Scope Clearance w/ Picatinny Rail

Brydawg512

Hello all,

Just picked up my new Rem 700 5r and am test fitting my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 on the rifle. I am using the Seekins Precision 20 moa base with Seekins 30mm Low Rings. The scope clears the barrel with a nice gap, but the front of the scope is extremely close to contacting the picatinny rail. Additionally, the rear where the magnification control is at is very close to the rail. Do I need to order the medium rings? I have attached photos below. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 15630719999631246197717082170815.jpg
    15630719999631246197717082170815.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 532
  • 15630721206947965281718568563708.jpg
    15630721206947965281718568563708.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 504
I had a situation like that on the front once. I ended up taking a Dremel or hack saw and cutting off one segment on the rail. Then pained it up with a Birchwood Casey touch up pen.

The back end is more of a problem. If you are needing to more the scope forward so that you get the correct eye relief then you'll need to get a little higher rings. Or if you feel brave you could cut out a curved notch on the back end of the rail.

My only concern is with the front of the scope and how close it is... will recoil send the scope into the base and damage it?

Good question. It won't in its current configuration if torqued properly. It definitely won't if you remove a little from the front and rear of the rail. I would say you have your scope perfect right now.

Good question. It won't in its current configuration if torqued properly. It definitely won't if you remove a little from the front and rear of the rail. I would say you have your scope perfect right now.

Thank you all very much. Luckily, my eye relief seems to be perfect where it clears both the front and back which is a relief. Seems like I may need a thin cheek pad in the rear to bring me up a little, but it seems promising so far!

Hello all,

Just picked up my new Rem 700 5r and am test fitting my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 on the rifle. I am using the Seekins Precision 20 moa base with Seekins 30mm Low Rings. The scope clears the barrel with a nice gap, but the front of the scope is extremely close to contacting the picatinny rail. Additionally, the rear where the magnification control is at is very close to the rail. Do I need to order the medium rings? I have attached photos below. Thanks for the help.
Nah, looks good to me. As long as you can fit a folded piece of quality (thick) printer paper or a piece of card-stock between them, you should be fine.

And - whatever you do - don't OVERTORQUE the scope rings 'just to be sure'! That will damage the scope. If they (Seekins) said '14 in/lbs' for the rings, then that's it. Don't apply any more force. They will hold at the recommended torque. Your setup looks good! Now...go shoot and live the dream.
You should also check the scope manufacturer for tube torque specs...Call if they don't have them listed on their website. Sometimes the tube specs are thinner than what the ring manufacturer tested their rings with. If this happens, you can be up ****-creek if you over torque and bend a tube or crack an internal lens.

You can go 1-2 inch-pounds over (they underrate to be safe and give some wiggle-room), but I wouldn't go anymore than that. If they say "14 inch-pounds", 15 inch-pounds won't hurt anything. But I wouldn't go over that.

Like you said, proper torque is VERY important... A good quality inch-pound torque wrench is worth every penny. I use the Wheeler FAT Wrench.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you need more clearance in the rear because of the rail, try moving the scope another slot rearward... Looks fine!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.