Remounting a scope on a picatinny rail.

EdWalton

I've mounted my Schmidt & Bender to my Remington 700 using a Night Force picatinny rail with 20 moa of drop, and DNZ one piece rings. When working on the stock I removed the scope at the rail, I didn't need to remove the rail from the action, after remounting the scope on the rail I was expecting my rig to still be close to zero, it was 4" low. Am I doing something wrong or will it be out every time it's remounted?

Thank You

Ed

Ed, if you worked on the stock it's probable that the position of the action/barrel in the stock has changed. You don't say what work you did no on the stock but that's the first place I'd look for the reason your POI has changed - I'm assuming at 100 yards. A mil at 100 yards is about 3.6 inches. Four inches would be about 1.11 mils. That's about .06 degrees on angle change on the bore. It wouldn't take much change in the stock to generate the difference you describe.
If I messed up the math on this one somebody send up a flare.:D

Previously I had changed the trigger, but the old pin for the bolt release wouldn't fit in the new trigger, a friend fabricated a replacement so I could get the release functioning again.
It's a new H & S stock with an aluminum bedding block, the barreled action drops in so nice, I've not considered that I may not have replaced the action in the same place as when I originally sighted in.
Thank You
Ed

Anytime you remove a scope, even with as precise as a picatinny setup is, you will still need to check your zero on paper at the range, and adjust as necessary.

Yes, I started the original mounting with the rings all the way forward, then when remounting I pushed them all the way forward.

Thank You

Ed
Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. Just hoping it was the easy fix first.

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. Just hoping it was the easy fix first.
No insult taken, I just watched the YouTube video from Night force (originally shared by C. O. Shooter), obviously I'm doing something wrong, and I don't believe it's my equipment.

Thank You

Ed

I am absolutely sure that I do stuff wrong, but every time I take the action out of the stock I re zero. Many, many times it is off further than I though possible. I am not talking about taking the scope off, I am talking about simply taking the action out of the stock. I wouldn't worry much about it. Fact of life.

Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts