removing camo tape residue from fiberglass stock and barrel

USE AN OIL!!
Use a gun oil, wd-40, 3 in 1, baby oil whatever......don't use acetone, carb clean, brake clean......it will eat the varnish right off. I would use a gun oil like rem oil, baby oil or similar.
I have tried this many times on things and OIL always takes it off way better than an something you would think would work.....it don't.

I cleaned a friend's composite shotgun stock with Hoppies, alcohol, and acetone, the adhesive seemed to etch the plastic stock. Got it off it looked dull but OK, he was pleased but I would never use tape to camo a stock.

Force me to re-write that old saying then why don't ya? OK< here goes:

Gasoline is for removing camo tape munge. (Used to be for washing parts.)
Alcohol is for drinking.
Nitro-methane is for racing!

Seriously though, any of the more active solvents like acetone, MEK, etc. should used with great caution. They'll dissolve a lot more than just the munge. As IHFarmer above (great user name btw!) said, use an oil. It gets under the adhesive without actually dissolving anything.

Force me to re-write that old saying then why don't ya? OK< here goes:

Gasoline is for removing camo tape munge. (Used to be for washing parts.)
Alcohol is for drinking.
Nitro-methane is for racing!

Seriously though, any of the more active solvents like acetone, MEK, etc. should used with great caution. They'll dissolve a lot more than just the munge. As IHFarmer above (great user name btw!) said, use an oil. It gets under the adhesive without actually dissolving anything.
Thanks!!
I love my International Harvester tractors, I'm a farmer and my truck is an 07 classic Duramax.

Last edited:
If you know the manufacturer's name you could call their help number or Customer Service and ask them.
My dad taught me to always test for how to remove/undo things before I screwed, bolted, glued stuff together; worked good for dating and marriage too!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.