awesome. Kind of echoes the real world experiences I have had between the 300, 338, and 375, the 375 just seems to put the smack down on animals, wish this one had been available when I was stationed in Alaska.

Dave

Nice job. My brother finally brought me the .375 Ruger I bought last year. Same model as yours but with the hogue stock.

I got it out and played with it a bit last week and was really favorably impressed.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread along the lines of, "Maybe it's time to giver Ruger a serious look again".

I'm extremely impressed with the quality overall compared to the last M77 I messed with much back in the late 80's/early 90's.

That rifle was just sloppy up and down the line, it was a tang safety model.

This one however has no slop at all in the action yet it is smooth as butter.

I did decide it was going to get an aftermarket muzzle break before I play with it too much though LOL.

Nice shooting. Next time I'm heading that way I"ll give you a shout and maybe we can get out and do some shooting. That country around Alamogordo is just made for LR shooting that's for sure!

Sounds like a plan! Mine has no muzzle brake, some days that isn't a good thing. If they ever become available again, I want to try the 300gr Accubonds.

Yup. The 375 just hit harder than anything smaller. On a hard target anyway. I didn't know Ruger had made the Alaskan in a 23" barrel. All mine were 20" I had no problem getting 2550 fps with 300 gr bullets from the 20" and that was at sea level in 30° f weather. Would not suprise me if you are getting over 2600 in that heat. At least it looks hot there to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.