Results of ELD-X testing reloads

MagTen

Is anyone loading the new ELD-X bullets and getting very good results on paper at 200-500 yard ranges? If so what powder and cartridge are you using.

I just finished load development on my custom 300 RUM with the 212s. I had no problems getting them to shoot. My load ended up just shy of 3100 fps with <10 fps ES and groups measuring slightly less than 1" at 330 yards.

Load specs:

300 RUM; 28" 10 Twist Krieger 5R
Nosler brass 2x fired
212 ELD-X
Fed 215M
88.7 grains Retumbo
.095 off the lands.

I'm heading to Africa in 2 weeks so I didn't have a lot of time to mess around with load development. My rifle (Savage 111 .300 Win Mag) won't cycle long rounds so I loaded 200g ELD-X with 80g of Retumbo pretty short. I got them shooting under MOA at 100 yds. I've been shooting a lot of rocks off of my sticks out to 500yds. They seem to shoot great. I'm getting ready to see how good on 5 plus animals.

I just finished load development on my custom 300 RUM with the 212s. I had no problems getting them to shoot. My load ended up just shy of 3100 fps with <10 fps ES and groups measuring slightly less than 1" at 330 yards.

Load specs:

300 RUM; 28" 10 Twist Krieger 5R
Nosler brass 2x fired
212 ELD-X
Fed 215M
88.7 grains Retumbo
.095 off the lands.

I am glad you got that tight a group. I can't see a 1" dot at 330 yards.

I'm heading to Africa in 2 weeks so I didn't have a lot of time to mess around with load development. My rifle (Savage 111 .300 Win Mag) won't cycle long rounds so I loaded 200g ELD-X with 80g of Retumbo pretty short. I got them shooting under MOA at 100 yds. I've been shooting a lot of rocks off of my sticks out to 500yds. They seem to shoot great. I'm getting ready to see how good on 5 plus animals.

Bussum wide open. Good luck.

Do us all a favor if you can and recover any bullets that don't pass through and then do a nice write up on your hunt here when you get back.

African game is a great way to field test any bullet. If you need any help while you're there or if you have any time as yet unfilled drop me a line. I have some great connections there particularly in South Africa.

Do us all a favor if you can and recover any bullets that don't pass through and then do a nice write up on your hunt here when you get back.

African game is a great way to field test any bullet. If you need any help while you're there or if you have any time as yet unfilled drop me a line. I have some great connections there particularly in South Africa.

Thank you. I'm going to try my hardest to recover the bullets and take pictures. KIKUYU LODGE | HUNTING SAFARIS - Home is where I'll be going.

Thanks. I'm going to try and recover all my shots and take pictures of how the bullet performed. I will be going to Kikuyu Lodge in South Africa.

Thanks. I'm going to try and recover all my shots and take pictures of how the bullet performed. I will be going to Kikuyu Lodge in South Africa.
I hope you have at least half as much fun as I did. One of my best friends runs the largest gun shop in the RSA and I think knows and is on good terms with every PH and outfitter in the whole region.

I did a write up on my trip here.

Yup! Premium optics come in handy for this kind of stuff.
I grew up in a family of tightwads. We'd spend what we had to for quality rifles, fishing and camping gear etc but for some reason my dad always decided to save money on glass going with cheap Bushnell Sportview and other similar crap scopes.

When I started buying my own I got a great bit of advice from a guy at the local range who told me, "Be willing to spend at least as much on your glass as you do on your Rifle".

He was so right, there really isn't a cheap road to quality glass. I saved enough to buy a top of the line 3.5-10x50 to go on my first 7mm STW and it was "eye opening" even in comparison to the scopes we had in the Army.

That's the bottom end of the scopes I own know and sit solely on rifles I have no intention to shoot beyond 400yds because they are fixed parallax.

I still think for the money a good used one is a hell of a start for someone just getting into med/large game hunting.

For my long shooters now I'm getting more and more attached to the VX6 4-24x52. I may eventually swap all of my IOR Tacticals and Leupold Mark 4's and replace them with the VX6.

For tactical rifles (Truck Guns) I really like the Trijicon Accupoint 1-6x24. Magnificent glass and the best illumination available. That's also what I have put on my med/short range 375Ruger for shooting big nasty things in the woods or on my trips back to Africa.

The 375R really offers teriffic ballistics out to 500yds with more than enough energy to drive through even a buff with the right bullet and yet it's still really pretty fun to shoot.

I almost picked up a 375 Rum instead but man I love the little Ruger. If I do anything I may just pick up another one and put a 28" tight twist barrel and see just how well it will shoot out to750yds.

I was really surprised at how mellow it was without the muzzle brake and once I added it I was in love. I just can't get the idea out of my mind of building a long one probably on a stainless M70 action.

Next trip over though I'm taking the M77 SharpShooter 7mm StW and the stainless .375.

I've got an invite to come on some cull hunts for Elephant and Hippo and if we can work it in a big Crock but mostly plainsgame and the biggest nastiest Wharthog Boar I can find to keep Miss Piggie company.

I'm getting to the last couple of decades of this kind of hunting so I'm nearing the end when it comes to adding more firepower. I'm also somewhat infatuated with the 416 Ruger too but I keep trying to talk myself out of it.

When I die and Mario and his kids clean out the gun room I just want to make sure each of them gets at least three nice rifles, two nice handguns, and a couple of fine shotguns each to remember me by.

Ok, I'm just rambling now HA!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.