Rifle choice/options in 204Ruger?

MrButterpants

I was pondering the idea of picking up a bolt action varmint gun chambered in .204 Ruger. I think the caliber is ****-hot and persuading yourself into buying another rifle is never a bad thing.

Few questions:
Anyone care to guess at barrel life shooting 40gr's around 3600fps?

Max range on where the 204's energy becomes sub-standard for clean Coyote kills?

Twist rate? I've seen from 1/12 to 1/9.

What's your current rifle or any suggestions one them?

I've been looking at the Savage Varmint line. Either the:

Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter (Repeater)
~940$
Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter (Repeater)

12 Series Varmint Model 12 BTCSS
~800$
Savage Arms Model 12 BTCSS

Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile
~630$
Savage Arms Model 12 Varminter Low Profile

Probably going to go with the low profile since it's quite a bit cheaper and this rifle will only come out a few times a year to play....although I do like the thumbhole stock on the 2nd model I listed.

I looked at these when I bought a .204 last month. I had really been leaning toward the LRPV but hadn't seen one in a repeater yet. Then I picked up the BTCSS and the decision was easy. It was not quite as heavy as the LRPV but the stock is pretty nice and the trigger is great. Turned down it is plenty light enough for accurate shooting off the bench. It turns out that it is quite a shooter as well. Just during break in, I have been able to get groups down near .3 with 32 gr factory loads. Hopefully it will really shine w handloads.

I have not had any experience with a Savage. I purchased a Rem LVSF earlier this year. It has a 1-12 twist. I can only get 3450-3550 fps with a 22" barrel with berger 40gr. It will shot 5 shot groups in the .5" @ 100 yds. consistently. I do not have a clue on the barrel life, but it is a blast to shoot. I have personally killed a coyote @ 311 yds with a 39gr blitzking. A friend of mine killed a bobcat a approximately the same yardage. Both were one shot one kill.

I have 2 .204s!!

I have a "walking" CZ 527 varminter, and it has produced awesome groups with 39gr BKs which I highly recommend, with a velocity in the 3800+fps range.....Using H4895

I also have a savage BTVS (thumbhole stock) it shoots ALMOST as good as the CZ..... And it loves the 39 BKs also. Varget shoots well at 3700fps but once again H4895. I...personally would not bother with the fast twist, going to say 50gr bergers......If you want to shoot 50s then move up in calibers, or at least move to a .20BR with a 1-9 twist.....50s at 3800 or so.

I have shot coyotes at 400 yrds....Have had to hammer the 2nd shot in them also at that range though....... 300 not prob. I have deligated my .204s to gophers and the odd yote hunt, and my .22-250AI barnard actioned by ATR get the nod for yotes, a 55gr nosler at 4000 fps.....

CHeck out Home of 204Ruger.com and RugerHunting.com!

same decision

I'm also looking at the Savage Varminter and CZ for target and groundhog shooting out to 500 yards. I'm also considering the Remington Model 700 VS SF II Varmint Fluted Rifle.

I'm a bit concerned about the Savage's 12 pounds vs the Remington 8.5.

Anyone have any opinions on these 3 rifles in a 204 Ruger caliber?

Thanks in advance

I have no experience with the Savage or CZ but do own the 700 in 204. If you choose this rifle you will have no regrets (once you do a trigger job). It is fairly heavy with a scope but not unmanageable.

I have no experience with the Savage or CZ but do own the 700 in 204. If you choose this rifle you will have no regrets (once you do a trigger job). It is fairly heavy with a scope but not unmanageable.

What do you recommend to be done with the trigger on the Rem 700?

If you think the Rem 700 at 8#'s is heavy, I can only imagine what the 12 pound Savage feels like!

The trigger pull on mine (with the old trigger) was about 6 lbs. and wouldn't group enough to even sight in. I adjusted the weight to about 2.5 lbs and it shot great. The weight isn't bad for varmint hunting where you don't move around alot but I used it for deer hunting (it's legal here) and carrying it all day with a scope, harris bipod and full mag got a little heavy by the end of the day. The Remys weight is great for PD hunting where, if you keep your eyes open, you can watch the impact (spectacular). The 12 pound Savage wouldn't be worth the weight in this caliber.

my vote would be for the VLP, but your price is a little off. they are arounf 950, not 630...but I would buy another one in a heart beat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.