7 mm remington magnum

You have to be much more specific than that. Which action, what style of hunting do you do? Distance? Have a weight you wish to target or stay under for the rifle? Weight of bullet you plan to use all are going to be useful to help select a barrel.

range is about 800 yards
action 700 rem magnum
weight is 10 lbs with scope
am looking at a vortek 6-24 for a scope.
have a fiberglass stock.

I have a fluted 4 taper Satern on an elk/walking varmint rifle. Weight with 2.5-10x32 NF is ~8.25 lbs. I have another rifle that weighs right at 10 lbs and uses a barrel very similar to the Remington Sendero contour.

I have a #6 contour Krieger on my M700 7mm rem mag. It has a 1:9.5 twist rate. I have been very happy with this set up shooting 160 gr Nosler AB bullets.
If you are asking what barrel manufacturer to go with, there are lots of great options. Some people swear by cut rifling and some swear by button rifling. You can get info on both and decide for yourself.
I think there was a poll posted several months (maybe over a year) ago that showed what barrel manufactures were used / preferred. Maybe someone can recall that poll.

Good Luck

sirs,
what loads are you using in your rifles?
given a 160 to168 grain bullet and a speed of 3050 or so how far can one kill deer size anamels if one does his part.rifleshooting in 1/2 moa at 100 yards.
gary..

I'm using a #19 contour Kreiger on my long range rifle. Getting about 2970 fps with 180 gr Berger VLD's from a 7 rem mag.
Shot an elk this year at 1098 yds. He didn't go far. I would think your 160-168 gr bullet should kill deer just fine at that range. Take a look at your ballistic data to see what your velocity and energy should be.

I shoot a 7 mag, 26" Hart #6 contour barrel , 9 twist, Jewell trigger, HS Precision stock, topped with a Nightforce 8-32x56 MOAR scope. I load a Hornady 162 gr Aluminum Tipped Amax "National Match" bullet. MV of 3080. My longest shot to date on a whitetail at 1102 yds. Should be effective out to 1250 yds. Shoots .5 MOA or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.