Removing alum jaw residue from barrrel

jhfleming

My gunsmith didn't protect the barrel when chucking it in the lathe so I have alum jaw bits on the barrel finish does anyone know how to remove it without damaging the barrel finish (flat black)? Gunsmith has gone bankrupt, gee I wonder why.

My gunsmith didn't protect the barrel when chucking it in the lathe so I have alum jaw bits on the barrel finish does anyone know how to remove it without damaging the barrel finish (flat black)? Gunsmith has gone bankrupt, gee I wonder why.

Unless it is very heavy, Vinegar should remove it without harming the finish. Be sure and wash the barrel and oil it as soon as you have it cleaned. Don't use any abrasives to apply the vinegar (Just a soft cloth).

To bad he used Aluminum. I like to use copper for softeners, so I can clean with any type of bore solvent.

J E CUSTOM

Your 'gunsmith' did protect your barrel. He could have just run the steel jaws of the chuck against the matte finish and seriously damaged it. Instead, he "padded" those steel jaws with aluminum. But, he should have cleaned the residue off. Most bore cleaners and sometimes just some WD-40 with a soft cotton cloth will remove that residue.:rolleyes:

Shortgrass is spot on. My barrel vise uses aluminum jaws and the lathe spiders have brass tips. WD40 or Boretech Eliminator is what we use to wipe off the metal transfer.

Vinegar will wipe your bluing or parkerizing right off.

i don't even work on barrels that are finished unless the customer knows that I might put a mark on it. It's not worth my time to waste resources on trying to save a 50 dollar re-finish job. also precision machine work is not accomplished by work holding with material that may flex. There are certain times that this may work but for any precision work I'll probably be scratching your barrel.

IMO he could gave discussed it with you.

Perhaps he failed to discuss overly often.

I use WD40 to clean off aluminum marks from barrel vices or soft jaws. Followed by my favorite external preservative. EaseOx.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.