28 nosler twist??

Ordering a 1/8 28 nosler barrel. My one .284 bad experience was with a 280ai in 1/9. It shoots 150s great but I really wanted to shoot 168s and it cant shoot them at all

The 1/8 recommendation sounds good to me
Are you sure it was a 1-9 or that it was suppose to be.
I've shot alot of 180 Bergers out of 9's and they shot just fine.

Ordering a 1/8 28 nosler barrel. My one .284 bad experience was with a 280ai in 1/9. It shoots 150s great but I really wanted to shoot 168s and it cant shoot them at all

The 1/8 recommendation sounds good to me
The 1:9 I built loved 168 vlds. I'm doubtful the twist was the reason your rifle didn't like them.

I've got a new question. If I go 1:8, how light ofva bullet can i still use effectively? I've got lots of 160 accubonds and my 1:9 shoots them light out. It's just doesn't stabilize anything over 175 consistently.
My 28 nosler 1-8 twist will shoot 160 accubond about 2 to 2 1/2 inch group all the time at 300 yards. Shoot an elk with them at 350 yards and drt!

The 1:9 I built loved 168 vlds. I'm doubtful the twist was the reason your rifle didn't like them.

Definitely could be right. I was very surprised 1/9 didn't cut it. I have made stronger efforts with other rifles to get to shoot but just went to the 150ablr and didn't look back

I've been scratching my head on this as well. My 1:9 and 1:9.25 twr rifles have shot everything up to the 160-175gr class bullets fine at least to the extent of stabilizing well.

The only exception to that has been with mono's that of course take a tighter twist for the same weight bullet.

If I were to build another 7mm anytime soon though I would probably go with a 1:8 or 1:8.5 for the heavier mono's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.