Assemble My Own Rifle?

jakeSCH

I decided to go down a rabbit hole in the beginning of last year to purchase all my own parts to build my a light weight hunting rifle. Now that I am at the point of buying tools to assembly, I am getting cold feet and wondering if I should just sent off to LRI.

- Defiance Anti LA Mag
- Proof Research Light Weight Mountain Hunter
- Proof Defiance Prefit (300 WM w/ 1-9.4 twist 24" barrel)
- Trigger Tech R700 special
- Hawkins R700 BDL kit
- I will add a brake later on

Basically I am at the point where I need to either buy the tools needed to move forward to ship it off. I do believe that if I build it myself I will appreciate the rifle more...which is why I went the prefit route.

I would love to hear from others who went on the journey, put their own rifles together. Do you think the experience was worth it? On that note, I love reloading my own ammo and I see this as the next step / extension.

Tools I would need to purchase
- Torque Wrench (10 to 150 ft-lb)
- Action Wrench
- Barrel Vice
- 300 WM headspace go / no go gauge

Any specific recommendations of which ones to buy? I know defiance has their own action wrench, but not sure if it would be better buying a general one instead? Barrel vice recommendations?

Appreciate all feedback!!!

Jake

I would do it myself you will buy the tools once and you can always rent or borrow head space gauges there is not much to it, the bedding will be the most time consuming part it is not hard though
I built a 6.5 prc 2yrs ago . I had straight jacket armory fit the barrel chamber and headspace too a West TxOrdance switch lug that allows me too switch barrels by loosening the switch and hand tighten or loosen without any other tools my next barrel will be a 300 wsm pre fitted too my action without me sending the action my rifle is a Curtis Axiom with a proof Sendera light in addition I ordered a AG stock and diamond trigger tech trigger and put it all together myself . It shoots as good as I could possibly hope for . The switch lug makes it easy with the prefits.

Let me start by saying I am not a very mechanical person period. I am the guy who doesn't know the name of the tools and turns the screwdriver the wrong way half the time.
With that said I assembled many ARs and many bolt guns. Lots of Savages, a couple defiances, a few tikkas and one Big Horn TL3.
They all shoot exceptional and really the only struggle has been gas systems on ARs. So my opinion is go for it. I will even let you borrow my defiance action wrench to help you out.
Did you have your barrel shouldered for your defiance? If so your headspace should be right. You can double check it but it should be set already. Keep us up to date.

I built a 6.5 prc 2yrs ago . I had straight jacket armory fit the barrel chamber and headspace too a West TxOrdance switch lug that allows me too switch barrels by loosening the switch and hand tighten or loosen without any other tools my next barrel will be a 300 wsm pre fitted too my action without me sending the action my rifle is a Curtis Axiom with a proof Sendera light in addition I ordered a AG stock and diamond trigger tech trigger and put it all together myself . It shoots as good as I could possibly hope for . The switch lug makes it easy with the prefits.
If I can help in any way let me know I can give you further detail too help you build your rifle

First, its not a rabbit hole; its the Grand Canyon! Once you finish your first rifle, shoot it and go "Wow"!; you will be collecting parts for rifle no. 2! Then 3, and then you will join our group; "I can stop anytime I want.". And no, there is no known cure. At least that I will accept as viable. 😱

I got nervous in 2014 and had a friend that worked at X-Caliber Barrels mount the barrel on a Savage.
In the last few years things have progressed for me in knowledge and confidence, I wish I would have bought the tools and did it myself. Not that my buddy did a poor job, the rifle is a tack driver.
But it's pretty easy and there are ways around the no-go gauge, as simple as scotch tape.
Since that gun I have done 3 for me and my boys
and one for a friend. Two were Tikka actions. All we're done with barrel nuts.
Bedding a stick is super simple. Just takes a little time.
The only reason I want a smith to maybe mount my barrels now is if I'm gonna have them true the action/bolt face they might as well mount the barrel.
JMTCW

If you want affordable the Viper barrel vise is an easy choice, and you can get them from Altus. If you aren't going to be swapping barrels every five minutes this is a great option to have the means to do it on your own.

https://www.altusshooting.com/products/viper-barrel-vise

Dewalt sells what they call a tire change kit for about $100. Its a torque wrench, breaker bar, and some sockets designed for changing the wheels on your vehicle. I bought it to do that and have it serve double duty to torque on barrels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...839/314629459?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

When researching action wrenches the Bugholes offering came mostly highly recommended so I purchased one and have to say the quality is excellent.

http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/r700-bug-aw.htm

I decided to go down a rabbit hole in the beginning of last year to purchase all my own parts to build my a light weight hunting rifle. Now that I am at the point of buying tools to assembly, I am getting cold feet and wondering if I should just sent off to LRI.

- Defiance Anti LA Mag
- Proof Research Light Weight Mountain Hunter
- Proof Defiance Prefit (300 WM w/ 1-9.4 twist 24" barrel)
- Trigger Tech R700 special
- Hawkins R700 BDL kit
- I will add a brake later on

Basically I am at the point where I need to either buy the tools needed to move forward to ship it off. I do believe that if I build it myself I will appreciate the rifle more...which is why I went the prefit route.

I would love to hear from others who went on the journey, put their own rifles together. Do you think the experience was worth it? On that note, I love reloading my own ammo and I see this as the next step / extension.

Tools I would need to purchase
- Torque Wrench (10 to 150 ft-lb)
- Action Wrench
- Barrel Vice
- 300 WM headspace go / no go gauge

Any specific recommendations of which ones to buy? I know defiance has their own action wrench, but not sure if it would be better buying a general one instead? Barrel vice recommendations?

Appreciate all feedback!!!

Jake
Give it a shot! Even if u mess it up (im sure u wont) the Smith's bill wont be much different.

Might as well start watching Craigslist for a good old south bend 9 or 10" lathe for the garage! This rabbit hole is endless!
20200115_191424.jpg

Give it a shot! Even if u mess it up (im sure u wont) the Smith's bill wont be much different.

Might as well start watching Craigslist for a good old south bend 9 or 10" lathe for the garage! This rabbit hole is endless!View attachment 330887
I should have kept mine but sold it and the mill just not enough time for everything I like too do

Harbor Freight usually has torque wrench on sale and work reasonably well. If you are going through the effort to build s rifle do not skimp on a go-gauge. The chamber dimension is the most critical aspect of accurate firearm so why would use anything else?
Can't wait for all the Hoity Toities to bash the very mention of a Harbor Frieght tool. 😂
Get ready Muddy, I can here em comin