Remounting a scope on a picatinny rail.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by EdWalton, Jun 6, 2015.

1. EdWalton

EdWalton Well-Known Member

I’ve mounted my Schmidt & Bender to my Remington 700 using a Night Force picatinny rail with 20 moa of drop, and DNZ one piece rings. When working on the stock I removed the scope at the rail, I didn’t need to remove the rail from the action, after remounting the scope on the rail I was expecting my rig to still be close to zero, it was 4” low. Am I doing something wrong or will it be out every time it’s remounted?

Thank You

Ed

2. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

Ed, if you worked on the stock it's probable that the position of the action/barrel in the stock has changed. You don't say what work you did no on the stock but that's the first place I'd look for the reason your POI has changed - I'm assuming at 100 yards. A mil at 100 yards is about 3.6 inches. Four inches would be about 1.11 mils. That's about .06 degrees on angle change on the bore. It wouldn't take much change in the stock to generate the difference you describe.
    If I messed up the math on this one somebody send up a flare.:D

3. EdWalton

Previously I had changed the trigger, but the old pin for the bolt release wouldn’t fit in the new trigger, a friend fabricated a replacement so I could get the release functioning again.
    It’s a new H & S stock with an aluminum bedding block, the barreled action drops in so nice, I’ve not considered that I may not have replaced the action in the same place as when I originally sighted in.
    Thank You
    Ed

4. bill123

bill123 Well-Known Member

Did u push the rings forward on the rail when installing them?

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Anytime you remove a scope, even with as precise as a picatinny setup is, you will still need to check your zero on paper at the range, and adjust as necessary.

6. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l6LXAXu15eg[/ame]

7. EdWalton

Yes, I started the original mounting with the rings all the way forward, then when remounting I pushed them all the way forward.

Thank You

Ed

8. EdWalton

I wish I could see your video, unfortunately I've got something miss set in my browser and can't see any videos posted on this sight.

9. bill123

bill123 Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. Just hoping it was the easy fix first.

10. EdWalton

No insult taken, I just watched the YouTube video from Night force (originally shared by C. O. Shooter), obviously I'm doing something wrong, and I don't believe it's my equipment.

Thank You

Ed

11. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

I am absolutely sure that I do stuff wrong, but every time I take the action out of the stock I re zero. Many, many times it is off further than I though possible. I am not talking about taking the scope off, I am talking about simply taking the action out of the stock. I wouldn't worry much about it. Fact of life.

Just my .02