7 mm remington favorate elk loads

ann brezinski

describe your rifle and the loads for it.
gary b
give velocity and what it shoots for group size if you can also.

168 Berger classic hunter hybrid with H1000 behind it, shooting 2950 fps, half inch groups out of a Tikka T3. I also love the Nosler 160 gr Accubond with RL-22, 3015 fps, .39 inch groups out of the same gun. Both drop elk well.

180 Hybrid or 180 VLD in a Rem semi custon with a 28" PacNor #6 bbl. Both loaded to the same velocity with Retumbo or H1000 produce less than .5 MOA cold bore. My current lots of H1000 loads run 2975 fps and my Retumbo loads run 3030 fps. H1000 produces single digit ES and Retumbo is around 20 fps ES.

Berger 168gr vld, wichester brass, cci250, 71gr retumbo, .0.005 off the lands, 3050fps. Shot 3, .5"groups last week. I have been on 2 elk hunts with this load. I have shot 2 bullets at bull elk. One@608yrds, one @550yrds. 2 successful hunts.

Factory 700 with a synthetic stock topped with a Luepold MK4 4.5-14x50
I'm running factory federal loaded 160gr nosler partitions. I'm getting about 3/4MOA 3 shot groups with it. I've never hunted elk but I'd have no problem with using this load on elk having used it with devastating effect on deer and aoudad in the past.

RBros built 7mm rem mag shoots 180 vld over 70.2 Retumbo with 215M primer and hornady brass, running 3040 out of a 27" broughton.

This rifle amazes me every time I shoot it.

RBros built 7mm rem mag shoots 180 vld over 70.2 Retumbo with 215M primer and hornady brass, running 3040 out of a 27" broughton.

This rifle amazes me every time I shoot it.

My chamber and throat are different than most, so this load will be to much for most other guns

140 grain Nosler Partition at 3150 fps does the trick !! It'll body Slam anything you can chest hit with it....never had any animal survive a hit with one from any angle or distance...this bullet has the test of time as it's advertisement !! Sure isn't any fly by night fad.....

RBROS Custom 7mm rem mag name Loretta , broughton barrel , DE 4 port break , berger 180 gr VLD, hornday brass , 215m fed primers , 70.5 grains of retumbo 2990 fps 1/2" groups

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103
My semi custom 700 with broughton 26" barrel was running 69.5 H1000 berger 180 fed 215 primer 2995-3010 fps .5moa all day long. gun)

This gun had over 1300 rounds thru it and I am getting it re barreled with a brux 26. Hopefully it shoots as good and same load.

Factory Remington Sendero SFII
180gr Berger Hunting VLD
70.2gr Retumbo, 215 Fed primers gets me 2975 FPS
Shoots 3/4 - 1 MOA out to 800 yards.
I have shot many groups under 1/2 MOA but not consistently enough to call it any better than a 3/4 MOA rifle.
800 yards is the farthest I've been able to shoot it at.

Shot my bull elk with it this year at 180 yards. DRT and I was pleasantly surprised at how little meat damage there was. Lungs and heart were devastated.
I'm extremely pleased at how well this combo worked on elk.

Factory 700 with a synthetic stock topped with a Luepold MK4 4.5-14x50
I'm running factory federal loaded 160gr nosler partitions. I'm getting about 3/4MOA 3 shot groups with it. I've never hunted elk but I'd have no problem with using this load on elk having used it with devastating effect on deer and aoudad in the past.

Was wondering why you like the partitions? I am buying a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag and I was wondering which would be a better bullet the partition or the Accubond?

Was wondering why you like the partitions? I am buying a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag and I was wondering which would be a better bullet the partition or the Accubond?

My experience with Accubonds is very limited I have taken only one animal with them out of my 300AX which to my surprised held together when impacting at ~3100fps.

I started using partition and A-Frames after not liking what I was seeing on the first few aoudad I killed with nosler ballistic silver tips, they're great on deer but weren't very suitable for the much tougher aoudad. I had no interest in LRH yet so B.C wasn't a big concern of mine I switched to those two. I just wanted a very tough expanding bullet. When I got into LRH, I moved to the swift siroccos and had nothing but good things say about them minus the fact Remington stopped offering them in factor loads.

I'd would go with the accubonds honestly. They're a plenty tough bullet I mean they must be to survive an shoulder impact at just under 3100fps and the sport a decent B.C as soon as I shoot the rest of my partitions I'll be making the switch to those for mine.

Was wondering if anyone here has tried the 7mm Rem Mag Long Range ABLR cartridge and if so what are your thoughts?

Also if you did, did you notice any cycling issues?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.