7 mm remington magnum on elk

ann brezinski

given 160 to say 180 grain bullet out of a 7 mm remington or a 7 mm weatherby magnum what range are you shooting them at the long say 400 to out to 1000 yard distance that i see on the long range hunting shows.it is said that the average person can shoot these more accuratly then the 300 because of the recoil .that being said you can practice these shots more comfrotly in field shooting positions.do the average size elk being hit properly with these bullets go far at the hit,say 10 yards or maybe 50 yards .the ones i see on the tube and from convesations with some of these people hey travel about the same distance as being hit with a 300.

Furthest elk kill I have is at 1125 yards with the 7 RM and 162g AMAXs at 2950fps. Bull went maybe 30-40 yards and was dead. Bullet entered behind shoulder, shredded the lungs, and exited out behind the far shoulder. Bull walked a short ways and fell over dead with all 4 feet in the air. Put a 160-180g bullet where its suppose to, and a 7 RM will kill any elk that walks out to 1K.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.