Rifle for Cape Buffalo

If it was me,I would approach the thing the following way:
First , if you allready know your PH and where you are going, is asking him what calibres he recommands and what is easy to find on the shelf in case your ammo don't make it at the same time as your rifle on arrival . Or even not at all!
Also ask the PH if he is happy for you to use a brake or not.( if you did intend to use one.)

Second consideration, if the rifle does not make it to destination or get damaged or stolen during transport, how much would it affect you psychologically ? If you get a cheaper off the shelf rifle or a good second hand rifle that shoots accurately you might get less upset than if it was a custom made super expensive rig just for that trip. Nowdays, luggages don't get lost so much, and there are some pretty tough gun cases that will protect your gun from any damages . But that does not stop the whole thing to get stolen or forgotten on the tarmac ... just a thing to keep in mind. And if that were to happen, are you confortable in using a borrowed rifle from your PH?

Third , if you decide to go with a custom rifle, or if you found a second hand rifle with a very nice piece of wood, but you are not sure to get it because you might damage the wood, don't be put off. The stock can always be temporarily replaced with a mcmillan for the duration of your hunt while the fine walnut stock stays at home.
Fourth, it is preferable that your rifle have open sight, and your scope have a detachable mount. I would also consider having a second scope in the same mounting system, pre sighted for that rifle.that second scope does not need to be flash, a good basic leupold will do . But in case you damage the first one you have a second one to carry on your hunt. You can always sell one of the two scopes once you are back to civilisation.

Fifth, practice with the factory ammo you are going to use, in all kind of positions and shooting above sticks as well. Practice with open sights, the first scope and the second scope. Checking how well they return to zero after being removed from the rifle and put back on.

Good luck with your quest, and enjoy your hunt.

Last edited:
The . 375 H&H Mag. has more ammo and rifle options available, while the 9.3x62 does virtually everything the . 375 H&H will with less recoil and gunpowder. In 1905 Otto Bock introduced the 9.3x62 Mauser to provide Germans living in colonial Africa with an affordable alternative to expensive double rifles.

I will never be able to hunt cape buffalo but if I did it would have to be with a classic late 1800's double hammer rifle in 500 3" BPE with damascus barrels. Steel barrels and smokeless powder are just a passing fad.

Attachments

• IMG_6040 (1).jpg
    IMG_6040 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
AHR is only doing full blown customs now, no up grades, sorry but that is what they told me a couple months ago
Just for general info You are correct Wayne @ AHR is no longer doing the upgrades. However he is training another shop to do the work. From Africa Hunting.com:
I'm pleased to announce that upgrades for the CZ 550's are available again through Matrix Gunsmithing in Colorado. They will be using the same AHR parts and I will be giving them guidance as they take over the work. They are a professional shop and crew, and I have full confidence in them. Contact Jerry at [email protected]
Bruce

I have not been able to hunt buffalo due to financial constraints.

I have hunted many animals over a 30 year period and have lined up two hunts for this year (Covid had a big role in stopping hunts last year). Biggest animal I have shot is an eland cow.

I am going to try and give my perspective of a buffalo hunt :-

1. The 9.3x62 is adequate but it will depend on your PH if he will be happy for you to use it. The 375 and up is the norm.
2. I would choose a 375 as its stout recoil is at a level that most hunters will be able to adjust to. It has sufficient killing power if the first shot is on the money. With expanding monolithic bullets in the 270 to 300gr range you have more than enough penetration even with a going away shot. Swift bullets have also proven themselves as good performers.
3. You have a PH controlling the hunt and he will have a stopper calibre on hand.
4. Shots taken are mostly in dense bush areas and animals that are alerted don't stand much longer than 6 seconds to get in a killing shot.
5. Practice shooting over sticks and try and do that quickly and accurately. This will mean a lot of practical shooting once the hunt date is within a month or two. Confidence in your abilities makes for better shooting.
6. A low power scope (2-8x20) helps with accurate shot placement and a wide field of view. Red dots also work well for quick aiming and a unrestricted sight picture. Use that which you shoot best out to 100 yards.
7. If reloading dont load to the teeth. A 375 with 300gr bullets at 2450-2500fps are ample for penetration. Rather ensure reliability and accuracy so as to ensure a quick 2nd shot. No tight bolts or stuck cases.
8. Get charts or watch videos on bullet placement on buffalo. Actual hunts will show the time duration for shots as well as the habitat where the hunts take place.
9. Google Earth and street views can give good indications of the habitat you are going to visit.

I would rather shoot 4 to 5 inches higher on the shoulder. You then have a double lung shot plus you go through the plumbing at the top of the heart. This will cause more bleeding than one through the lower part of the heart. The more it bleeds the faster the brain is starved of oxygen.

The head and horns are the "trophy" that most people mount on their man cave's wall. Placing your first shot there might kill immediately, but you could also break a horn. Take that shot in an emergency when the buff is coming straight at you. I think that the PH will also advise theheart/lung as a first shot.

If you were to go to Africa to hunt Cape buffalo,

Would you buy an off the shelf rifle or would you build one? Caliber? Action? wood or synthetic stock? Optic?
IF you can find an off the shelf rifle that fits you, then that would be least expensive. If you can't find one that fits you then building is your only option. For DG, stock fit is important because of the increased recoil. This aint your average whitetail rig. Also with any rig you should shoot it a lot before you go so caliber (recoil) is important. If you can shoot a 458Lott enough to feel proficient with it, more power to you. My comfort ends somewhere above 375H&H and I don't feel inclined to find out just where that threshold is. The 375 will kill anything just fine especially with the selection of premium bullets available and doesn't make a bad deer/elk rifle either.
Wood or synthetic, who cares?
Optic, I prefer a low power variable with illuminated reticle from a premium (reliable) manufacturer in QR rings with irons as back up and a spare scope also in QR rings.
I ended up with a P64 M70 that has been worked over in a Brown Prec stock that is custom fitted to me with a Kahles 1.5-6 scope with Ill dot-crosshair reticle. 3 buffalo down and I'll never make it back at this point but can't part with it either.
CmFCD5Y.jpg

About 75% of the combat in Iraq and Afghanistan in the last 2 decades was fought by guys with red dot sights. They aren't all junk. If they work well enough to serve on 2 way shooting ranges, I think you can use one to shoot an angry cow..
Yup, just old betsy in the back 40. It seems 2 shots is all you'll ever get and sometimes a bolt is way too slow. Maybe add practice dodging dead buffalo to the exercise routine?

Yup, just old betsy in the back 40. It seems 2 shots is all you'll ever get and sometimes a bolt is way too slow. Maybe add practice dodging dead buffalo to the exercise routine?

I'm guessing it is still less dangerous than a squad of taliban, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. I've never seen a Buffalo pick up an rpg, but there's a lot I don't know in this world.

I'm guessing it is still less dangerous than a squad of taliban, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. I've never seen a Buffalo pick up an rpg, but there's a lot I don't know in this world.
I'm definitely not arguing that. It was just your sarcastic tone posting about cows. Just an FYI 556 w/red dot accounted for only the tiniest fraction of dead afghans. Pretty much only clearing houses or those unfortunate enough to be out on foot patrol/convoys. Everything else was machine gun fire, scoped (leupold) sniper rifles, armor, and, overwhelmingly, the sky above.
Edit: Also, the red dot I just got back had mount problems. My regular scope mounts have four bolts on each base for a total of eight, and six per side front and back on the rings for 24 more. 556 doesn't recoil much. Just sayin'

Last edited:
I'm definitely not arguing that. It was just your sarcastic tone posting about cows. Just an FYI 556 w/red dot accounted for only the tiniest fraction of dead afghans. Pretty much only clearing houses or those unfortunate enough to be out on foot patrol/convoys. Everything else was machine gun fire, scoped (leupold) sniper rifles, armor, and, overwhelmingly, the sky above.
Edit: Also, the red dot I just got back had mount problems. My regular scope mounts have four bolts on each base for a total of eight, and six per side front and back on the rings for 24 more. 556 doesn't recoil much. Just sayin'
I also spent just short of 12 years in the army. I was infantry, had my B4, medical retirement in 2013. My Joe's mostly had 68's. The saws had an aim point, the 240's had aimpoints. I always found a gen 1 acog, with the crosshairs somewhere buried in the arms rooms. Sure, some guys had acogs, but it was a mixed bag. You're right about who actually does the killing, and nobody is more devastating than an apache pilot. What did you do?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts