Rifle builder that lets you build you're own rifle

After reviewing the web site and all of the comments I better understand the thinking and process
behind the offer to let you build your rifle yourself.

This is a great offer/deal for someone that wants to be involved in there own build.

I think I have put most of the pieces together and I am more comfortable with the process now.

First= all of the componants are chosen buy the shop and in the inventory to save time waiting
for parts. The barrel looks like it is pre-threaded and short chambered in standard calibers. This
would save lots of time but still give the customer a chance to do the final chambering and head
-spacing.

The action is a custom actions and should not need any blueprinting saving more time and taking
nothing away from the build experance.

The stock can be pre-inletted and with a bedding block and minimize stock to barreled action
fitting and even possibly bedding.

These steps make perfict sense and would assure that the customer could complete the build
in the 4 to 7 days allotted.

The choice of componants would be the Smiths for total control of the time restraints and to
eliminate any unknowns and to produce a quality rifle.

Hats off to Mr Gradous for offering this service. He has invested in high end parts as stock
items and offered a service that most of us wouldn't or couldn't.

As to the comment that he doesen't use the 700 action, That is not a reflection on any factory
action, just the fact there are unknowns with any factory actions before they are blueprinted
that could effect the build schedule.

Not being able to chose the barrel maker and the type /brand action might be an issue with
some but not with others. Having trust in the smiths guidance in these areas is important.

Sounds like a great deal if you can afford the time and money.

Just my thoughts.

J E CUSTOM

There are more than a few smiths/rifle builders that have grown to the point that they rufuse to build on anything but a Remington 700 and then eventually to only work on their own private label actions or pure custom made actions.

First off one doesnt have to start out with some $1000 action! I purchased my stainless M700 from some fellas that advertise over on the 6mm board and it was $600...fully reworked and blue printed..the chambered and fitted barrel cost me another $400. I bought a SST Brux barrel...so regardless of the caliber Id still have that $1000 in a stainless barreled rifle. Bottom metal was bought...brand new...from E-bay for $75. Stock was a factory new..never used laminated wood stock (Remington factory stock) from Ebay and it was a little less than $75. It carrys an EGW rail and Leupold QD rings bought from Optics Planet and the Nikon scope on it was about $275 from Ebay.

All bolted together and with factory 25-06 ammo ( Not AI ammo) it shoots 2 shots touching and the 3rd about 3/16 away at 100 yards.

For the difference in $$...take a guess which one Id rather have!

I am! I just cant get along with people that "they know" whats best for me and "they know" what I want". Typically its what THEY have on hand or can get quickly....NOT what I might want.

Hence..."one of those types"

The one person talking like they know best for someone else seems to be you! Mr. Gradous is providing a service that you do not have to purchase but he's the know it all?:rolleyes:?

The one person talking like they know best for someone else seems to be you! Mr. Gradous is providing a service that you do not have to purchase but he's the know it all?:rolleyes:?

100% INcorrect. My opinions and my statements apply to ME and ONLY me. If someone else wants to go and fart their $$ away..thats their business....Im not paying fopr it...but that dont mean I cant comment on it if I think its ..semi foolish!

After rewatching the video it does look like he lets them drive the lathe a little. I used to let the kids sit on my lap on a straight piece of road and let them hold the wheel. In their mind they were "driving" too.

There is no way I would let a first timer drive picking up a thread and single pointing action threads.

There is no way I would let a first timer drive picking up a thread and single pointing action threads.[/QUOTE]

+1
That is one of the most difficult and risky processes and could lead to a catastrophic mishap
also fitting the action threads perfectly is very critical to the process of accuracy.

My lathe has an emergency stop that will stop everything almost instantaneously and it has
saved me and the work more than once. (I'm Sorry to say).

Many other things are just as important but this one could ruin a barrel tenon and lead to
rework.

That the reason he appears to furnish pre threaded barrels.

J E CUSTOM

In the gunsmithing class video, he's right behind a guy who is turning the barrel tenon. However, in the next segment the guy is trying the receiver on the threaded tenon. I thought I saw something about pre-threaded barrels too, but this one wasn't. Gradous must be turning the threads himself on the 'smithing class rifles.

In the chambering operation, he probably has a reamer stop on the feed.

The same guy is parting off the muzzle end, and appears to be starting a crown, with Gradous's hand on the crossfeed.

I don't know if what they're allowed to do themselves is worth $1000 extra, but it must be to some.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts