7mm rem mag 162 eld-x results?

Well, I do believe I will put feelers out on some 23. This gun is shooting 22 so well I hate to get very far away from it. And I've got a friend loading retumbo so he said he'll let me load a few with it and see what the results are like.

Hey Varmint, I have loaded up some ELD-MATCH, 162 with 69.5 gn of Retumbo. Will be shooting them this weekend.
I have some 162 A-MAX with same grain shooting 2875 from a 24" barrel.
162 HPBT ,SAME GRAIN SHOOTING 2750 from same weapon.
I'll post the ELD results after I chrono them.gun)

Range results,(pasture plinking)
162Eld-Match ,7mm,Retumbo 69.5, CCI 200, 24" barrel 1@8 twist.
Shot 2850 fps.
69.5 is at the low end of my load data,so I will be able to experiment with hotter loads and compare shot groups (not fps),tight groups are more desirable than fastest round.

I acquired a 26" 1@8 .5 twist 6 land barrel.
Will be experimenting with after it gets threaded.

DryI planned on shooting yesterday instead of watching the football game. But I got lazy and watched the game haha glad I did! If the weather stays decent this weekend I will get out and fine tune my zero and try some retumbo loads. No luck finding RL23 so far

Last edited:
I planned on shooting yesterday instead of watching the football game. But I got lazy and watched the game haha glad I did! If the weather stays decent this weekend I will get out and fine tune my zero and try some retumbo loads. No luck finding RL26 so far

I've researched, and none of the powder companies list RL-26. Not even Alliant.
Maybe it's newer than the load charts.
Anyways it is around or a hint slower than Retumbo.
I just don't like messing with a powder that doesn't have a max load limit listed.

69.5 with 2850, and top limit is 73.5.Plenty of room for experiments.

I just don't like messing with a powder that doesn't have a max load limit listed.

Steve's Reloading Data Warning Page
Steve's Reloading Data Warning Page

Alliant does list the 162 amax with Rl26 with a max of 69 gr. that's where I got my data from.

I've begun to rely more on powder manufacturers data that bullet companies. Only reason I've stayed with hornady in this load is it's a new bullet with much more bearing surface than I've ever dealt with before, so not real sure how comparable pressures would be to something like an accubond or gameking in a similar weight.

I don't understand the quest for more fps. Faster isn't always better.
Horse power is useless unless you can get it to the ground.
If you get super high velocity, what's your short range BC.
If it's faster than the manufacturer rated it at,then you'll spend a lot of time and money figuring it all out,then realize that you will never shoot that far because you don't have enough scope to get you there.

Disclaimer. " This is not directed to any one ,just a general statement". gun)

I don't understand the quest for more fps. Faster isn't always better.
Horse power is useless unless you can get it to the ground.
If you get super high velocity, what's your short range BC.
If it's faster than the manufacturer rated it at,then you'll spend a lot of time and money figuring it all out,then realize that you will never shoot that far because you don't have enough scope to get you there.

Disclaimer. " This is not directed to any one ,just a general statement". gun)

Yes, you have a point, but then it could be said, "why not just use a 7/08, or 280?" People buy magnums for a reason, and that reason by and large is velocity. I follow where you're coming from, and speaking in general terms of a velocity window for a certain caliber, 2900-3000fps in this case with the 7mm and 162. But if more velocity is possible, all things being equal, why not pursue it?

Yes, you have a point, but then it could be said, "why not just use a 7/08, or 280?" People buy magnums for a reason, and that reason by and large is velocity. I follow where you're coming from, and speaking in general terms of a velocity window for a certain caliber, 2900-3000fps in this case with the 7mm and 162. But if more velocity is possible, all things being equal, why not pursue it?

Well said sir. I believe in being as fast as I can be while being accurate. This rifle tends to group better the faster I push the pill. And this is as fast as I will go with this particular bullet. 2900 seems to be right in the ballpark with where everybody else is so it's plenty for me!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts