Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag/ Hornady 162 ELD-X First Shots

Earlier this year I picked up a used near new condition Savage 111 in 7mm Rem magnum at a local shop for $229. This is my first magnum caliber rifle and will replace a .308 AR10 for longer range hunting in the Oregon High Desert. I got a great deal on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 and picked up a Warne M667 base on sale. I used some Leupold MK4 high rings I had sitting on the shelf.

I bedded the entire factory stock to add rigidity except for the tang which is free floated and added a space on the buttpad made of Nike Lunarlon rubber. Other than that it's all stock. Trigger is not horrible but breaks at 4lbs.

I zeroed it today at 300 yards. I have 25 rounds through it so far using all Hornady 162 grain ELD-X factory ammo. I am very happy with the results so far. Once I get a supply of brass built up I will start load development with the ELD-X bullet.

I am getting an average velocity of 2767 FPS through the 22 inch barrel. I hoping for more velocity. Is this pretty typical velocity for this barrel length? I was hoping for 2900 or better.

2vxg7rm.jpg

29dfq4o.jpg

First six shot at 100 yards. Sighter at the bottom, 5 shot group in the center.

dm2ydy.jpg

First two groups at 300 yards with a sight adjustment in between.

1z526tj.jpg

Final 3 shot zero at 300 yards. The two other shot holes are from my buddies .308

25zjb7a.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.