Remounting scope change point of impact?

mnhunter2

I just had a custom turret installed on my rifle and had to send in the bare scope in to get it installed and after getting it back and put back on my rifle my point of impact has changed drastically, vertically it was 1/2" high at 50 yds to 8" high at 50 yds horizontally it stayed the same, that seems like a huge change and I was wondering if that could be expected or do I have something wrong with how I remounted the scope, thoughts?

A point of aim (POA)/ point of impact (POI) difference should be expected, especially if taking the optic out of the rings/mount and then remounting.
In other words YES 😁

I just had a custom turret installed on my rifle and had to send in the bare scope in to get it installed and after getting it back and put back on my rifle my point of impact has changed drastically, vertically it was 1/2" high at 50 yds to 8" high at 50 yds horizontally it stayed the same, that seems like a huge change and I was wondering if that could be expected or do I have something wrong with how I remounted the scope, thoughts?
You just had a custom turret installed on the scope and you expect that they didn't move the setting doing it. Not likely. Most good shops would have centered the turret when done.

Last edited:
Odds are good the adjustment just got turned while the new turret was being installed. A 16 moa vertical difference won't show up due to a re-mount. a slight shift of 1-2moa in any direction could be expected but not much more unless your rail or rings are way out of whack