Rifle builder that lets you build you're own rifle

Building a rifle under the instruction of Mr. Gradous, priceless!!!! If I had the means I would jump on that in a heart beat!!!

If I had the money, but not the skill and equipment, I would want to participate in the build of my own custom rifle for the satisfaction, knowledge, and pride gained from the experience.

To me, it's the same principal as hunting. It would certainly be cheaper just to call a relative, or a friend, or an outfitter, and pay them to kill something for me, but...............

As for impacting 'smiths that are supporting families, I'm guessing that's what Mr. Gradous is doing too.

I do not know Mr. Gradous, but I can appreciate his patience, and willingness to help someone who wants to do as much of the work as they can and are able to pay for the experience. Think about it. You get up in the morning knowing that you're going spend the day in a gunshop working on your own custom rifle. That's going to be a real good day! Bigngreen's right. Priceless.

Good hunting, Tom

If that's the kind of rifle you want that's fine but that isn't the kind of rifle that is being discussed. The rifles being discussed take about $3000 for parts. Only certain kinds of parts can be used. If you want to build it yourself it's $2250 labor. If you don't want to build it yourself it's $1250 labor. I believe that extra $1000 does include a cabin for a week.

I just sighted in a 25-06AI that I had built and it sure didnt cost me any $3000 in parts! You must be dreaming or looking at some mighty expensive catalogs

Sully, I agree with you, because no way I could afford that kind of money. But if you start out with a $1000 custom action, $500 fluted top-line barrel, $225 trigger, $350 floor metal, $120 muzzle brake and a $500-$1000 stock, you're there, without bases, rings and a good scope. Add those in and you're at $4000 (or more).

My speed is a donor Weatherby, Remington, Mauser, Winchester, or Savage action, unfluted Lilja barrel, tuned factory trigger, stock floor metal, Shuler brake, and a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. Add $75 for Weaver Grand Slam steel bases with Burris Signature Zee rings and you're still under $1200. With a decent scope, $1500. With these parts, a well-built rifle can be a no frills sub-1/2 moa shooter for around $2200. If you prefer wood, for $350 more you can upgrade to a laminate or walnut Accurate Innovations stock. Still under $2600.
This approach isn't for everyone, so for the guys that can afford a high-dollar rifle, power to them, and to the people who build (or help them) build it.

Got long-winded again.....Sorry, old guys do that.

Tom

I just sighted in a 25-06AI that I had built and it sure didnt cost me any $3000 in parts!
That's ok too but all that means is your 25-06 isn't the type of rifle being discussed either.
You must be dreaming or looking at some mighty expensive catalogs
No, I just researched the type of rifles that are typically built by Robert Gradous and the people who build their own at his shop.

Lowlight did a review of Gradous and the process. It's published on snipers hide. I'm thinking it would be interesting to most guys but once they saw what it took would elect to save their time and money and just have it done. Especially if you crashed the lathe, wrecked an action or barrel. All it takes is one turn of a handle the wrong direction or a split second late. Kind of takes the fun out of doing it yourself. I doubt a novice gets to do much more than watch and stir epoxy.

Reminds me of a sign I saw that went something like this.

Labor rate:
$50 per hour
$75 if you watch
$100 if you help

My hat's off to Gradous. When we have visitors our production goes to a crawl due to having to reply to every question or suggestion.

+1

Very few people could just build a rifle or any other firearm even with someone watching/directing
without a mishap.

A person has to crawl before they can walk by doing the simple things first, and it helps if they have
a background in machining.

No one is born a gunsmith and the craft has to be learned like all of the crafts.

The only way I would do this is to spend 100% of the time watching and coaching with the
understanding that "If you break it you buy it" and I would personally check everything at
least Twice.

I to am impressed with anyone with the cojones to do this. A firearm is not forgiving and
can/will kill you if not done properly.

I am not saying that only a few can become/learn to be a Gunsmith Because if I can, most people
can with proper guidance and training.

Showing someone how to headspace a Savage is one thing but building an accurate rifle from
scratch is another In my opinion.

All I can say is WOW.

J E CUSTOM

Sully, I agree with you, because no way I could afford that kind of money. But if you start out with a $1000 custom action, $500 fluted top-line barrel, $225 trigger, $350 floor metal, $120 muzzle brake and a $500-$1000 stock, you're there, without bases, rings and a good scope. Add those in and you're at $4000 (or more).

My speed is a donor Weatherby, Remington, Mauser, Winchester, or Savage action, unfluted Lilja barrel, tuned factory trigger, stock floor metal, Shuler brake, and a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. Add $75 for Weaver Grand Slam steel bases with Burris Signature Zee rings and you're still under $1200. With a decent scope, $1500. With these parts, a well-built rifle can be a no frills sub-1/2 moa shooter for around $2200. If you prefer wood, for $350 more you can upgrade to a laminate or walnut Accurate Innovations stock. Still under $2600.
This approach isn't for everyone, so for the guys that can afford a high-dollar rifle, power to them, and to the people who build (or help them) build it.

Got long-winded again.....Sorry, old guys do that.

Tom

First off one doesnt have to start out with some $1000 action! I purchased my stainless M700 from some fellas that advertise over on the 6mm board and it was $600...fully reworked and blue printed..the chambered and fitted barrel cost me another $400. I bought a SST Brux barrel...so regardless of the caliber Id still have that $1000 in a stainless barreled rifle. Bottom metal was bought...brand new...from E-bay for $75. Stock was a factory new..never used laminated wood stock (Remington factory stock) from Ebay and it was a little less than $75. It carrys an EGW rail and Leupold QD rings bought from Optics Planet and the Nikon scope on it was about $275 from Ebay.

All bolted together and with factory 25-06 ammo ( Not AI ammo) it shoots 2 shots touching and the 3rd about 3/16 away at 100 yards.

For the difference in $$...take a guess which one Id rather have!

Lowlight did a review of Gradous and the process. It's published on snipers hide. I'm thinking it would be interesting to most guys but once they saw what it took would elect to save their time and money and just have it done. Especially if you crashed the lathe, wrecked an action or barrel. All it takes is one turn of a handle the wrong direction or a split second late. Kind of takes the fun out of doing it yourself. I doubt a novice gets to do much more than watch and stir epoxy.

Reminds me of a sign I saw that went something like this.

Labor rate:
$50 per hour
$75 if you watch
$100 if you help

My hat's off to Gradous. When we have visitors our production goes to a crawl due to having to reply to every question or suggestion.
Exactly what I was thinking . Who takes the blame if a barrel gets ruined etc ?

First off one doesnt have to start out with some $1000 action! I purchased my stainless M700 from some fellas that advertise over on the 6mm board and it was $600...fully reworked and blue printed..
Robert Gradous won't use a 700 action.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.