Remington Mod 7 in 300 WSM for elk

Arkansasboy

Headed back to the mountains next November in MT. We have a great shooting 10# 7 mm Rem mag mod 700 but need to lighten up the load. Outfitter says to setup for up to 550 yards. Has anyone here specifically used this 20" or 22" 300 wsm (depending on which information you look at) little rifle?
We fell in love 20 years ago with a mod 7 in 7mm-08 for white tails. However this short barrel for long range is new ground.

Headed back to the mountains next November in MT. We have a great shooting 10# 7 mm Rem mag mod 700 but need to lighten up the load. Outfitter says to setup for up to 550 yards. Has anyone here specifically used this 20" or 22" 300 wsm (depending on which information you look at) little rifle?
We fell in love 20 years ago with a mod 7 in 7mm-08 for white tails. However this short barrel for long range is new ground.

Google 20" barrel 300wsm. Some great testing has been done in this subject all with results that show very little loss in velocity (like 150fps) from a 28" to a 20" I believe.
And the test was performed using the same gun, ammo etc. just cut an inch and test fire then repeat.

I am working on a new Sheep gun and my preliminary plan is a 20" carbon fiber barrel in a 300WSM planning to shoot 190 VLD.

At sub-600 yards, you could shoot him with a 16" .308 Win or 7mm-08 and that would be fine. A 20-22" .300WSM should be plenty for 550-600 yard shots. I'd be more worried about the load development and optics setup and ensuring that your setup is bulletproof.

What really wanted to carry was the 20" Browning Medallion 7mm08 in the safe. Whitetail dream. But possibly a little light in the britches for tough shots. Anyone shooting elk with little guy?

The .300WSM in a 20" barrel will push a 190VLD about 2800 to 2850. Still about 1800 FPS at 800 yards. Hammer Down!!!

300 WSM won't work with short barrel, no way, best sell it to me.

We kill elk all the time with 6.5's.

That 7-08, 300wsm, 308 with good bullets will do fine.

An outfitter friend of mine tells his clients when they ask the best caliber for elk— "Use the one you can hit what your aiming at". If you do that all will be fine.

Cool stuff more later.
While we are all online, what about an affordable but good aftermarket stock for Rem 700 stainless medium contour magnum action. The original crappy stock was glass bedded with small steel drill stock added 20 years ago, thus the 10# weight.

17798D12-6978-44C6-9557-4467A29C5F52.jpeg

Cool stuff more later.
While we are all online, what about an affordable but good aftermarket stock for Rem 700 stainless medium contour magnum action. The original crappy stock was glass bedded with small steel drill stock added 20 years ago, thus the 10# weight.

Try Stockys and look at the Bell and Carlson.
Get the one that has the full length aluminum bedding block.
It's on sale for less than $300

I'm pushing 215 Berger out of my 24" .300 WSM at 2750 FPS, you should be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.