removing camo tape residue from fiberglass stock and barrel

jlvandersnick

I put some of that camo tape on a couple of guns with HS precision stocks about 10 years ago. Took the tape off, and now have a bunch of residue left on. Seems like it is almost baked on

"Goo gone" seemd like a candidate for removal, but tried it and it doesn't seem to do much.....any other options? Stocks and metal (one SS and one chrome moly)

I put some of that camo tape on a couple of guns with HS precision stocks about 10 years ago. Took the tape off, and now have a bunch of residue left on. Seems like it is almost baked on

"Goo gone" seemd like a candidate for removal, but tried it and it doesn't seem to do much.....any other options? Stocks and metal (one SS and one chrome moly)
Use Goo Gone & a magic eraser

The aerosol light oils that I've used (WD-40, PB-Blaster, & the now NLA GM Heat Valve Lubricant) to remove adhesive residue have worked fairly well. Once in a while I encounter some particularly well stuck and I'd had to resort to my wife's "Goo Gone" product to get it off. I usually use a rag soaked in Iso-Propyl Alcohol or brake cleaner to remove the oil residue.

I just cleaned a couple of my father in laws guns that were severely neglected. On one he had wrapped gray duct tape around the fore arm to hold it to the barrel after the screw came out and was lost. It had been on there 10 years or so. Goo gone did the trick but it took several applications and had to let it sit a couple hours saturated. It was a mess but goo gone did the job.

The best product is General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner by 3M, (3M part No. 08984).

It is the standard for body shops for removing tape and for eliminating oils and silicon residue before painting. Unlike most of the other suggestions, it rarely, if ever, will damage a cured finish, although I admit I haven't used it on oil finished wood. I've used it for years when doing camo paint jobs on gun stocks, when refinishing golf club heads (my other hobby), or before applying epoxy to metal surfaces. My wife uses it to remove black marks on woodwork, including on well-cured latex paint.

You can find it at auto body supply stores or at Amazon. It is not cheap, but is an excellent product to have in your workshop.

Use WD-40. It will take the adhesive clean off.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.