Rifle choice?

BoomFlop

I am looking at buying a new rifle to be used as a "do all" type rifle. Would be used for mule deer, whitetail, antelope, coyotes and just practicing shooting.

Here are a couple rifles I am considering:

Christensen Arms Traverse 243 Win, 6.5 PRC or 6.5-284

Christensen Arms MPR 6 Creedmoor

I think I would do the Traverse for sure if it was offered in 6 Creedmoor as I like the "traditional" stock, however, I like the adjustment options on the chassis of the MPR.

I currently have a Remington LTR in 223 Rem and 308 Win. I also have a Remington 700 Mountain rifle DM in 7mm-08. Kind of looking for a light recoiling rifle that could be used for both deer and coyotes.

Thoughts?
Steve

Hunting yotes off the tripod most of the time here, really like pistol grips for that so maybe an MPR would get the nod? But I don't like carrying chassis as much so if the majority is deer hunting the traverse would be the way to go.

I've never owned a chassis rifle. What cartridge would you choose in the Traverse? My longest kill shot at this point is 294 yards with my Mountain rifle in 7mm-08 but I would like to extend my maximum range with far more practice.

Steve

Looking at what you have ,seems you pretty well have it covered. Maybe throw in a 243 and go hunting.

This is what ever you like the best or are more comfortable with I am not a chassis man but thats just me

I don't own one but most references say that it will stabilized bullets up to 105 and maybe even 115. If so seems that would do the job you want to do. It looks like a great rifle and receives great ratiings. Maybe some one that owns one will chime in.

@Ken61 The 243 Win 10 twist would probably max around the 90-100 grain cup and core bullets.

@JMW67 so maybe the BA Tactical? I've never had a chassis rifle, so honestly, I don't know if I'd like it or not?

Steve

BoomFlop, no disagreement. My two 6mm chassis rifles are 8 twist and they will shoot most any bullet I have tried. I like the chassis rifles but they do get heavy for carrying.

I'm currently building a 6.5 PRC, so I'm biased. I like the two 6.5 rounds you have on there, but that's personal preference. I want a little more behind it if I'm going for mule deer than the 6mm rounds have.

Out of those I'd go with 6.5x284..the 6.5 is real hard to find anything for right now and the 6 needmoore and 243 I feel are to small just my 2 cent

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.