28 Nosler twist rate for 162 Hornady ELD-X

Jeffpg

I have a couple of custom LR rifles in 28 Nosler that I shoot 195 Berger handloaded bullets in. The barrels have 1 in 8 twist rates and do quite well.
I'm building another 28 that I plan to shoot Hornady's 162 grain ELD-x Precision Hunter factory offering in.

What twist rate would you recommend?
I'm thinking a 1-9 but I'm open to suggestions, especially experienced ones.

Here's the factory load:
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/28-nosler-162-eld-x-precision-hunter#!/

I would do 1-9 also, I bet you could go all the way up to 180's if you wanted to
I thought so too and for the most part you're RV right but I get just enough flyers to keep me from hunting we with em. Now the 175's it'll shoot better and more consistantly. But, by MRC X3 seems like it was made for 160's and 162's and it's a 1-9 twist.

3,175 fps seems pretty low considering many run the 195 in the 3,100 fps range. Why not take advantage and run it faster, unless you just don't want to load for it, and get another 8 twist so you can run the 195's also. Shooting factory loads is always a crap shoot whether or not your gun will like the speed, seating depth, etc., or if they change something.

Based on my rifle stability chart to stabilize that bullet it will take a 1 in 8.75 twist. I would suggest a 1 in 8 if you are getting a new barrel so you can go heavier if you decide to late on.

You can do a check with the Berger SG calculator online. Running calcs for my 7mmRM shows a very stable value with a 160, 168 and 175 grain bullet, 1 to 9" twist rate in the 3200 fps range. You should get something like a SG=2.4 with anything above 1.5 being acceptable. Field performance confirms these results.

http://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator-3/

However it also determined my 22-250 Rem would be unstable with every .224 bullet made, but its the best shooter I own. Go figure.

I think you're spot on with the 1 in 9" twist rate. My pet load for my 7mm mag is the 162 eld-x with reloader 26. I have a Remington 700 and it has a 1 in 9.25" twist rate and it shoots .5 moa with that load and twist rate.

I've built two 7mm/300 WSM, two 7 LRM, and one 28 Nosler all with 9 twist barrels (one Proof CF, two Christensen Arms CF, and two Bartlien SS) and they all have done well with 175's (ELD-X Or ABLR) and Berger 180 HVLD's. I'm very confident you will be stabilized with a 1:9 at least up to 180g projectiles. We have never tried any of the heavier projectiles just because of mag length limitations, but during ladder tests etc even the mildest starting loads were always stabilized up to 180g projectiles.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.