28 nosler twist??

vino

If one were to build a 28 nosler to shoot the berger 195 grain what is the best twist 1-8 or 1-9?

+1 for the 1-8 unless you just happen to live and do all your shooting somewhere like Leadville Colorado at a really high elevation. But even then the 8 twist wont hurt a thing.

Yeah. Good luck and don't settle for anything else but what you want. It may take longer but you will be happier in the end. Cry Once.

Berger lists optimum twist at 1:8.3 or faster. The reason most 28 Nosler are made with a 1:9 is because that is what Nosler had it SAAMI at. The 1:9 allows for a wide range of projectiles up to 175gr. I did a lot of research on the 28 Nosler and rifle builders. I bought a Montana Rifle Company EX2. They built it for me with a 1:8.5 twist, 26" barrel, 3.650" long magazine box, and delta v style muzzle brake. The whole package was a incredible price of $1500! I topped it with a EGW -20 picatinny rail, Valdada steel rings, and a Burris Verocity 4x20x50 FFP scope. The whole package was $2500. I've been working up my loads and are already shooting 1/2 moa. My load is the Berger 195gr, 79.6gr Retumbo, 0.012" off the lands, muzzle velocity is 3075fps. For $2500 bucks it a outstanding package to get a quality long range rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 595
BTW, It took MRC 11 months to build it. My dealer had 3 built to my specifications, 2 are sold. I believe 1 is still available.

Ive used 8.5 tw for all the ones Ive built so far and they have stabilized and shot lights out. At my altitude of 800 feet I can shoot them down to 0 degrees and still have a sg of 1.4. They are going 3100-3140 fps. I will have a few instock in a few weeks. I had a few extra barrels, stocks etc laying around.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles

Ive used 8.5 tw for all the ones Ive built so far and they have stabilized and shot lights out. At my altitude of 800 feet I can shoot them down to 0 degrees and still have a sg of 1.4. They are going 3100-3140 fps. I will have a few instock in a few weeks. I had a few extra barrels, stocks etc laying around.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
You wouldn't still be building rifles like that would you?

You wouldn't still be building rifles like that would you?
Yes he is, Ryan Pierce Piercision Rifles. He builds fantastic rifles. He's rebarreling my 7lrm to 28 nosler, probably going to build me a 300 norma improved, as well as a 22 creedmoor. His machine work and truing your barrel is second to none.

If one were to build a 28 nosler to shoot the berger 195 grain what is the best twist 1-8 or 1-9?
Depends on what bullets you plan to shoot. The safe bet is go go 1:8.5 or 1:8 if you plan to shoot the heavies and especially if you are one who wants to shoot the latest, longest, heaviest for caliber bullets being produced.

Anyone who desires to do so would be better off going one twist faster than the current heaviest for caliber bullets available today requires because the odds are, sooner rather than later a longer, heavier, higher BC bullet will hit the market.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.